Sign in to follow this  
a1canary

For God's sake - Forget Lord Lucan, WHERE IS BRENNAN???

NW wastes no time in explaining McVeigh''s substitution and telling the world he wasn''t up to scratch on Saturday, so can he please tell us what''s going on with Brennan? It has become more of a mystery than Shergar. I like the guy, he''s a rare, good quality left footer who could operate in our three man midfield when Francis goes off the boil (can''t be long now!), or on the wing or at left back. I would personally like to see the midfield three with Holt flanked by Cooper and Brennan. That would be a really combative midfield engine room with crosses coming in from both sides. Brennan was an excellent signing and yet it seems increasingly likely we have seen the last of him.

Which i for one would be gutted about, especially if it''s over some petty feud. Someone has said they don''t rate NWs man management skills but i would normally disagree with that. He has managed most individuals and the the team as a whole, very well up to now. I hope he''s not turning into Hoddle!!

It would just be nice if Worthy told the supporters - some of whom ploughed a lot of their own cash into the Club at share issue time - what''s happened to Jim Brennan. After all, as we''re continually being told, "we''re all in it together".

I totally agree NR9, and the total inability of the local press to pick this up has been very disappointing. I don''t expect Roy Waller to ask any remotely searching questions but the News/EDP could at least TRY and find out what has happened to the guy. Performance wise he had done precious little wrong and was beginning to make the left midfield his own until Drury''s injury and the mysterious placing of Shackell out of position at left back (when NW has normally not played him unless absolutely neccesary) instead of Brennan. That cost us the game at Cardiff.
ANSWERS PLEASE!

I don''t think NW owes us anything.

There are only little things left to gripe about now - I notice Silver Fox sounding disgruntled that Hendo and Jarvis "can perform for the ENGLAND u-19''s but won''t get a look in for Norwich" NO! That''s cos we''re winning, and u-19 football is for kids.

Brennan may have gone missing, but why should Nigel or the club tell us anything? We''re still winning games without him, and maybe if NW tells us all what happened it will affect the "punishment" he is giving out. People were moaning that he "had to play his best team" - he IS!! Just forget it, I don''t think it matters. Trust Nigel to get it right, and let what goes on behind the scenes stay behind the scenes.

Sorry if this sounds rant-y but we should just enjoy the fact that everything (relatively) is going swimmingly.

Yeah good idea - lets all hassle Worthy to tell us what''s happened to Brennan. Bound to have been some shady goings-on there. I was just thinking Worthy hasn''t got enough on his plate at the moment - let''s go and annoy him.

Mook I am not disgruntled, more disappointed that the youngsters rarely get a run out in the first team or in Jarvis''s case not even on the bench. I know Worthy prefers the older more experienced players in his team, but I do feel that Hendo, Jarvis and Shackell would not be out of place in the first team. Those kids as you refer to them have helped us to some good wins this season and I think they probably feel that representing their country albeit at U-19 level is quite an achievement. I wonder how many kids from Man Utd, Arsenal, Liverpool and Chelsea were in the U-19 squad.

Sorry for going of the Brennan topic, but I had to ask Silver Fox (or Pup) a question. I agree with Silver that H, J & S are fine young players and they have not let us down this season, and that representing their country is a great achievement. However surely our aim this year is promotion, "you win nothing with kids" says Hansen.

My question is who would you leave out of the current team to let them play a few games?

Shackell would replace, Drury, Fleming, or Mackay? Err no, 34 goals conceded in 39 games answers that one.

Henderson would replace, Rivers, McVeigh, or Cooper? Rivers possibly but have McVeigh or Cooper let us down?

Jarvis (probably most talented of the 3) would replace, Svensson, Roberts, McKenzie, or Huckerby? No way.

So yes they would look out of place because in each case there are at least 2 senior players who are currently better players than they are. They are good young players who will learn a lot playing against premier league reserve teams next year; they will be a big asset to us the following year back in Div 1. Good yes but not quite good enough at this point in time.

