Sign in to follow this  
Cluck

Come Delia.......Let's be 'avin ya........

[quote user="mystic megson"]

So the restaurant actually makes money for the club, does it whoareyou?

Are you referring to Delia''s recent statement that annual turnover has reached nearly £4m?  Turnover is irrelevant if it''s not making a profit.

As a shareholder I''ve been trying since 15th September to get the board to disclose (via the Annual Report) how much the restaurant actually did make for the club last year.  They wrote back informing me that they have "no plans" to do so.  I repeated my request, but have had no further response of any kind as yet.

So whoareyou? you must have inside knowledge if you know that the restaurant is making money for the club.  Please do share it and save me buying any more stamps . . .

[/quote] If the restaurant is making so much money for the club... where is the money? We have made a huge profit on our transfer dealings this season, its not unreasonable to expect that this wonderful restaurant might allow us to spend some money. Good job we aren''t all so gullible as to suck all this garbage in. some seruious questions are now being asked as to why a club with the second biggest gate in the league, a transfer surplus and a restaurant supposedly pumping money into club coffers cant compete with dross like stoke and plymouth. Anyway, Geoffrey Watling saved the club

I understand where you are coming from ''whoareyou''.......but there would be various takers for this club if Delia let it be known that she wasn''t up to the task. We are a club with true potential and  I am certain we would attract various investors looking to take Norwich City up to the money spinning Premiership. What happened at Hearts is no reason for not being ambitious.

As for patience......having followed this club since the 1960s......I  am now all out of patience. We have our highs and lows and thats what makes supporting a club like ours interesting.......but this is a very serious situation. If we get dragged down clinging onto Delia''s knicker elastic.....it would be a very long road indeed before we could even re-attain Championship security. We have a job as it is to bring players to Norfolk.....let alone in League 2/ Division 3.

Peter Grant sadly is not the man this club needs....and as for trusting the Board and ''their man''.....Have we forgotten Walker''s second coming?....Rioch, Hamilton and Worthington?.....not to mention the awful coaching staff they have employed.......This really isn''t a time for complacency........it''s time to ask serious questions before it''s too late.

I have sympathy for Grant and wish him well.....but don''t let him practice his skills (?) on our club a la Carlton Palmer.

As an aside, I today received a "personal invitation from Delia" to the launch of a new Carrow Road business - a Design & Marketing Services business called "Yellow&Green"

They will be offering:

ART DIRECTION

PACKAGING

EXHIBITIONS

PUBLISHING

CORPORATE

TELEMARKETING

WEBSITES

I''m not quite sure what to make of this - either it''s another great money-making idea designed (ho, ho) to keep the Club afloat, reinvesting money in the team....or it''s going to seriously impinge on some my business clients who already run similar businesses in the city/county working for top-class national clients (none of whom are planning on launching a Championship football club last time I looked). It''s a compeititve market, and is no doubt COSTING money in the fiorst instamnce to set it up (with a view to a profit in the long-term)

OK, my business might get a slice of the Delia pie too but I''m a bit suspicious of this Tesco-fication of things at the Club.

What about getting back to the core product of producing decent football on the pitch by buying better quality players? What about seeking out wealthy local investors who might offer £1m plus for a seat on the Board instead of potentially treading on the toes of other local businesses for the sake of making c.£100,000 profit pa if it all goes well?

Hang on just a minute you rabble. This is another classic example of "be careful what you wish for, lest your wish be granted". The rabble was howling for NW to be sacked, with moronic statements such as "my cat could do a better job", and "Keegan''s the man". The risks of changing managers were pointed out to you. The truth that the problems weren''t all Worthy''s fault was pointed out to you. But no, the howling mob was intent on its witch hunt, and you got your wish. Now, after just a couple of set-backs with a squad he had no involvement in building (and with key injuries), Grant looks likely to get the same treatment from you. Is there anyone sensible left out there? Hello.... HELLOOOooo...

