Sign in to follow this  
Rustyboy

Is PG talking a bit too much?

Over the past few days Peter has been talking a fair bit, something we have not been use to from our previous manager. Do you think he is right making the comments or have the media been printing everything he says just for a story?

I think it is refreshing that he is talking as much as he is. For me, it gives some good insight as to how his mind works and how he wants to do things. I like it alot.

I do however think that this could be short lived. I can''t help thinking that this is the case because it is recognised that Worthy was so far the opposite.

Almost an intentional point on the part of the club to say ''look we have changed things dramatically''

I could be totally wrong but it does niggle in the back of my mind.

[quote user="Yellow Rages"]

I think it is refreshing that he is talking as much as he is. For me, it gives some good insight as to how his mind works and how he wants to do things. I like it alot.

I do however think that this could be short lived. I can''t help thinking that this is the case because it is recognised that Worthy was so far the opposite.

Almost an intentional point on the part of the club to say ''look we have changed things dramatically''

I could be totally wrong but it does niggle in the back of my mind.

[/quote]

100pc agree. Change things because they need to be changed, not because you''re trying to be different. I''m looking at you, Steve McClaren.

I don''t think he''s talking too much

I just think he''s talking too fast.

I''m only understanding about one word in three. I''d hate to hear him during a half-time hairdryer talk!

To echo other comments in this post. I would say it is refreshing to have a manager that is a bit more vocal and bit more honest. No more tired clichés about "the lads giving 110%" after a 4 nil drubbing. If it''s a poor performance PG will say so. The only thing that worries me about PG''s management style is the public criticism of players. For example, McVeigh have come in for some fairly weighty criticism in recent weeks. Arguably deserved but shouldn''t this kind of thing be done behind closed doors not in front of the press. I think it''s okay to crticise a team performance i.e. "we didn''t defend well" or "we were lacking in the final third" but to publicly express doubts about an individual player could cause resentment and ill-feeling in the long run. What do other people think, is it okay for a manger to criticise individual players in public?

I think it is Green.

I think that by doing so, he is finding out who all of the players are with good attitudes.

I would like to think that if a player is told he has performed poorly and the manager tells the press the same, that the player reacts to this and works harder to be included again. I think that shows character and that''s something Grant want''s in his side.

If Macca now sulks and dissapears into the background, it tells me his attitude isn''t right. If you look at Gallacher, he was dropped under harsher circumstances where the manager told him he had done nothing wrong but he needed to change something. Gallachers attitude was magnificent, he then went on to play very well in his next game. So Grant got two things out of Gallacher their, he got to find out about him as a person and he got a great performance. And that''s why I think it''s the right thing to do.

[quote user="Yellow Rages"]

I think it is Green.

I think that by doing so, he is finding out who all of the players are with good attitudes.

I would like to think that if a player is told he has performed poorly and the manager tells the press the same, that the player reacts to this and works harder to be included again. I think that shows character and that''s something Grant want''s in his side.

If Macca now sulks and dissapears into the background, it tells me his attitude isn''t right. If you look at Gallacher, he was dropped under harsher circumstances where the manager told him he had done nothing wrong but he needed to change something. Gallachers attitude was magnificent, he then went on to play very well in his next game. So Grant got two things out of Gallacher their, he got to find out about him as a person and he got a great performance. And that''s why I think it''s the right thing to do.

[/quote]

Perfectly put.

And I still love that avatar... [Y]

I agree entirely, YR.  I don''t think this period will last too long, but Grant is using it for the greater good in terms of finding out who his players are.  Besides, there''s not really been too much of it.  Macca was rightly criticised for getting himself sent off and giving away a free kick in a dangerous position with a few minutes to go and whilst only 1 up - considering our recent record of conceding equalisers in the last minute, it was a stupid thing to do.  Hucks was criticised for having a bad second half against Cardiff, and explained that whilst he was subbed due to injury, it would have happened anyway as he wasn''t playing well.  Both pretty fair, I think.Gallacher, on the other hand, wasn''t criticised at all, despite being dropped, as there was little to criticise.  He was then heaped with praise for his reaction to this, and again rightly so.As long as he keeps talking sense, he can say what he likes!

I think the point is, you can''t do it every game. You can''t keep getting the best out of the players by talking to the press, that won''t last.

At the moment, the players are feeling their way into the new management, and don''t want to put a foot wrong.

If Grant continues like this, which I don''t think he will, by 2007 nobody will be listening.

I agree with this also Mook.

You are right to say that by persistantly criticising or paying homage to players, it will become diluted over time and the effect will not be as strong.

He is doing the right thing at the right time as it stands and I''m sure both he and the players will benifit.

In the longer term, he will hopefully have created a squad of players who he knows have the right attitude and eliminated those that don''t, thus making the need to be so public redundant.