Worthys man management skills have been questioned yet again.
If a player gets a little stroppy then just drop him for the next game to teach him a lesson. There is no need to banish him to the wilderness like Rivers and (possibly) now Brennan. What does this acheive apart from disgruntle the player, reduce his confidence, lessen his ability when he may make his way back into the team and so on.
For example, say what you like about Rivers but the main problem of the right hand side as continuely been patched up i.e. henderson. Rivers has never been given the chance since him and worthy fell out.
Brennan? Is great in our midfield? Lets not lose him because of this

I am sorry but I do question Worty''s man management at times, he falls out with players on a regular basis, some of these he is happy to publicise others he is more reticent about. However you cannot be critical of the job he has done so far this year. But what concerns me is what if god forbid one of our defenders were to get injured and we needed to reshuffle, there appeared no options on Saturday''s bench.

Perhaps Kevin Cooper but if Brennan were there he could cover Drury who could move into the middle, Holt at right back if necessary.

We have been very fortunate with having a full complement at the back for most of the season but I would like to see some defensive cover on the bench, Worthy has been extremely fortunate to date, I hope it continues and we don''t pay the price.

Remember Wigan have two powerful pacey strikers to contend with and a home defeat is something we do not need at this stage of the season.

Silver Fox and freddy are both absolytely right- we must win promotion now as I just can''t see us ever being in a better position than we are with some of the games we have left and those of the third placed team (Sunderland have a dauting run coming up). S, H, and J will get their chances in due course either next year or the year after when we are either back in this division and need them matured or to consolidate us in the Prem. Right now we need experience.

On the Brennan subject I am a great admirer of the player and there is an odd contract with McVeigh. Why publicly humiliate one player and drop him mid game but no comment on the other? Maybe there si actually no issue between them and its just a case of tactics/formation.

Neil Adams on the radio is normally quite insightful and presumably still has many inside contacts at the club. Has he said anything about this situation?

I do not question NW''s man-management. Anyone who can get three premiership players, put them straight into a team currently below-par and take them to the top of the table without upsetting anyone (apart from Rivers it seems) is doing a bloody good job. Let''s just see what happens - I''d rather have Worthy in the dugout, warts and all, than Brennan on the pitch/bench.

Disagree entirely Mook. I''m not having a go at Worthy, i just want to know what has happened to an important squad member who i believe will be even more important to us in the premiership. If he''s seen his last game in a city shirt, i want to know about it, full stop. It makes no difference if we''re top of the league or bottom of the league. Sorry if that upsets your rosy land but unfortunately nothing is ever perfect!! I''m delighted and delerious that we''re in the position we''re in and i''ve been loving every minute of it since December 21st but it doesn''t mean i''m going to suddenly stop questioning important issues like the total and unexplained disappearance of an important player.

At the end of the day we know nothing, absolutley nothing of what goes on behind closed doors. Worthy''s the manger, he''s the boss, he hasn''t let us down yet, if he wants to tell us about Brennan he can, if he doesn''t I don''t think he has too. Let''s just get behind the boss and trust him on this one

Maybe he''s been abduct(or)ed!

Its very strange that he has just disappeared without a word.

The wall of silence points to a non-trivial matter having arisen - we''d know if he was injured, we''d know if he was just under-performing (McVeigh case in point) and had been dropped.

If something serious has happened and we all knew about it, the resulting furore, could unsettle the fans and in turn the team.

Worthy has done a fine job to date - and if he needs to keep a lid on this until everything is done and dusted - then lets let him get on with it.

Ok, fair enough, seems like i''ve been out voted on this. But i''m surprised everyone''s being quite so meek about this.
Ha ha, Meek Mook! Mook the Meek!

Only reason I can think of losing an otherwise excellent player in mysterious circumstances is if he''s having personal problems or berievement. That might explain the silence surounding his disappearence.
Of cause alien abduction can''t be ruled out entirely!

what is all the fuss about,does fergie ever fall out with players at utd?of course he does and keeping it out the papers is only good for the team,if you dont pull your weight for the team go back and wait in line,thats what has happened to brennan and rivers,both of whom i feel have suspect temprements,brennan was missing for the first half of the season with a little niggle(hucks has put those injuries in to perspective),now he is busting a gut to play all the time,rivers was always breaking a toe nail or messing his hair up,look at what type of player worthy was,a no nonsence full back,if you think he is going to take that sort of crap from light weights your on a different planet,i am glad he has these fall outs thats what sort of manager i want to see,sven talked the talk but he is backing it up with action and comitment,leon has waited silently for his oppotunity and has worked his nuts off too,you think worthy treated these players like premadonnas they would be putting it in for him like they are at presant,get off the guys back,he is possably the best manager motavation wise i think we have ever had,lets not question him ,lets back him and the players he chooses to pick,one thing for sure the players he gives the shirts to now are 100% commited to the cause,and are playing with a passion rarely seen before at carrow road!