Actually Old Boy. I think 99% of people are saying

a) it''s not PG''s fault, and

b) we have to give him time

c) he''s inherited a wafer-thin squad with 3 or 4 class players and a lot of make-weights

Cluck was makin a wider point about the manager the Board chose to replace NW (something we as fans had no sway over). That doesn''t mean we shouldn''t have clamoured for NW''s head. He had 6 years to turn it round, buy the players he wanted, wheel and deal, and we ended up right back where he took over. He had run out of steam, let''s not rake over the coals again. Sure, the Board are the same now as two weeks ago and they are not blameless for the mess.

Mr Grant has had two weeks so far so, of course, he deserves time. The wider point is whether the Board/Club will give him money to strengthen/improve and if not, why not? Part of this discussion is asking where all the money is going (compared to other Championship clubs) and are these wider business activities benefiting the Club on the field as well as off it?

Interesting question:

Is Delia better off now than she would have been if she hadn''t become involved in my club? She has received a massive amount of (mostly) good publicity by being "celebrity chef & fan" every time the club is mentioned and NCFC have no doubt raised her profile hugely and this must have been reflected in book sales, TV appearance money etc. Millions of football fans now know about her who would otherwise not give a toss - this must reflect positively on her income? Not to mention all of the "meet delia" and celebrity chef cook ins she hosts in the resteraunts paid for with my money - they may or may not make a profit but you can guarantee they are not paying back the millions invested in the resteraunts yet which is part of the reason there''s no cash left.

I don''t profess to know the answer but my guess is that the answer is yes based on The Times rich list that comes out each year. If this is the case, she''s taking us for fools......

[quote user="Old Boy"]

Hang on just a minute you rabble. This is another classic example of "be careful what you wish for, lest your wish be granted". The rabble was howling for NW to be sacked, with moronic statements such as "my cat could do a better job", and "Keegan''s the man". The risks of changing managers were pointed out to you. The truth that the problems weren''t all Worthy''s fault was pointed out to you. But no, the howling mob was intent on its witch hunt, and you got your wish. Now, after just a couple of set-backs with a squad he had no involvement in building (and with key injuries), Grant looks likely to get the same treatment from you. Is there anyone sensible left out there? Hello.... HELLOOOooo...

[/quote]If you''re a definition of sensible, God help us all.

[quote user="charlies dad"][quote user="Old Boy"]

[/quote]I dont necessarily agree with all of that but he has a point, the statements that people are making so early on are ludicirous... the fact that we are even having to have a conversation about the manager''s job after 3 games is ASTONISHING, no one has any patience any more!  (though i feel this is more a sign of society than specifically Norwich City supporters!)

[quote user="KidCanary"][quote user="charlies dad"][quote user="Old Boy"]

[/quote]

I dont necessarily agree with all of that but he has a point, the statements that people are making so early on are ludicirous... the fact that we are even having to have a conversation about the manager''s job after 3 games is ASTONISHING, no one has any patience any more!  (though i feel this is more a sign of society than specifically Norwich City supporters!)
[/quote]

It isn''t about the managers job .........he is here on a long contract now and we should all have hope that he can do a job for us.

The issue is........Delia and Co were hiding behind Worthington at every turn.  He wasn''t up to the job and the Board hung him out to dry so that we would naturally blame him for the situation. Yes he was responsible in many ways....but Delia and Co apparently run this club and must therefore be brought to task. They hold the purse strings and the team they have given us is nothing short of scandalous.

There are some great points made above....in particular, where has all of our money gone?  If Delia''s empire building is now going into yet another ''spin-off''......don''t you wonder what is going on?.  Norwich City has been a fantastic tool for Delia Smith to stay in the headlines.....thus as a business move it has paid huge dividends........mention Norwich anywhere in the land now and Delia Smith comes up with a wry smile.

I don''t know about you, but I want Norwich City to be about rather more than a ''tv cook''.......but as long as she is in control I cannot see that happening.

[quote user="charlies dad"][quote user="Old Boy"]

[/quote]

God help Charlie

A big proportion of all the club''s income goes on player transfers, players wages and agents fees.

50% of all it''s income approx. in fact goes on wages alone.

