Sign in to follow this  
susie b

Where were you when...?

There''s been a lot on tv yesterday/today about the death of Kurt Cobain ten years ago, and a lot of people asking ''where were you when it happened?'' This got me thinking about the most recent ''where were you?'' of note in the lives of City fans, which would have to be ''where were you when Hucks signed for us?'' and also ''where were you when the loan signings were announced?''
The answers to these questions for me were 1) sitting right where I am now, at the computer, snatching at snippets of gossip on different websites. I remember screaming as if we had scored a wonder goal, and then running aimlessly about the house frightening the cat; and 2) travelling back in the car from a weekend away at Centerparcs, listening to the test match (England v South Africa) on the radio and then, when the final wicket went down, turning over to Broadland and hearing it on the sports news bulletin. I remember thinking ''WOW''. Don''t think I could believe that two players of such quality would be pulling on the yellow and green for three months, and look where that has led us to now!
So, fellow posters, where were you when...?

Nice post - if only i was doing something interesting on said occasions! When we got the loanees i just remember staring at the front page of the pinkun in disbelief for most of the day instead of doing any work! Then Crouch came, then Harper. And i remember all the people suddenly sitting up and taking note and saying "bl**dy hell, what''s going on at Norwich!?!" People started to take us really seriously and that was nice.
But despite remaining positive, one thing was always in the back of my mind, even from the days they all arrived, "what''s going to happen when they go back?" It never entered my mind for a second that we would get Huckerby permanently.
So when i read on boxing day on teletext about him signing on i really couldn''t believe it. There''s something about teletext, it''s just some tacky looking words on a tv screen that look so dated, that i somehow didn''t believe it. I had to check several other sources before i was convinced, before i realised, the saint herself had delivered!!

On a separate note, I think an homage to Saint Delia is the answer to the empty plinth in Trafalgar Square!

I was in a pub full of wolves fans when we beat them in the play-off semi-finals,(For both games!). Most of them were OK but there were a few who made me fear for my well being.
I was in the same pub when we lost to Birmingham, again I was the only canary there. Not good!! I was in the away end when we beat West Brom 4-1 at the Hawthorns around 95-96.
My mate is a Baggie and he had 2 free tickets. Not being able to celebrate was hard, but controlling the urgre to run across the pitch and join the yellow and green army was even harder. Nice post, susie b!

i was on holiday in the caribean when i heard about hucks signing permanently. we left just after it was announed that us and west brom had bids accepted for him so i had to check the internet every day when i was there. its was great looking on the bbc min by min report on the ipswich game and saw two goals by mckenzie. i then thought it was ok if we didn''t sign hucks coz had got a new goalscorer. and then we heard the deal was cancelled, which was very disappointing. but then after looking how we got on against forest i saw ''huckerby signs for norwich''. it was a great feeling. we won all 3 games when we were away (ipswich, derby, forest) which made the holiday extra special.

For the loanees I was at work but was walking to the ground when 5 live mentioned he could be signing - I floated to the ground and sheer anticipation. Stood outside waiting for the barclay lower gates to open, lifted my daughter up to peer through the windows for her to see the traditional photo opportunity of pen to paper being signed. Superb day

Not sure what she was more excited by tho - seing Hux signing or peering through the window next to the canary fairy who was also getting a foot up to see the same thing!

James - any chance you can go back to the carribean until we get promotion?!

OTBC

When Crouchy was announced I think I was at work on the internet. Then that night I was watching Sky Sports news and just caught what I thought said ''Huckerby'' and ''Norwich'' going across the bottom of the screen. With baitied anticipation I had to wait ages until the text came up again, then, when it was confirmed, I ran screaming through the house. My girlfriend enquired what the matter was. "HUCKERBY''S SIGNED ON LOAN!" She wasn''t impressed.

