Sign in to follow this  
JC

Norwich win play off final.....

Well in my world they did, and it was the one bright spot of last night.  As I listened to the real team on the radio, I was playing my first season on my newly purchased Football Manager 2007 PC game.  Scraped into the play-offs by a point after a magnificent 3-0 win over Leeds.  First leg, beat Cardiff 4-1, with Dickson belting two thirty yards screamers, then held them 0-0 on the away leg.  The final at cardiff, was against...Ipswich!  A goal from Ernie in extra time sealed a 1-0 win, and left me smiling all over just as the post-mortem was taking place on canary call.

If only reality was the same as Football Manager!  Although I now have the Premiership to look forward to with a paper thin squad and no money to spend!

My son plays the Football Manager game on his lap top........

Currently Carrow Road has a ground capacity of 176000 and he has 350 million in the bank.....plus just about every top player in his squad..........

He''s only just 18..........so what the hell are you playing at Delia?

Was doing the same thing last night! I''m in ninth at the end of October. I tried signing Chris Sutton but he opted for Derby instead and so I signed his brother from St Mirren who''s now scored 6 in 12 for me. Dickson''s great though and is my top scorer with 10 in 15 from midfield!

[quote user="cluck"]

Currently Carrow Road has a ground capacity of 176000 and he has 350 million in the bank.....plus just about every top player in his squad..........

He''s only just 18..........so what the hell are you playing at Delia?

[/quote]

Haha, I think an 176,000 seater stadium would take up the whole of Norwich, i wouldn''t mind that 350 Million. On Championship Manager (Yes I still play it) I''ve got about 50 Million and UEFA spot but the council stopped me building up Carrow Road so it''s still around 26,000 for me! Oh and we have Jenas and others

48,000 seater stadium (although I''d rather they gave me the option to move to a new ground so I can call it the Raven''s Nest...), £180m in the bank and Huckerby still playing as he approaches his 40th birthday. All terribly realistic.

[quote user="Tom NCFC"]We really have too much time on your hands!!![/quote]

Speak for yourself Sailor, I''ve been nowhere near Pete''s hands, let alone "spending time" on them.

[quote user="cluck"]

[/quote]Methinks he''s been a-hacking the database [:O]

[quote user="Herb"][quote user="cluck"]

[/quote]

Methinks he''s been a-hacking the database [:O]
[/quote]

It wouldn''t surprise me!........[:)]

wont do him much good to Play with the database when u can only set the ground capacity to a maxmimum of 150,000 isnt it?

i cant see how people want to cheat at the gam,e.. for me the fun is taking a confertence with no money, gettign loans and free transfers in, and seeing how far i can take them over the course of a few seasons.. the fun is starting at the bottom, getting wallped 9-0 in the cup and becoming legends later on!

jas :)

My first season i won the title!The only changes i made to the squad were Sutton (Free) Mackay (45k) Anthony Gardner (Spurs, 900k i think)Also had a young LB from Mancity on loan most of season but played Few gamesFirst 11                LewisColin - Gardner - Shackell - Drury               Safri         Etuhu RobinsonCroft                           Huckerby             Earnie

This is off-topic, but if you like football manager and its'' ilk, you might want to try www.sokker.org.  It''s a free-to-play, online football management game, the games are shown in a 3d format using flash.  Once players have received a bit of training, they can put together some neat moves.  It''s more simplistic than FM, each player has 8 skills, and skills have differing importance for each position on the field, (there''s a help site for newcomers - www.sokkerhelp.org.)  There''s also a tactics setter which allows you to set unique formations for each game, and to save previously used formations.  League games are played every Sunday, and Cup and friendly games on Wednesdays.  There are 8 teams in a league, which means that a season lasts about 3 months.  You can train your players to improve their value, and there''s an international transfer market of players.  1 league game per week means that it''s a slow-burning game, but one that doesn''t require a lot of commitment, and when you get used to the pace of the game, and to be honest the user-interface, and if you get involved with the community (small but helpful in England) it can be fun to dip into on a quiet afternoon at work / college.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

wont do him much good to Play with the database when u can only set the ground capacity to a maxmimum of 150,000 isnt it?

i cant see how people want to cheat at the gam,e.. for me the fun is taking a confertence with no money, gettign loans and free transfers in, and seeing how far i can take them over the course of a few seasons.. the fun is starting at the bottom, getting wallped 9-0 in the cup and becoming legends later on!

[/quote]

Not that I''m bothered.....but he too has taken it from the bottom and got to the top.....doing his buying and selling and whatever. He spends alot of time on it, knows the game and doesn''t need to cheat.

It''s a shame that a simple comment can''t be made without needle coming into it...........

In 2008 on Championship Manager, my best line up would be

P.Robinson

A.Bailey A.Gardener M.Dawson P.Tierney

A.Lennon J.Jenas L.Croft J.Gronkjaer

F.Kanoute C.Samba

Nice English backbone, Dawson, Jenas & Lennon are the best in my squad, Lennon rated as £15Million

Huckerby playing at 40???  My god! 

[quote user="Web Team - Pete"]48,000 seater stadium (although I''d rather they gave me the option to move to a new ground so I can call it the Raven''s Nest...), £180m in the bank and Huckerby still playing as he approaches his 40th birthday. All terribly realistic.[/quote]

Sounds more like he has been downloading an unofficial in-game editor more like!