[quote user="mystic megson"][quote user="GazzaTCC"]

Cluck, did I say Worthy had a free hand when buying players? No, I didn''t.

Yes, the Board do set the budget, and I, for one, don''t know what it is, although we have been told that it''s bigger now than when we got promoted to the Premiership.

But the crucial point here is, the manager, not the Board, chooses which players he wants and targets to buy. So to suggest that Delia does this, rather than the manager, is complete nonsense.

[/quote]

As I recall, during his time here the previous manager targeted quite a number of players who never made it through the CR negotiating process.  According to ND (he was explaining why we did not need to worry about bungs) the manager was not involved in that process in any way.

[/quote]

Mystic Megson - I think you misunderstood my point. The manager selects the players he wants to bring to the club, ND negotiates with the respective club and agents. He has nothing to do with selecting the transfer targets, that''s the manager.

[quote user="Old Boy"][quote user="charlies dad"][quote user="Old Boy"]

[/quote]

God help Charlie

[/quote] Another keyboard warrior. How sad.

[quote user="GazzaTCC"][quote user="mystic megson"][quote user="GazzaTCC"]

Yes, the Board do set the budget, and I, for one, don''t know what it is, although we have been told that it''s bigger now than when we got promoted to the Premiership.

But the crucial point here is, the manager, not the Board, chooses which players he wants and targets to buy. So to suggest that Delia does this, rather than the manager, is complete nonsense.

[/quote]

As I recall, during his time here the previous manager targeted quite a number of players who never made it through the CR negotiating process.  According to ND (he was explaining why we did not need to worry about bungs) the manager was not involved in that process in any way.

[/quote]

Mystic Megson - I think you misunderstood my point. The manager selects the players he wants to bring to the club, ND negotiates with the respective club and agents. He has nothing to do with selecting the transfer targets, that''s the manager.

[/quote]

Gazza, I think you misunderstand too.  Why did those players fail to get through the process?  In most cases, because we were not prepared to pay the asking price (and the club has said as much on more than one occasion).  Cheaper players, that we were willing to shell out for, tend to be of lesser quality, no?  Therefore it''s possible that our squad is not good enough because the club couldn''t or wouldn''t pay the asking price, not because the manager did not identify the right players.   

I also have a feeling, which I can''t prove, that whilst the club is proud of the "prudent" way it does business, the fact that we hold out for top dollar when we sell a player but aren''t prepared to reciprocate, has not made us at all popular in the world of football, and may well put us as a disadvantage when there is competition for signatures.  

Worthy had two choices, sign players that were not as good as he would have liked, or sign nobody.  Rock, hard place.  He wasn''t perfect by any means, but he wasn''t to blame for everything.  The underlying problems still exist and are getting a lot worse very quickly imo.

[quote user="mystic megson"][quote user="GazzaTCC"][quote user="mystic megson"][quote user="GazzaTCC"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Gazza, I think you misunderstand too.  Why did those players fail to get through the process?  In most cases, because we were not prepared to pay the asking price (and the club has said as much on more than one occasion).  Cheaper players, that we were willing to shell out for, tend to be of lesser quality, no?  Therefore it''s possible that our squad is not good enough because the club couldn''t or wouldn''t pay the asking price, not because the manager did not identify the right players.   

I also have a feeling, which I can''t prove, that whilst the club is proud of the "prudent" way it does business, the fact that we hold out for top dollar when we sell a player but aren''t prepared to reciprocate, has not made us at all popular in the world of football, and may well put us as a disadvantage when there is competition for signatures.  

Worthy had two choices, sign players that were not as good as he would have liked, or sign nobody.  Rock, hard place.  He wasn''t perfect by any means, but he wasn''t to blame for everything.  The underlying problems still exist and are getting a lot worse very quickly imo.

[/quote]

I am no fan of Nigel Worthington, but to throw everything at him regarding this current squad is pure fantasy.

