Sign in to follow this  
FatboySlimfast

Has anyone ever.........

.........invaded the pitch?

Following a discussion with my mate we realised that if results go our way over easter, then it is quite possible that victory over walsall next saturday could gurantee our return to the promised land. If this happens would there be a pitch invasion after the final whistle? Being in the upper barclay theres not much chance of me getting on, but if i was in the lower i think i would be up for it. The club would have to adopt a relaxed attitude if there was an invasion, they couldn''t really give out life bans to 5000 fans!!

Has anyone on here been able to get on the pitch? I once got on after the last game of the season about 15 years ago, when people used to steam on and try to get the shirts off the players. I was after Ian crook but arrived about 10 seconds after everyone else so was unsucsessful! What about the bloke who went on at cardiff to console the players after the penalty shoot out. I bet he will still be telling that story in about 50 years time!!

I will be invading the pitch, home or away when we go up (Watford - you''ll see). Am next to the aisle in the Lower Barclay so access is easy for me. However, if it means points deducted for the club I''ll stay firmly in my seat!

I''d love to invade the pitch after the Preston game. I''d take a piece of grass as a memento of the fabulous 03/04 season when we clinched promotion to the glory land. However, it''s a bit tricky to do from the Upper Barclay!

Now there''s a money-making idea... Seeing as the pitch is being ripped up anyway in the summer, the club can sell a yard of "Promotion pitch" to City fans...

There''s another money making idea for the club - sell off squares of turf from the old pitch - I''m sure they would sell quite a few if we make it.

As for getting on the pitch - only time I can remember doing this is back in the 80''s where we were promoted after a home game with Stoke - we all congregated in the corner of River End / Main Stand and Ken Brown came out to celebrate with us.

Now - I think its actually been made an offence - so go carefully - like Peter says if it risks the club getting into trouble then we need to stay put. A shame that things change but we may have to content ourselves with going barry beserk in the stands.

If Oxford United can manage to sell plots of their old pitch I''m sure we''d not have any problems!

Also could someone fill me in about this guy consoling the players after the penalty shoot out. Despite being there I must have missed this rather interesting story...

He came onto the pitch from behind the goal and made a dash for it. Most people presumed he was heading for the Brum end to take on the morons who had invaded the pitch, but he just went straight to the Norwich players and started hugging them and congratulating them. Not entirely sure but if my memory serves me correctly he gave his flag or scarf or something to one of the players.

Ive got the penalty spot from Orient away in 1972 when we clinched promotion (One of our goals was a penalty in case you''re all too young to remember). It was normal to invade the pitch in those days if your team did something special.

Yes - out of the Barclay at the last home game of the last Div 1 promotion campaign - I even managed to rip a perfectly decent pair of jeans (and gash my thigh) in the process, but the pain didn''t matter...Bloody sharp spikes though on the fences!