Sign in to follow this  
Syteanric

People on the Post..a different discussion

a different Discussion here! something tactics based....

At set Pieces (increasingly more so at free kicks) we see teams put a player on each post, yet very rarely does this seem to make a difference in preventing a goal.

The players put on the post tend to be short, a full back or a winger, meaning they arent really going to win the ball in the air and head it off the line.

My Question is, is putting the man on the post aimed at getting rid of the shorter (and in theory, useless in the air) players so that bigger players can deal with the ball?

Doesnt it stop the keeper covering the top corner of his net if theres 2 people in the way?

wouldnt those players on the post be better suited at clearing loose balls? or trying to defend in other ways at set peices?

just wondering everyones views... discuss!

jas :)

Looks like nobody has any views Jaz :-)

I remember this question from last season and if I remember correctly Worthy said that it was the goalkeepers decision about having players on the post from set pieces. I agree that very often defenders and the keeper get in eachothers way.

Another thing I have noticed in recent years is with the TV coverage at games now, and all the different angles we see the goals shown, how many strikes take slight deflections that beat the keeper. Perhaps it was always that way but without TV we never picked them up. It seemed to happen loads to Robert Green in our prem season.

Although it doesn''t happen very often, whenever someone guarding the post clears a goal-bound effort off the line, everyone says "That''s the value of having someone on each post"!

What is of more concern to me, Jas, is the way that everyone comes back to defend corners, including little Bobby Earnshaw and Darren ''I ain''t heading the ball, it''ll muck up my hair" Huckerby. What''s the point? It makes the area so crowded that they just get in the way. In addition, if we do clear the ball, there''s nobody to hold it up and it''s pumped straight back into the area.   

What I would like to see is Huckerby, Earnshaw and even Croft push right up towards the half-way line for an opposition corner; I''ve used this tactic for junior teams that I''ve managed and it works a treat! It confuses the hell out of the other team and results in them leaving four or five players out of the area to deal with the distinct possibility of a break-away. In addition, it ensures that only your tall men / proper defenders are left to deal with their corner.

Aston Villa''s Jaun Pablo Angel showed yesterday what happens if you have strikers ''helping out'' in the penalty area!     

I''m guessing there''s a good reason why more teams don''t do the same as Link - I just can''t think of one! Anything which spreads play over a wider area of the pitch can only help the quality of football. Perhaps managers are too scared of being pilloried for potentially conceding from a set-piece with 3 players not even attempting to defend? Myself, I prefer your way [:)] (not often I say that! [:D])

I''ve come back to this after a bit of CJF-style web-surfing to see what other peoples opinions are.Lots of people out there feel the same way as Link about leaving players up the field when defending corners - notably Jose Mourinho and Frank Rijkaard! I don''t claim we are Chelsea, or Barcelona, but the theory holds good at any level of football - give the attacking team something to worry about, in case they lose possession from the dead ball.If you''ve got time, click here, it''s an interesting, post-relegation article by a Brummy, on how Steve Bruce is too conservative in team selection and tactics. He covers many areas, including defending corners, with a fairly good (IMO) take on what went wrong for the Blues last season. I found it particularly interesting as I saw many parallels with NCFC under Nigel Worthington. Is it because they both (NW & Bruce) come from defensive backgrounds?Suffice to say, I hope Peter Grant proves to be more of a risk-taker. It may be painful to watch short-term, but if we learn some important lessons it could transform our future.

Jaz,

There is also a player designed to close down the ball that has not been fully cleared. My opinion on the post situationis that you do see a number of occations where the ball does travel to either post where these players do become invaluable. You are talking at least about 5''6" guys who when jumping are capable of meeting the crossbar, so no problem there.

You do see the odd occasion where the ball goes in above the head of the guy defending the post but in these instances the keeper would have not been anywhere near either.

In my opinion, these positions are needed and prove very valuable over the course of a season

[quote user="Fat Barman"]I''m guessing there''s a good reason why more teams don''t do the same as Link - I just can''t think of one! Anything which spreads play over a wider area of the pitch can only help the quality of football. Perhaps managers are too scared of being pilloried for potentially conceding from a set-piece with 3 players not even attempting to defend? Myself, I prefer your way [:)] (not often I say that! [:D])
[/quote]

I can''t think of any good reasons either. I agree with Link that if we left Huckerby and Earnshaw upfield at corners the opposition would be confused and leave at least 3 defenders back with them. If they leave their best defenders marking our best attackers then this would  surely interfere with the set plays that they practice in their own training sessions.

I guess zonal defending could complicate this. We had a thread on zonal defending a few weeks ago and in trying to find out more i found this article among others.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/low/football/rules_and_equipment/4685580.stm

Zonal Defending can (and does for some teams) work in open play... but when defeding a corner etc then u have to man mark... everyone has to know his role, who he is marking.. and not worry about a Zone...

Look at how we conceded against Palace and Siepes goal against us for Plymouth.. because we Zone marked we allowed these players space and time as no one picked them up...

had someone of been on them they might not of got to the ball.... and Worthington might still have a job.... Ultimately Zonal Marking at set pieces is Suicide! thats my opnion

jas :)