Sign in to follow this  
nobbyg

The New Stand will be officially named.....

Ken Bates once said of Aston Villa that they were going to name their new stand "The Other Doug Ellis Stand".

What suggestions do we have for ours?

A sponsor? Named in honour of the fans? An old player/chairman? The South Stand again? And will it have a clock on it? I miss the clock!

But what will it be called? I''m on record as hoping for "The Sir Arthur South Stand" - it''s a pun you see, har har. But I suppose in these commercial days it''ll be The Proton Stand, or something equally soul-less and sell-out.

Second thoughts. It''s far too late now, I know, but I think the name should reflect some aspect of the structure, and Sir Arthur, bless him, had nothing to do with the new stand. What about The Delia Smith Stand, or (and I prefer this), The Maltings.
Long term, I suspect most people will just keep calling it the South Stand, just as the Barclay and River End have retained their names amongst the fans.

How about "The Fine Stand" - a Fine Stand for A Fine City (Council idiots - as long as they are nothing to do with the renaming we should be ok!)

If its Proton/Lotus/Norwich Union/etc etc and the club gets some dosh from the deal I won''t mind.

It will be corporate.

You are right about the fans calling still calling the River End it''s old name even though it has been the Norwich and Peterborough for ages. But look at all the benefit the Norwich and Peterborough Building Society have seen in the last 12 years since they became associated with the club.

I presume the new Sponsor will be hoping for the same kinds of reward - another local company supporting the club?????!!? The club would be crazy to turn the money down.

Its the same when you get tickets from the box office, you go in and say, "one ticket for the river end/south stand/snakepit please" even though the name snakepit is nothing to do with the club and a term by the fans everyone knows what it is called. Even on radio norfolk they still say ''such and such is reporting from the snakepit!

just a guess but maybe those mustard people will have something todo with it ''colmans mustard south stand'' would profer that to the ''proton stand''

The Clint Easton Stand would go down a treat along with the mark rivers disabled area. Anyone fancy a zema abbey food stand? he''ll probably be working on one next season..

How do u know its not the mustard stand nobby?
I clearly am not the real bryan gunn. I''ve got a little bit more hair! Although I did speak to him in london before the Palace game. A proud moment in my life, he spotted my norwich shirt at london bridge station and asked me what train to get for selhurst park! I never would have believed it if someone told me 10 years ago ''one day u''ll help gunny get to a game''!!!! I''m a sad man i know!

I think it should be called "The Delia Smith Stand" because if it wasn''t for her there probably wouldn''t be a Norwich City to support.

Because I work at the place that will be sponsoring the new stand and have been sworn to secrecy for a few weeks now - which is really difficult when everyone I know is a Norwich fan!!

We also saw the real Bryan Gunn at Selhurst - he was in the same row as us about 10 yards away. Just before half time he came back from the refreshments stand with a hot dog and a couple of burgers, only one of which he gave to his mate! With that little furry thing growing on his chin he looks unrecognisable from the young bloke we signed 18 years ago!!

So the odds are, Nobby, you work in Norwich. That sort of rules out Proton, doesn''t it? Maybe it''s going to be called "The other Norwich and Peterborough Stand" ?

You must work at Jarrolds then Nobby G. But to me it will always be the South Stand just like the River End will always be the River End.

Perhaps if they''d have called it the Jarrold South Stand everyone would have been satisfied to a certain extent. Just ''The Jarrold Stand'' sounds a bit bland to me, but I''m glad it''s a local company putting some money into the club. Does anyone have a clue how much, though?