[quote user="cluck"][quote user="Herb"][quote user="cluck"]

[/quote]

Methinks he''s been a-hacking the database [:O]
[/quote]

It wouldn''t surprise me!........[:)]

[/quote]

I only manageed to scrape the play off because I clocked a news item saying that Liverpool had released Robbie Fowler.  I had to release Mcveigh to get the wages together, but I signed Robbie in  December and he scored 15 goals for me.  Legend!

Anyway, nice to see so many people share my FM passion (and CM since the eraly 90''s), and that I am not the only one who plays it while listening to the real team on the radio.  Oh and nice to see that Pete from Archant plays as well!

[quote user="Daveinnorfolk"]My first season i won the title!

The only changes i made to the squad were Sutton (Free) Mackay (45k) Anthony Gardner (Spurs, 900k i think)
Also had a young LB from Mancity on loan most of season but played Few games

First 11
                Lewis
Colin - Gardner - Shackell - Drury
               Safri
        Etuhu Robinson
Croft                           Huckerby
             Earnie
[/quote]

I have only made 3 signings thus far (in November)

Bobby Hassell a Defendcer from Barnsley who has good potential,

Michael Doyle from Coventry - midfielder (got rid of Carl Robinson for £4000)

Freddy Eastwood - say no more! lol.. cost me 1.1 million.

I notice some one on here got Gardner, i tried to get him too but spurs want 2''5 million! not likely!

[quote user="JC"]

Anyway, nice to see so many people share my FM passion (and CM since the eraly 90''s), and that I am not the only one who plays it while listening to the real team on the radio.  Oh and nice to see that Pete from Archant plays as well!

[/quote]

Saturday afternoon listening to Norwich, playing as Norwich. Love it!

Bit sad i know.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

I notice some one on here got Gardner, i tried to get him too but spurs want 2''5 million! not likely!

[/quote]Spurs transfer Listed Him for some reason at 1.6, i negociated 1. 2 plus clauses  

I got sacked [:(]Now I''m managing York in League 2 with no money.Tried to sign Hucks, but even at 37 he said he "had no intention of signing for the likes of York" Git [:D]

Its not very realistic how you only start with 1.5mill to buy players with. In my first game i was one goal away from the play offs after drawing 2-2 with brimingham. I mainly relied on loans. So ive now started a second game giving norwich 3mill to spend, which i think is more realistic. Still a poor wage budget though. I bought gareth Bale from southampton, sold drury to leeds, bought Nugent and billy jones, ive only just started the season so we shall see now they perform. Im a feeder club with chelsea.

im with torquay, won league 2 with 102 points on a budget of 16k and a wage budget of £13,000 per week, new ground, 16,000

As an update.  I stayed in the Premier League, finished 12th.  And to add to the pleasure, at the same time Ipswich (who I beat in the play off final the season before) were relegated to League One, along with Sheffield United! 

[quote user="JC"]

I only manageed to scrape the play off because I clocked a news item saying that Liverpool had released Robbie Fowler.  I had to release Mcveigh to get the wages together, but I signed Robbie in  December and he scored 15 goals for me.  Legend!

[quote user="Daveinnorfolk"]My first season i won the title!

The only changes i made to the squad were Sutton (Free) Mackay (45k) Anthony Gardner (Spurs, 900k i think)
Also had a young LB from Mancity on loan most of season but played Few games

First 11
                Lewis
Colin - Gardner - Shackell - Drury
               Safri
        Etuhu Robinson
Croft                           Huckerby
             Earnie
[/quote]

[/quote]

I used the "ask key player to recommend a new signing" option.

Earnie recommended David Vaughan of Crewe, Hucks said he hadn''t a clue wo to suggest, and Safri gave me the name of a young Moroccan goalie who I signed for £300k and who''s fitted in a treat. I''m in early December in my first season now and in 6th with Dickson having already spanked in 12 goals! John Sutton''s got 6 in the last four as well!

Got to love Football Manager, if only for the vicarious thrill of pretending to be Peter Grant. I''ve yet to discover the button that says "employ security for expected imminent stalking by XXL" however.

Champ manager is saying goodbye to your degree, social life, girlfriends...! which is why i dont bring up to uni with me! If i remember correctly, i am currently england manager after taking norwich city to the champions league with....

Gallacher

Colin   -   Billy Jones (£3m rejecting offers of £18m from Chelski)  -    Shackell   -  Jelle Van Damme (£1m gone to chelsea for £12.5m)

Flamini (£5m)   Hargreaves (£15m)

Van Persie (£6m)                                                 Rooney (Promise of free harry potter books)

Eddie Johnson (£7.5m)  Ashton

OK i may have fiddled the accounts a little bit.... and got rooney in a way that wld make a tapping up affair look angelic BUT with the right formati, first season, flamini on loan, do everything you can to get billy jones, you are away... Drury has an impressive first half of the season, sell him to chelsea for about £8m and then jelle van damme what a player! off load greeno and keep gallacher in there he becomes a good goalkeeper.

and do fiddle the accounts just a little bit to get that extra boost, puts you in debt for a little bit but you get back into profit quickly and everyones happy, after it is a performance based sport...! van persie, hargreaves and do not, emphasie, NOT sell billy jones, sell him, the team falls apart...

I am an avid follower of the FM series, and not a release goes by that I dont purchase and spend many many hours mulling over getting Norwich promoted. I now play a nice 442 formation with Sutton and Earnie up front and currently in Jan 07 I am second in the league behind WBA.I have to say that this FM is the best to date.

i got halford for about 800k and paul wootn off plymouth (500k) both have been injured for up to 6 months in pre-season. LUCKY ME.
anyone know any other good buys?