I completely disagree with you Mook.

"I don''t think NW owes us anything." - As people who effectively pay his wages he has to answer indirectly to the fans whether that''s through winning games or explaining his actions on/off the field. Although, of course, he is doing an excellent job I doubt you would say the same if we were in Wimbledon''s position. Thus I think that whatever our league placement it is down to the manager to keep the fans informed as to the running of the club as much as possible. I think what A1 is rightly getting is that at any Premiership club (And perhaps NW should get used to this!) the manager explains (unless in rare circumstances) what has happened to a player. Even Fergie manages to make it perfectly clear if he has fallen out with someone. All some of us want to know is what has happened to a very useful player. If he''s fallen out with NW then that''s fine - we respect the manager''s position. But, a bit of an explanation would be nice.

N.W is paid to manage to the best of his ability as he sees fit, at the same time retaining the confidentiality of his reasons for his decisions where they may effect his ability to deal with what may be private concern between him and certain players. I am sure that if NW is not doing his job to the satisfaction of the board and staff, he and they (the board) will be aware of it. Like previous situations that have existed within the club, decisions about them and how they may be dealt with are made without reference to us lot on these boards, nor should they be. I like many have held shares in many companies and though my money is responsible for bankrolling the management of them, I have never yet been asked for my opinion on their buisiness or man management decisions. If I dont like what goes on I withdraw my support and sell my shares if it suits me so to do. NW will pay the price for bad decisions and poor man management, we the board users will find that out through the media when he is sacked. This is the way good businesses are run.OTBC

beelsie, I have to say that I agree with every word, every phrase and every sentence of your post. I hope cityangel doesn''t get cross with me.

Of course we should be told what is happening to Brennan. How many times is it stated that "the Club belongs to the fans"?
I don''t give a rats arse about Mr W''s man management skills, (which I personally think are poor - witness similar situations with several players over the last couple of years, most of which W signed), I would just like to know what has happened to a player who has performed well when picked, and who gives options/cover to the squad. Not too much to ask really.

Well that just goes to show what a monkey you are FatMan. It''s people like you that can''t see what a great job he''s done.

Nw''s management skills which personally you "think are poor" make you personally look like an idiot. Here are a list of the finishing positions of the previous NCFC teams over the last nine years - SPOT THE DIFFERENCE -

95/96 16TH
96/67 13TH
97/98 15TH
98/99 9TH (With Bellamy and a fully charged Iwan up front)
99/00 12TH
00/01 15TH

01/02 6TH
02/03 8TH
03/04 ?????

Team spirit is at an all-time high, as is our league position. Just stop looking for an excuse to get on Worthy''s back. Go and sulk about Brennan at home, and leave the rest of us to smile, laugh and enjoy the good fortune and performances we are getting.

Too right Mook, it never ceases to amaze me that no matter how well the club is doing, a number (fairly large unfortunately) of `supporters` simply HAVE to have something to moan and get irate about. Usually its the teams youngest, most inexperienced players who bear the brunt- you know, the ones whose confidence is most fragile and easily destroyed. Very clever that.

Now its this demand that Worthy should air the clubs dirty washing in public every time there is a bit of a fall-out. What do people expect Worthy to say? "He called me a ******* ****, so i said **** off to the reserves till you sort your attitude out". What good would this do? It would simply lead to more acrimony at a time when people more than ever need to pull together and give the team a final push over the finishing line. IF Worthy came out and said a player had done something serious what do you think the result would be? Probably an irreparable rift between manager and player, unrest in training and abuse from the fans if that player is called upon to play. If anyone can tell me how this would help City win promotion i`d love to hear it.

I`m more than happy to leave that kind of man-management to Colin Warnock and Pardew and praise Delia that we have a manager who goes about his work professionally, thoughtfully and SUCCESSFULLY!!

