Sign in to follow this  
GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary

Is Gallacher good enough?

Yes, we can all say that the defence in front of him is poor, but the fact is we have now let 3 goals in, in our last 3 away games, add to that the 4 at home to Burnley, somewhere along the line the goalkeeper needs to be looked at.

Gallacher has gone from a third choice keeper that we were trying to get rid of on a free transfer to first choice in the space of 6 months.

He had a good end to last season and a good start to this but now there has been a ''levelling off period'' maybe we are deluding ourselves if we thought we could sell Green for 2m and make do with what we have.

I just don''t think Gallacher seems to have the stature and authority to command his area and give confidence to his defence, he never looked comfortable coming for any crosses at QPR yesterday and he shouldn''t have been beaten at this near post like that for the third goal.

In Lee Camp we in theory have the second best young English goalkeeper sitting on our bench, should we take Gallacher out of the firing line for a few games and see what he can do while we have him?

My answer, NO. Just seen the goals from yesterday and QPR''s last minute equalizer should have been saved.Another one in at the near post. I''ve seen enough of the guy now to say he is well below the level required. Grant''s first job new keeper on loan or try camp plus a replacement centre back. Shackell is also not up to standard. To many mistakes from both I''m afraid.

It''s time to try out Camp, Gallacher is good but just not in form at the moment!

If we change the goalkeeper, he should regain his form and want to get back into the squad

Come on Granty, Make it happen!

[quote user="Hardhouse44"]My answer, NO. Just seen the goals from yesterday and QPR''s last minute equalizer should have been saved.Another one in at the near post. I''ve seen enough of the guy now to say he is well below the level required. Grant''s first job new keeper on loan or try camp plus a replacement centre back. Shackell is also not up to standard. To many mistakes from both I''m afraid.[/quote]

I also agree about Shackell. VASTLY overrated. The truth is that Grant needs to sort the whole defence out.

Gallagher has a worrying tendancy to come and punch the ball when it''s totally

unnecessary to do so, and has missed the ball whilst attempting to

punch more than once. The third QPR goal yesterday should have been

saved. He clearly can''t line up a wall either. In my opinion it''s time to give Camp a chance (he didn''t come

just to warm the bench) - hopefully Grant will be able to see that.

Agree with most of the other posts on this one, he isn''t anywhere near good enough to be Norwich''s first choice keeper.  Time to give Camp a go.

Gallachers not world class but he''s not a bad keeper.

Yes there are better keepers around but if you were the manager with a limited transfer budget where would you spend it?

I would certainly stick with Gallacher and choose to spend the money on improving the back four.

Any keeper left totally exposed is going to concede goals.

A strong back four to protect the keeper is far more important.

If only we had sold Green whilst we were in the prem and re invested the money in a centre half!

The main problem seems to be crosses (the lad just isn''t big enough to command his area) and should be covered in training. The first two goals, yesterday, came from poor defensive decisions, which left Gallacher horribly exposed. Young Shacks needs a guiding hand, as he seems to give too many free-kicks away in dangerous positions.The whole squad still appears to be low on confidence, which magnifies their problems by encouraging a lack of decisiveness. You get scared to make decisions, if you doubt yourself, and this means you end up being rushed at the last minute - a scenario which, all too frequently, leads to the wrong decision and a goal-scoring opportunity for the opposition.Peter Grant (according to another thread) has an action plan already in place to tackle our problems. PG''s tips (sorry!) may include team-building and confidence-boosting sessions to try and lift the players spirits out of the doldrums (it''s hard to see how any detailed plans could have been laid in the short period between Worthy''s sacking and PG''s interview). Let''s see how his plans with his existing squad can improve matters, before we start dumping players on the scrapheap.MOTR - a valid point regarding Lee Camp. Our next two games will probably test whichever ''keeper is played - I wouldn''t want to add unfamiliarity between ''keeper and defenders to our impressive list of failings.

i saw the goals on the enws, and totally agree with a lot of the comments,

The last goal we conceeded, he appeared to see it late, i will give him that, but i think he should still have saved it

free kick he had no chance,

and the other, did it deflect?

either way, i think its a time he was given a run for his money, Camp and Lewis should be given a chance

In my opinion, Gallacher has great reflexes but is very suspect in the air - and I''m not too keen on all the punching either - but I think that central defence needs to be sorted. I have never been a fan of Doherty and Shackell could be good but I think that he is a bit full of himself and lacks sustained concentration.

With the number of goals being shipped the spotlight is clearly going to fall on Gallacher, and it would be fair to say that a reasonable person would have have expected the 3rd goal on Sunday to be saved - he went for very late. However, the problem doesn''t just lie with Gallacher, any goalkeeper who is constantly exposed will ship goals. 

Our problems start much further up the field with our "vaunted" midfield of 3, (or is that 5?), who are not effective in their defensive duties coupled to a woefull back 4.  Both Drury and Colin are quite effective at going forwards but constantly allow teams with width to shred us. That leaves the central duo. For me Shackell is the only ray of hope at the moment as he at least displays some passion, but he is inexperienced and does make mistakes. He is the only one who tries to organise the back 4 but shouldn''t that leadership come from the "senior" centreback, be it Doherty or Fleming? Unfortunately, Ginge can be very clumsy and he lacks pace, neither is he a "natural" leader. Fleming is at least a season past his sell by date - a great player a couple of seasons ago but now he is just soooooo slow and he now plays with what looks like petulance when things go wrong.

PG has some real problems on his hands as we don''t have the personnel within the Club to solve the problem. For all that some posters will probably howl, we have not looked secure at the back since we lost Malky and Eddy at the back and Holt doing the defensive business in midfield - remember when we had the tightest defence in the Championship? 

Very good points fat man.

If you have weak midfield, which we have, the ball keeps coming back and back and back to the defence. They eventually cannot cope and buckle.

The problem is not with Gallacher, it is what is infront of him.

IMO, I think you should rephrase that Komakino. The problem is not just with Gallacher, it is also what''s in front of him.

He still doesn''t look in command of his box, whatever the state of the defence/midfield.

I think Gallacher is hopeless with crosses and prone to a mistake a game which could cost a goal.  I noticed last season and early this season he seemed to get away with these blunders, it didn''t last however and recently he has been paying for these mistakes.

Is he good enough? Well as our aim seems to be mid-table championship, then yes I think he is up to this job.

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]

Well as our aim seems to be mid-table championship

[/quote]

Eh? Who said that was our aim?