He had a poor eye for talent but an even poorer purse with which to buy them. Delia and Co were looking over his shoulder at every turn and the financial constraints put on him meant little of quality was ever going to come our way. Apart from Dean Ashton (which Delia very swiftly turned into cash)....who have we signed of any substance in recent years?......even in our Premiership campaign the signings were dire. The half reasonable players (Green for example) we had were cashed in when profit was smelt....and but for the ''Diss'' businessman paying towards Huckerby keep.......he may well have gone too.

Please stop sheltering this Board and in particular Delia Smith from criticism. They control this club.......and it is them who will take us down if we are not very careful. We''ve all been manipulated in to believing one thing......when infact they''ve been doing the exact opposite.....''that'' being providing little more than a publicity machine for Delia Smith......

She''s baked a very pretty cake for herself........but now we can taste what lies beneath the icing............

[quote user="cluckadoodledoo"]

Sorry guys.......but all I can read on here is Peter Grant getting slagged off. He came here totally inexperienced and as an unknown quantity....then given a massive pile of crap to play with. I don''t rate him and never did, but why shoot the messenger?  All of this should not be laid solely at his door.

This whole shambles lies firmly in the lap of Delia Smith and her cronies who have finally brought this club down to it''s knees. There were calls for optimism and demands for more ambition  from some posters........but this is the reality of Norwich City 2006. We are a mess. You (we) all deserve better.

Any defence for Delia is now past. PG has been dumped on.... No doubt he was made to retain the inept backroom staff he inherited..........and so are we going to get yet another year of spin and tripe....transfer window or no.

Having said all that......what can we plebs do about it?.......Are we game for yet another miserable period of protesting......or do we go down on the ''Good Ship Delia'' shaking our heads?

[/quote]Why are we currently in a shambles, won 2 lost 1 last time i checked, Grant needs to time to sort his squad and get the team playing how he sees fit, dont really see what else can be done at the moment, maybe you would care to elaborate?

Breathe everyone... Stoke was as much a disaster and the 2 games before were triumphant.

But it''s not Christmas yet... and the season can still go inumerable ways. Interesting opinions, but lets not be too melodramatic. Unless you like that kind of thing of course. each to their own - just my 2 cents...

(partly because I don''t know if we''re going to turn out to be really rubbish, or quite good by the end of the season...)

[quote user="cluckaduck"][quote user="mystic megson"][quote user="GazzaTCC"][quote user="mystic megson"][quote user="GazzaTCC"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I am no fan of Nigel Worthington, but to throw everything at him regarding this current squad is pure fantasy.

He had a poor eye for talent but an even poorer purse with which to buy them. Delia and Co were looking over his shoulder at every turn and the financial constraints put on him meant little of quality was ever going to come our way. Apart from Dean Ashton (which Delia very swiftly turned into cash)....who have we signed of any substance in recent years?......even in our Premiership campaign the signings were dire. The half reasonable players (Green for example) we had were cashed in when profit was smelt....and but for the ''Diss'' businessman paying towards Huckerby keep.......he may well have gone too.

Please stop sheltering this Board and in particular Delia Smith from criticism. They control this club.......and it is them who will take us down if we are not very careful. We''ve all been manipulated in to believing one thing......when infact they''ve been doing the exact opposite.....''that'' being providing little more than a publicity machine for Delia Smith......

She''s baked a very pretty cake for herself........but now we can taste what lies beneath the icing............

[/quote]

Mystic Megson - the club only talks to players (unless they are a free agent) after terms have been agreed with their existing club, then it''s down to the player passing a medical and agreeing personal terms, so I''m afraid I don''t follow your point.

Any club, as any business, has to set a budget and, as has been said many times, it''s up to the manager how he spends it.

If you want to have a debate as to whether the playing budget is big enough, that''s a different topic altogether. For what it''s worth, I think Nigel wasn''t given a big enough budget when we were in the Premiership but he still managed to sign ten players, so I still think he''s open to critisum for the way he spent the money he did have available.

Another fact often ignored by the "splash the cash" brigade is that we now spending more on wages (despite having a smaller squad) than when we got promoted to the Premiership, which just goes to prove that it''s not about how much money is available, but how you spend it.

I''m afraid that some of the comments being fired in the direction of the Board seem to totally ignore the financial climate in which we have to operate. They''re not perfect by any means.