As for when he signed permanently, I travelled up to Sheffield to spend Christmas with my girlfriend''s family. On Christmas Eve, I had read on the BBC website that he definitely wasn''t signing, and then on the way up I read it in the paper, and he was saying something like "I suppose they didn''t really want me". After a somewhat muted Christmas day, mulling over who we could get as a replacement, I negotiated an agreement which meant that I had permission from the future mother-in-law to go to my girlfriend''s uncle''s to watch the Forest match. Before I left I checked on teletext for the teams, and low and behold the headline "Huckerby signs for Norwich" appeared. Like A1, I didn''t really believe this news in the format of 80s writing on the TV. Then, with a mixture of expectancy and disbelief, I stumbled to my girlfriend''s uncle''s house, to see as soon as I got there, Delia parading Huckerby to the Carrow Road crowd. I performed a similar manouver as mentioned above, to which I got some strange looks from the gilrfriend''s family. One commented "The game hasn''t even started yet!". And then to go on to beat Forest... Merry Christmas!

I was buying CD''s in Virgin before the Forest game when my girlfriend phoned me & said the magical words every Norwich fan wanted to hear "Huckerby has signed permantly"! I didnt know quite what to do.. I screamed & almost od''d on exitement! But it wasn''t until I got to riverside that it really sank in, everyone was singing his name....... FANTASTIC!

I was on holiday in Orlando for the play off semis, absolutely gutted as when we booked it didn''t look like we stood a chance of making it ! I watched the second leg in "The Rovers Return", 5 people in the whole place ( Me, my Wife, my Dad, my Brother in law and the barmaid ). It was on some rubbish American cable channel, with American commentary just like they have on Soccer AM. I was actually told on Christmas eve Hucks had signed, by a friend who will have to remain anonymous for his sake ! I was drinking down at Riverside when I got the call, but wasn''t sure whether to believe it or not, thankfully it turned out to be true. Nonetheless I had a pint to celebrate.

Susie, although I know precisely what I was doing when Hucks signed, I could''nt possible tell you and the delicate poster''s on here, sorry. Suffice to say I shan''t forget it in a hurry!

Allow me to say it for him...Wizard and the missus were having egg and chips at the little cafe around the corner which, after all, is quite exciting for Lowestoft.

Wizard, it does appear that a lot of the posts on the board are going in out of sequence. I don''t want you to become overly anxious about how I know WHAT you are doing BEFORE you do it.

I was sitting reading the threads on this site on Boxing Day morning when I got a text from a friend who was involved with a junior canary game down at Carrow Road that morning.It said '' please stay calm but your hero is outside the box office giving an interview to Anglia TV,he has signed for us! I burst into tears and then spent the next hour texting and ringing all my friends and posting on here of course to tell you lot.

I''m sure you won''t forget Wiz! Maybe somethings are best left unsaid ;-)

As for me when the loan deals happened, I was at home. I remember reading about Crouch and getting very excited. Then I went on the official city site and there was a story about a 2nd Premiership player being announced at a press conference later that day. They had a blacked out photo of him, obviously to not reveal his identity. I can honestly remember sitting there thinking "Christ, that spikey hair outline doesn''t half look like Darren Huckerby". I then proceeded to trawl the internet for photos of him. I also trawled the Man City message boards for rumours. I eventually found out from the beloved Pink''Un site that my prediction was correct and proceeded to dance round the house in a fit of joy!

Bloody hell YC are you physic or maybe even a wizard of the left hand?, I''ve always had my suspisions about you, now I know, you are gifted, what with I don''t know, but you are gifted!.

Egg & Chips huh - Wiz don''t tell me you were dipping your soldier in the yolk ;-)

As for me - Over the period of Crouch / Harper / Hucks loan signings I just spent the time looking at the Pinkun site thinking in a strange way of what the hells going on - it was just so out of character for Norwich to do something like this I spent a week or two in a state of bemusement.

When Hucks signed I didn''t find out until the middle of the afternoon on Radio 5 Live when I was travelling up for the Forest match. I feel a little bit left out now I''ve heard that you lot found out earlier in the day!