Sign in to follow this  
Cluck

PETER GRANT....GLAD TO BE HOME?

So the spin has begun already......

At the press conference Peter Grant has announced that he is "pleased to be back home"......Do me a favour for god''s sake! Two dodgy seasons at Carrow Road and he calls it home? Insincere and patronsing at best....and some of the slush that will be pumped into us now over the 3 and a half years of his contract. Elocution lessons now I suppose so that he can talk like the ''mugs'' he thinks we are.

A giggly Delia Smith talking on Sky stating that applications for the job had totalled ''three figures''.....yet we a get a bloke who never even applied for the job? We all know Pardew is clinging on by his teeth....so for me he jumped before he was pushed. He must have thought Christmas had come early.

What style are we likely to see from Peter Grant...."Ooooh" says a still more giggly Delia...." he has much of what we saw in Nigel Worthington when he first came".....Bloody great!

"Cometh the hour...cometh the man" was I believe the quote by Grant that impressed our flappy flossy board so much? Had he made it up himself I may have been more impressed.

This is a terrible appointment by a pathetic board.........so be ready for a shed load of disappointment.

Actually when he arrived here from Celtic he said something like"When they bury me they will write Celtic and Norwich on my gravestone" so you probably are a mug whether he thinks you are or not.

But then I suppose you will worship him if he gets promotion.

Nice way to be Optimistic Cluckin!

Unless you have the money to fund a three and a half year contract for Curbishley then you''ll have to settle with Grant

I can''t see how you can call him a terrible appiontment considering he has no managerial record!

Everyone, say hello to Cluckin aka Yellow Fever. At least you got your occupation and interests spot on.

Dear Mr Cluckin,

I have attached to this what I posted in reply to you on another thread. You hadn''t replied and it dropped off the first pages, so I thought I''d include it here. I wouldn''t want you to suffer in ignorance.

[quote user="mbncfc"][quote user="mbncfc"]

Cluckin, was it not you who spend 12 days telling everyone that we''ll get what we''re given. Only now you''ve decided that what we''ve been given isn''t acceptable. Tt''s the worst, cheapest, weakest possible appointment the board could have made up.

This despite the facts that you wanted Mark Bowen because -

a, he was a former player

b, he is a successful coach

c, he has coached in the top flight

d, he would show ambition because they would have to pay compensation for him (ie Not really cheap is it?)

Obviously, when suggesting Bowen, experience of management wasn''t an issue. Passion? Fire in Bowen''s belly? if you read all the quotes about Peter Grant, they''re are words that seem to constantly crop up.

So, with all this said and done, I''m thoroughly convinced that you''re maybe a little forgetful, possibly computer aggressive, or just bored and you want to start a fight.

I''d like to know your thoughts on this though...

[/quote]

Another point I''d like to add Cluckin, and again I''d like your opinion on this when you get a moment, is that I remember you suggesting Dave Stringer should either coming back as manager, or as a director of football role.

Well, it seems they did use his experience as they consulted him on the management appointment and he seems to agree with Grant as manager. (see Official Site. I expect there''s some ''spin/PR'' in here, but a lot is direct quotes and I''m sure we all have enough respect for Stringer to respect his comments)

I really can''t see what you''re problem is with PG being appointed I''m afraid...

[/quote]

Would still like to know how you feel about this. Constructively too please...

I agree cluckin, what a load of bollocks. 

I''m not going to pass judgement on PG before he''s even kicked a water bottle, but I do despair at the way so many of our fans seem to soak up the outpourings of the spin machine like a dry sponge.  You''re not being disloyal if you dare to question it, in fact just the opposite.  

It might be nice if we can at least give PG the benefit of the doubt until say, oh i don''t know, 9:30 pm tomorrow ?  Although I appreciate that some people might feel that 1 days'' training is far too long to turn things around.  Obviously one soundbite is enough for some people.

Fact is, if we start to win games, will you care about spin ?

[quote user="mbncfc"]

Dear Mr Cluckin,

I have attached to this what I posted in reply to you on another thread. You hadn''t replied and it dropped off the first pages, so I thought I''d include it here. I wouldn''t want you to suffer in ignorance.

[quote user="mbncfc"][quote user="mbncfc"]

Cluckin, was it not you who spend 12 days telling everyone that we''ll get what we''re given. Only now you''ve decided that what we''ve been given isn''t acceptable. Tt''s the worst, cheapest, weakest possible appointment the board could have made up.

This despite the facts that you wanted Mark Bowen because -

a, he was a former player

b, he is a successful coach

c, he has coached in the top flight

d, he would show ambition because they would have to pay compensation for him (ie Not really cheap is it?)

Obviously, when suggesting Bowen, experience of management wasn''t an issue. Passion? Fire in Bowen''s belly? if you read all the quotes about Peter Grant, they''re are words that seem to constantly crop up.

So, with all this said and done, I''m thoroughly convinced that you''re maybe a little forgetful, possibly computer aggressive, or just bored and you want to start a fight.

I''d like to know your thoughts on this though...

[/quote]

Another point I''d like to add Cluckin, and again I''d like your opinion on this when you get a moment, is that I remember you suggesting Dave Stringer should either coming back as manager, or as a director of football role.

Well, it seems they did use his experience as they consulted him on the management appointment and he seems to agree with Grant as manager. (see Official Site. I expect there''s some ''spin/PR'' in here, but a lot is direct quotes and I''m sure we all have enough respect for Stringer to respect his comments)

I really can''t see what you''re problem is with PG being appointed I''m afraid...

[/quote]

Would still like to know how you feel about this. Constructively too please...

[/quote]

Well....pretty much out on my own I see.

Firstly, any comparison of my angle to those of Yellow Fever doesn''t warrant reply....although have just done so..