Gazza, there''s another stage at the beginning of the whole process.  BEFORE the club approaches the club and/or agent and goes through the negotiating process you describe, the manager identifies the player as a potential target.  This will probably involve asking his club''s permission, speaking to him and his agent and ascertaining whether he would like to come if the terms are right. Once he has done that, it''s out of his hands. 

The manager does NOT agree the fee. When the club says he "has" a budget, it does not mean that they hand it over to him.  It just means he knows how much there is.

You don''t need to defend the board on this point. They have said themselves on more than one occasion that a transfer has broken down at the negotiating stage.  No doubt it happens at most clubs from time to time and is not necessarily a failure on the part of the board.  All I''m trying to say is that if transfer negotiations do break down, it''s the board''s responsibility and not the manager''s.

I agree that the budget issue warrants a separate thread.  My concerns are not so much about the Prem season as the season after.  Why were we a selling club last summer despite making over £7m net profit from the Prem season, why didn''t we use the parachute money to strengthen the team, and why did we end up with the joint smallest squad in the Championship?*  Why, in short, did we not budget for a realistic promotion challenge? 

* Jointly with Leeds as it happens, who appear to have the same disease as we do - a couple of quality players disguising the fact that the squad is wafer-thin.

A common problem with football fans is ''Short memory syndrome'' basically some football fans are unable to remember any further back than the last season. The consequence of this is that they attack the board for the teams short term failings unable to see the bigger picture i.e past/future sucess and the general stability of our club.

Why were we a selling club last summer despite making over £7m net profit  .     Mystic Megson

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Seems to me  that it was Hobsons choice !    we sold  Francis  because   he made it very clear  he wanted out.  [ and he was a pain  in the arse anyway ! ]

We sold Ashton  because he wanted out ......

We sold Green because he wanted out   ....

We sold  McKenzie  because he wanted out .........

We should sell  WLY   because  he really isn`t here ! 

Others were sold because they just weren`t up to scratch ,  or their contracts  were up , and they wanted to move   ..... 

There`s just no point in keeping players  if they want out !    this is an area  were Grant  has  find out  what players  have a chip on their shoulder  , why , and do something about it  , I think we had  / have  a psychiatrist  that should have  done this ,  but he was/is as useful as a burning coffin at a wedding !   in fact I`m sure things got worse  after he`d been at it for a while ....

[quote user="charlies dad"]

Another keyboard warrior. How sad.

[/quote]

What - you thought you were unique?

[quote user="sheded"]

Why were we a selling club last summer despite making over £7m net profit  .     Mystic Megson

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Seems to me  that it was Hobsons choice !    we sold  Francis  because   he made it very clear  he wanted out.  [ and he was a pain  in the arse anyway ! ]

We sold Ashton  because he wanted out ......

We sold Green because he wanted out   ....

We sold  McKenzie  because he wanted out .........

We should sell  WLY   because  he really isn`t here ! 

Others were sold because they just weren`t up to scratch ,  or their contracts  were up , and they wanted to move   ..... 

There`s just no point in keeping players  if they want out !    this is an area  were Grant  has  find out  what players  have a chip on their shoulder  , why , and do something about it  , I think we had  / have  a psychiatrist  that should have  done this ,  but he was/is as useful as a burning coffin at a wedding !   in fact I`m sure things got worse  after he`d been at it for a while ....

[/quote]

Just a point of clarification sheded.  What I mean by "selling club" is that we spent less on new players than we got from selling.  In the summer transfer period 2005 we received about £2.3 million from selling players but spent only £788,000 (figures from the Annual Report).  We didn''t even touch the transfer budget, or the parachute money.

I have no problem with letting players go for all the reasons you give.  I do have a problem with not spending the money on replacing them. 

Looking back to my first ever post on this board in October last year, it was about the smallness of both our squad and our chance of bouncing back to the Premiership.  ("In a nutshell, we''re stuffed" quote unquote).  How depressing that I''m still banging on about the same subject.  Nothing has happened in the meantime to change my mind, in fact just the opposite sadly.  It will take more than a new manager to turn it round. 

