Sign in to follow this  
FU MAN SHOE

Match Stats in The League Paper

Its my fault for reading the papers rather than trust my own judgement, paticularly as I was there and watched the whole game but according to the stats in The League Paper, Norwich had just 24% of the possession during yesterday''s game with Sunderland.

I''ve always wondered where they pick this info up from. Are there official sources? Does anyone know any of the poor souls who have to collate all the tedious minutae of each game, shots on and off target, offsides, tackles, red and yellow cards etc?

As for yesterday, I think that we had at least 32.64% of the possession.Geeked [8-|]

According to BBC Sport website we had 29% which I thought was about right. Don''t know where they get the info from though.

not forgetting our two shots on goal;one off, and one on target.Extremely lucky to win the game is an understatement!

As far as stats go and, picking up on what Angel referred to ( BBC website ), of the 21 other matches this weekend in the Premiership and Championship, the home teams averaged 53% of possession. In most cases if one were to predict the amount of possession for each match there were few surprises. The two that were involved West Ham having more possession than Arsenal but, more importantly to us, the horrible 29% of possession Norwich experienced against Sunderland. Yes, we won the game and possession time does not always tell the story, but to have barely more than half the possession time normally enjoyed by the home team against a team that is itelf struggling, well....that is not a statistic without meaning.  

By a strange co-incidence, in the same paper, Burnley only had 24% possession whilst beating the Binmen on Saturday.  But lets be fair to Peter G.  It''s not yet his team but at least we are winning games now

[quote user="10Bryceland"]By a strange co-incidence, in the same paper, Burnley only had 24% possession whilst beating the Binmen on Saturday.[/quote]Strange. They had 52% according to BBC.I would love to know exactly how they measure this - the stats are always different wherever you look.