Sign in to follow this  
BlyBlyBabes

Pink'un. Stop doing this!

Stop doing what?

Misquoting people. That''s what.

See today''s Pink''un story by Jonathan Redhead.

Lee Croft did not say with reference to the Carling Cup that "We can go all the way".

He said "......there''s no reason we can''t go a long way in the competition, but............".

Do better. It''s not the first time.

OTBC

I agree BlyBly, there''s been far too much of it lately.  I recommend the Press Complaints Commission website, where you will find their Code of Conduct.  It includes the following:

1.  Accuracy

i)  The Press must take care not to publish inaccurate, misleading or distorted information, including pictures.

I used this quite successfully in August over a headline stating "Fans turned on me says Leon" (read the article and Leon didn''t say anything of the sort).  I emailed Richard Willner quoting the above, and hey presto! within two or three hours the headline was altered on the website.  Too late to stop it reaching the streets in the EEN of course, but it kept them on their toes. 

If you''re not happy with their response, you can take it further.

Hope this helps.

Good point, Bly Bly Babes. There''s far too much of this sort of thing in the press in general, whether national or local. In the worst cases a paper will quite clearly libel somebody, and then several days, or even weeks later, publish an apology which takes up such a  tiny space tucked away inside the newspaper, that hardly anybody notices it. So you go from huge banner headlines libeling somebody, to a minuscule apology. How unfair!

What I REALLY hate is the fact this sort of thing has spread to television news, particularly the ITV National news.

You get two presenters who look like they''ve got broomhandles up their jacksies pouting at camera and coming out with an alarming headline quoted loudly as if it was absolute fact followed by a quieter line such as ''that''s according to....''

I know this type of sensationalism appeals to certain people (like CJF) who clearly borrow their opinions from media sources but for the rest of us with minds of our own it is very annoying.

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

Stop doing what?

Misquoting people. That''s what.

See today''s Pink''un story by Jonathan Redhead.

Lee Croft did not say with reference to the Carling Cup that "We can go all the way".

He said "......there''s no reason we can''t go a long way in the competition, but............".

Do better. It''s not the first time.

OTBC

[/quote]

I''ve mentioned things about pink''un reporting before (particularly at

the height of the WO campaign) and this is another important point that

should be raised - spot on for doing so BBB.

It''s all part of the typical media stirring and whipping up of feeling among

fans - in this case it''s a positive feeling but as usual it''s taken too

far and is totally unconstructive.

Well done Pink''un for making Croft look like a fool with the "We can go

all the way" headline directly below the losing match report from Vale

Park.

It''s journalism of the lowest common denominator, worthy of any red

top.  NCFC fans should be treated with more respect than that by

their own fan sites and papers.

I''ve noticed this recently as well, but have just written it off as artistic licence of the press - summing up the point of the article in their own misguided words.There was an article in the MEN this week, which had previously appeared in other papers last week, about the so-called future of the Human race.  In general, it suggests that we''re all going to turn out as either super-athletic and tall adonis'', or small, stunted, hobbit-like creatures (some of us are already the latter).  The paper''s last week all seemed to suggest that this meant we were going to become like the Morlocks and Whadgamacallits from The Time Machine, despite the author of the research never saying this.  The MEN suggested we''d all end up like the Beckhams!The Press, it seems, like to write their own stories...Doesn''t matter, anyway.  The research in the above story was carried out for the sattelite channel Bravo, and was completed by a "geneticist" from... The School of Economics...Ho hums...

[quote user="Rudolph Hucker"]It''s already happened Monkey. The Eloi sit behind glass while the Morlocks inhabit the Barclay Lower.[/quote]

Where do the monkeys sit?

Are the evil ones separated from the rest?

Although come to think of it they could hang from the rafters and leave more space for the rest of us - never mind the danger!

OTBC

Well wouldn''t you know, the headline on the Croft story appears to have changed!!

Power to the people, people! What shall we change next?

The Dean Ashton saga still sits true in my Mind.. Those at Archant seemed intent on making ashton to look liek a villain by printing him saying "I am commited to Norwich City"

they quoted his interview with the championship word for Word but missed out the final 2 words which were "until January" Ashton had said he wanted to leave, yet Archant printed it to look like he was saying he didnt want to leave.

Selective Journalism at its finest!

Also, is anyone responsible for checking some of the EDP''s sports stories? some are littered with Spelling and Grammtical errors and have the wrong caption under pictures, i know my seplling or grammer isnt great but then im ot a well respected and wide reaching publication.. it seems very amateur to say the least to think that some peopel simply arent doing their job properly.

Wonder if this will make it past the mods?

jas :)

i thought todays ''On-loan keeper leaves door open'' was a bit cheeky too!well, maybe not so much on the pinkun, but i think it was on the bbc it read ''does not rule out perminant move''which is not what he said at all!

also nice to see "back 4 bid to keep it clean" just before the 5-0 report today too!..........the curse of the pink''un strikes again!!!!!!!

Pete.

Re. your URL-- I look forward to seeing ''just how the Canaries put the ball in the back of the net'' today, especially that ''latest netbuster".

You caan have a few days off!

[:(]

OTBC

In their defence......alot of places in the country have stopped producing their Saturday evening footie paper for financial reasons........So let''s give ''em a bit of slack eh?.........[Y]? 

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

The Dean Ashton saga still sits true in my Mind.. Those at Archant seemed intent on making ashton to look liek a villain by printing him saying "I am commited to Norwich City"

[/quote]Ashton was a mardy tosser though, you have to admit.Yes we got relegated, yes we didn''t adjust well to life back in the Championship. That''s no excuse for playing a game you''re earning 10 grand or more for playing with a face like a slapped arse.Great player, massive talent, but I''ll remember him more for his tantrums.

It is like my earlier posting when it says ''Docherty Ready for War'' which if you actually read his interview he does not even mention the word War.  Surely this only fuels the other team up when they read things like this because we are portraying them as a group of thugs who just want to go out and smash their way to a victory.  Also it makes the player concerned look a right fool because this so called War ended up in a 5-0 thumping.

Rather than start a new post, i thought i''d resurrect this one because

my overall feeling still reflects the title and because i think it may

have beem said already in here.

BUT, i''m fed up with reading the same article again and again and

again. From what i can tell, they seem to get the transcript of PG''s

post match interview and find 15 different angles on it. Then they put

up an article with a different headline and starting with a different

paragraph on the same transcript. So after reading the first few

sentences, it''s back to the same stuff you''ve read sometimes days and

days beforehand.

It''s SO BORING AND NOT NECESSARY.

Indeed, it has happened again this morning.  After a brief mention of PG''s comments about Hucks, it then goes on to repeat the post-match comments he made about the team not passing well and this being his own fault.  The same story I read yesterday, under a different headline, and will probably be on there three or four times by the end of the week.

Can we get an official Archant comment on why this happens? Since it seems to be mostly Chris Lakey who is the culprit, I''ve noticed, maybe it should be raised at his next Web Q&A?

Doesn''t that happen because we get articles on the Pinkun site from many different sources - i.e - the pink un site has it''s own articles, but others from sister sites, such es EDP and EN, are also uploaded onto the main pinkun home page?