[quote user="Say Hello To The Angels"]

A common problem with football fans is ''Short memory syndrome'' basically some football fans are unable to remember any further back than the last season. The consequence of this is that they attack the board for the teams short term failings unable to see the bigger picture i.e past/future sucess and the general stability of our club.

[/quote]

As a matter of fact, most of them attacked the manager not the board . . .

[quote user="Say Hello To The Angels"]my post was a response to the critisim of the board on here, worthington has gone it was meant in the present tense.
[/quote]

Can someone please explain why the board need to be protected from criticism? Why?  This almost religious devotion is deeply unhealthy folks. 

I am happy to debate with anyone who produces a reasoned argument, but vague platitudes about "the bigger picture" simply won''t do.

[quote user="mystic megson"]

[quote user="Say Hello To The Angels"]my post was a response to the critisim of the board on here, worthington has gone it was meant in the present tense.
[/quote]

Can someone please explain why the board need to be protected from criticism? Why?  This almost religious devotion is deeply unhealthy folks. 

I am happy to debate with anyone who produces a reasoned argument, but vague platitudes about "the bigger picture" simply won''t do.

[/quote]

Mystic........I wholeheartedly agree with you. ''The bigger picture'' is the Board''s appalling performance.......Grant and the players are merely a symptom of their manipulation.

[quote]Can someone please explain why the board need to be protected from criticism?[/quote]

I''d put it down to

• gratitude to the board for keeping the club going.
  • the (in my opinion realistic) understanding that we''re not guaranteed success, although the club are attempting to acheive it.
  • lack of a viable alternative to the current board.  Why rock the boat when there''s only one boat that makes the crossing ?

Generally people want to believe that the club are trying their hardest.

[quote user="blahblahblah"]

[quote]Can someone please explain why the board need to be protected from criticism?[/quote]

I''d put it down to

• gratitude to the board for keeping the club going.

• the (in my opinion realistic) understanding that we''re not guaranteed success, although the club are attempting to acheive it.

• lack of a viable alternative to the current board.  Why rock the boat when there''s only one boat that makes the crossing ?

Generally people want to believe that the club are trying their hardest.

[/quote]

I''m one of a ''generally people,'' who thinks that the board and the club - aren''t trying their hardest.

I may be a muddled thinker at times.............but, I still think the board should pull their bloody pudgy fingers out! Where are we actually heading at this moment in time? Oh yes, we''re in a transitional period of building a ''masseeeve'' wall of scary ''squary'' windows between the Barclay and Jarrold - and what a magnificent aesthetic pile of ''site'' it is........What''s next eh? Maybe the, "can you possibly spare some loose change chum?" regular halftime collections for the Director''s Benevolent Biccy and Brew Refreshment Fund......Or maybe, a recycling skip for the previous home games programme.......so they can stick a latest opposition cover and team sheet on the old programme - and see if anyone notices if the content has altered in any way?.........

WE, have no leader on the pitch - and most certainly no leader on the board. Just a predictable flurry of club ''Meejah'' and Directorial input cosy soundbites when it''s "season ticket renewal time, to all the whole of the planets luvverliest bestest supportin'' fan dabby and dozy gullible geeks"......"Remember, we will bring forty new Prem standard Players in - and just get rid of a few underachievers that can''t cut it in the Chumpionship!"

When in reality........we release 5 squad members - and bring in Crofty.........followed by: "Sorry bestest an'' luvverliest fans......we''ve unfortunately had an exceptionally high gas bill to pay - as the continuous use of the cookin'' ranges in the restyrunts, really make the meter go round an'' round an'' round.......and without the restyrunts, we wouldn''t have a club I''m afraid" "Oh, and can any bestest fan lend us an industrial sized generator (hopefully free of charge) so we can power the floodlights, as the nights are really drawin'' in, and the ''lecky bill'' is as long as a toilet roll - and it takes poor old postie, 10 or so minutes to feed it through the letter box".  

"Prudence with ambition is the way! As long as it''s only the long sufferin'' fan that has to pay!"