Sign in to follow this  
Evil Monkey

Away Fans - Where Should They Sit?

Given that reports on another thread suggest that the Hotel is also bouncing the noise

from the Away fans back into the ground (as is logical), would we now

want to think about moving these fans elsewhere? Aside from the

hilarity of having them sit on plastic chairs whilst the South Stand

was being redeveloped, I always thought it strange that we then stuck

them back in the nice, cosy new stand rather than elsewhere.

Many other clubs relegate the away fans to some of the worse or uncovered parts of the ground, such as at Portsmouth or York.

I know there are Season Ticket implications here, but I''d prefer to see

them in the corner of the City Stand, in the current family bit next to

the River End, out of harm''s way.  Then again, there''d be the danger of

the away fans out-singing the current residents of both these stands, and the banter with the Barclay is always fun for them and us.

Where would you like to see them, or are they okay where they are?

I remember this coming up when they were rebuilding the South Stand. In complete agreement that the 2 rows for the away fans along the touchline when the building work was going on behind them was a stroke of genius!

I think they opted to keep the away fans in the new stand as it would be easier to move the ''barrier'' between the 2 sets of supporters, and allow the club to sell any tickets that were returned as soon as possible.

I''ve always struggled for where else they could be put. Weren''t they in the upper barclay for a short period of time, but they kept spitting and chucking coins down on the Lower B?

Personally, I like it how it is. Helps build the atmosphere...

[quote user="Evil Monkey"]

Many other clubs relegate the away fans to some of the worse or uncovered parts of the ground, such as at Portsmouth or York.

[/quote]

Its a bit cruel sending them that far away isnt it? Oh all right then.

The best place is where they are now........Moving them away from the Barclay would be the wrong thing to do. I don''t know if you can remember, but when Chase put them at the top of the Barclay that was just one of the many things he done wrong at the club...

Keep them where they are, Many grounds put them behind a goal, giving them the ability to support their keeper and abuse our keeper for a half each. If they stay secluded it is better for us and let the Barclay sing nice ditties to them for 90 mins.

I''ve seen opposition supporters in the river end in the 70''s, then in the south stand, then next to us in the Barclay divided by a horrendous fence and a stretch of no mans land (Hammers fans throwing tomatoes with razor blades inside was no fun). Conclusion...it doesn''t make a difference, the banter is still there. What we should be is grateful its safe, battles in the Barclay are thankfully a thing of the past. However, wherever they sit they have the advantage of all singing together and generally making more noise. In the extreme I saw five Sevilla fans outsing MU supporters at the Old Trafford cathedral recently, it was pitiful, admittedly it was a friendly...but the Barclay needs to try and raise the level.

I think you''d lose some of the fun and atmosphere if you moved them away from the Barclay.

Thought the family section was in the Jarrold Stand Monkey, river end.

Although I agree that it is naff that away fans get the best stand; there are implications of moving them; ie, there must be I think about at least 6 seats between home and away fans (as there is currently in the south stand), moving them to anywhere else in the ground would mean that either side of them must be x amount of spare seats; less home fans- less noise- less money; unless of course we stick them in the the corner of the upper river, but then you risk fans throwing objects into the family area.

I dont really mind it how it is but if anything HAD to change i would move them (away fans) in to the A and B of the barclay. This means that they would be surrounded by the snake pit, and the C/D/E blocks and the upper tier of the barclay. If A and B dont create enough seats then they could possibly be given upper A and B. 

I remember the away fans being in the upper Barclay. Spurs and Coventry spring to mind, all matter of objects were getting thrown down to the lower barclay including seats.  I think they are fine where they are, plus they have a quicker route to the train station as well

[quote user="kneeelo 74"]

I remember the away fans being in the upper Barclay. Spurs and Coventry spring to mind, all matter of objects were getting thrown down to the lower barclay including seats.  I think they are fine where they are, plus they have a quicker route to the train station as well

[/quote]

''all matter of objects were getting thrown down to the lower barclay including seats. I think they are fine where they are''

The seats or the supporters?

Given that not many of us have a great amount of faith in the new hotel how about getting them room 6 on the 4th floor? 

Otherwise they need to be in directing firing line of the Barclay so I think we ought to keep them where they are currently, anywhere else and they will be out of range

[quote user="mbncfc"]

I remember this coming up when they were rebuilding the South Stand. In complete agreement that the 2 rows for the away fans along the touchline when the building work was going on behind them was a stroke of genius!

I think they opted to keep the away fans in the new stand as it would be easier to move the ''barrier'' between the 2 sets of supporters, and allow the club to sell any tickets that were returned as soon as possible.

I''ve always struggled for where else they could be put. Weren''t they in the upper barclay for a short period of time, but they kept spitting and chucking coins down on the Lower B?

[/quote]

Yes, putting them in the upper Barclay wasn’t the most intelligent of moves. I remember Spurs fans spitting over the edge for 90 minutes… Such nice people!

[quote user="Bruce''s Header"][quote user="mbncfc"]

Yes, putting them in the upper Barclay wasn’t the most intelligent of moves. I remember Spurs fans spitting over the edge for 90 minutes… Such nice people!

[/quote]

agreed. i hate spurs. one random drunk spurs fans started kicking at me in Liverpool St station once simply for the fact i was a norwich fan. or maybe because he was a drunk/loser/spurs fan... summat or other...

[quote user="Kathy"]

[quote user="Evil Monkey"]

[/quote]

Its a bit cruel sending them that far away isnt it? Oh all right then.

Good one Kathy [:D]

Seriously though, I like them to be right where they are now when we win, but when we lose Portsmouth and York would be fine by me!

[/quote]

How about building a small shed-like construction in front of the new hotel for them, thus freeing up an extra couple of thousand seats for City fans in the Jarrold Stand. The sheds walls could be padded with special sound-deadening material in order to quell the noise from the away rabble. Sorted!