Well said Mook and Mr carrow am I allowed to trespass and support YOUR every word, phrase,etc.etc.etc! witout incurring too much wrath from you know who?

Ok you lot, before you start the self-congratulatory back-slapping and traditional group hugs for anyone you recognise whilst simultaneously looking suspiciously at anyone who hasn''t been to every single home AND away match for the last 70 years ("Bloody glory supporters!") let''s just take a moment to reflect on what has been said...

Nobody has questioned that NW has done an absolutely fantastic job. It''s obvious. All a few people have said is that they would like to know where one of their favourite players has gone too. Every manager has slight faults. I feel that NW''s man-management is at times poor. However, I wouldn''t want anyone as manager...it''s just a tiny little fault I feel he has.

Mr.Carrow needs to have a read through this thread and indeed this messageboard. You''ll be hard pushed to find many of these "fairly large number unfortunately [of supporters who] simply HAVE to have something to moan and get irate about" I would suggest that you see these mythical people simply to make yourself feel more of a "real" supporter.

Sometimes the official board has more intelligent people posting which is hard to believe given the most popular threads are about some girl who''s going to take her top off when we go up. However, they do seem to grasp the rather simple concept that a) "real" fans come in all shapes and sizes and that not everyone can make every single match and more importantly b) that critism of the club should be handled with a certain level maturity - people are only asking questions about the club and/or players that they love and are not "always moaning about something."

Yes, but with Brennan - nobody is in "love" with him. He is no hero, yet. He has done nothing this season compared to the likes of Hucks, Greeno, Malky, Fleming, Edworthy, McVeigh and even Sven and Leon.

A good player yes - but let''s not pretend he''s some kind of crowd favourite and we''re all desperate to find out what''s happened to the "mainstay" of our team, Jim Brennan. People just want to know because they are nosey, they like a bit of trouble.

I think you haven''t properly read Mr. Carrow''s post as it states quite clearly why telling the fans what has happened could cause problems. It has nothing to do with intelligence, just a simple understanding of when we, the fans, are needed - and when we''re not. I can handle that, but it seems some people have to know everything, and for what reason?

RIGHT, this thread has got TOTALLY messed up, everyone seems to have got the wrong end of everyone else''s stick, so to speak! To such an extent that even Mook has started throwing insults around - i never thought i''d see the day! Is this because i (light heartedly)referred to you as Mook the Meek? Things have not been helped by the fact that somehow, the order of the posts has got all mixed up (what''s happened there Peter?!).
Basically, this discussion has divided in to two camps, those who are;
not concerned about what has happened to Brennan''s place in the team and are prepared to accept, without question, that for whatever reason, he no longer has a place in the team or on the bench.
And those who; would like to know if we have LOST an important and valuable member of the squad.

There is nothing wrong with either view but i feel that those who aren''t concerned are being unecessarily obnoxious towards those that have a simple question - "what has happened to an important member of the squad?" It''s not ''moaning'', i''m not a ''supporter'' in inverted commas, we don''t want to sack the board, we''re delighted with the team and it''s position, some of us merely have a concern which we have aired. Forgive me but isn''t this what the board is for? Personally i can''t understand why any passionate fan, as we all are, could be so indifferent about this but that''s up to you. As for NW''s man management, that''s a matter of opinion. I think on the whole it is very good but if we have effectively lost a player as a result of a feud, people have the right to question the man management behind that if the want to.
There is a balance to be struck between blind acceptance of the status quo and ''moaning'' about everything. There is nothing wrong with questioning - to continue the business analogy, every good business continually questions what it does and why it does it. As share holders and ticket payers, we as supporters have a right to question the business at the club. We may not get an answer but that doesn''t mean we can''t ask or be concerned about something and we should be able to be without others seeing it as not being proper supporters, or ''moaning'', or being disloyal.

So lets not lose sight of the spirit of this board.

I agree A1 this board is all about opinions and debate and long may it continue,in this case both arguments are reasoned and both have interesting facts,you pays your money and takes your choice we all want the same but maybe we just choose different paths to get there.The main protaganists here are both excellent posters and i enjoy their thoughts however diverse.