Reference to my little joke re my ''interests/occupation''.....it is called wry humour. I could change it easily, but if it irritates anyone here so much I will leave it up.

Ref mbncfc.....Some people are better at spotting something on the pavement before they step in it than others. Peter Grant is a bad choice by an entrenched and weak Board of Directors.  Just as they clung onto Worthington to show contempt for club supporters....equally they have gone out of their way to replace him with Grant.  If anyone was sucked in by the spin and tripe we have had dished up today....i.e. ''a unanimous decision by all parties'' I feel embarrassed for you. Delia has the last say....as poor little Mr. Jones would surely agree. Stringer....lovely bloke but not about to rock Good Ship Delia.

Re my preference for Mark Bowen? He was a superb player for Norwich in an equally superb side. Grant was a donkey in a very poor side.

As a coach, Mark Bowen has earned his stripes at both International and Premiership level and has worked alongside Mark Hughes....possibly the best manager around. I had close knowledge of Grant during his time at Bourenmouth....so I know his angle. He is a yes man and a pretty boy....ideal for Delia.

Grant was in line for the push at West Ham....fact.  Also knowing Grant''s motivation...it is all about Peter Grant and his personal rise to fame. If he has any success here he will be off like a shot.....looking after Peter Grant.

Asked whether funds would be available to the new man on Sky....the reply was "we''ll have to see about that at the time"(in other words no.). Any worthwhile management candidate would surely recoil at this vital issue if true ambition was evident. Grant sucked it in....sucked a naive board in by doing so.....and that''s why he was chosen......No ripples there then for the Board in the months ahead.

And finally.....can anyone here seriously believe Peter Grant sees Norwich as home?.....Come on...PLEASE!

We are seen by ''The Board'' as a necessary evil. We as fans are held in pretty much contempt by them.....so don''t believe there is affection. It''s a business and we are helpting to build a personal empire. Thats all it is..........

Now correct me if i am wrong but isn''t Peter Grant:

1) A Former player, allbeit when Mr Chase had decided that our best players hsould ALL be sold.

2) A succesful coach

3) He has coached in the top flight with some degree of success.

Mr Cluckin,

I agree with you on the ''Coming Home'' line. It wasn''t needed - it doesn''t all need to be sickly sweet.

I think this comes down to a general difference in opinion. Mark Bowen has got international experience alongside a decent manager. Personally, I feel that Pardew is a decent manager too, and Peter Grant has done the same job at Premiership level. Personally, I don''t think the quality of the sides that they played in at Norwich is relevant to how good a manager they would/will be. I think that ties in with sentimentality and is on a par with any criticism of the ''back home'' quote.

I agree, I''m sure money is an issue and time will tell how many yes''s he''ll have to give. You seem to be likening the appointment to when Megson got the job under Chase. I don''t agree with this.

I also find your pavement comment very arrogant, in assuming that I''m not looking where I''m talking. I''m afraid your opinion isn''t better than mine, as much as you protest.

It sounds as though you know Peter Grant very well, more so than many people who have worked for him and commented in the press recently. That''s fair enough and would mean you have much more personal experience backing up your views. Obviously you followed his time at Bournemouth too. What came out of his time there? How come he was set for the boot?? Is this a rumour along with this take over, because to offer that as fact is slightly premature, much like your pavement comment...

Also, I guess for someone who protested whilst the manager rumour and speculation was doing the rounds that ''we''d get what we''re given'', I expected you to be pretty ambivalent to any appointment. I didn''t expect you to be so annoyed.

I do appreciate and respect you coming back to me in full. We disagree (without me being some kind of sheep by the way!), but then that happens...

O. K. he was not my first choice , but lets give him a go , you never know , my choice would have been david williams but thats not to be , so O.K.lets see what he can do , we all know he has inherited a c**p team from worthington . most of us could see what was going on , but not the F T Fs , those are who i blame for our position 19th in the league , are you happy now you K T Fs ? dicky ,chicken .any response ? no i thought not

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

mbncfc.......

Total respect is offered to you for a fair appraisal of our little ''disagreement'' .

I didn''t mean to appear arrogant re the pavement comment...it was meant to indicate that given insight, some people can see possible events arising....and you are right that I have a certain degree of reason to say what I did re our new manager. I am not happy that he has been selected.....nor am I convinced that Delia has chosen him for the right reasons as far as the ordinary supporter is concerned.

I am also known for the fact that I am not happy with the way the club has been ''hi-jacked'' by an individual....namely Delia Smith. I do not see her as the great saviour that everyone else does, because being in business I can see pretty much where things are going at Carrow Road and also where the priorities are. If this were an engineering or some other such concern I would applaud her approach....but this is a football club and for the thousands of loyal fans out here.....personal empire building is not what we want. We want a successful team....and that is why we pay good money to see it on matchdays.

As a lifelong City fan....nothing would please me more than to have to eat my own words...and I hope I do, but based on personal experiences I wouldn''t raise your hopes. Peter Grant is an import of this shambolic Board and I would far rather have had an applicant who came because he was inspired to do so. Sadly....and true to tradition we will never find out the truth about who did apply for the job....so, as I stated we ''got what we were given''.....there was never any question as to whether we would have any say. That is business of course...but again, this is no ordinary business......it is a football club and a great passion for many of us.

It is important to air our views and thanks for not getting personal about it. As well as the gung-ho spirit of the forever optimistic....there has to be balance and sometimes this doesn''t make happy reading. If we do get dragged into a dog fight at the end of the season and go down....it may become a serious business issue for those within the club....but more importantly it would be heartbreak for the thousands of Norfolk people who live for little else on a Saturday..(or Sunday, or Monday...)

Lets hope it doesn''t come to that of course.....but sometimes unpleasant prospects have to be pondered upon! Maybe a bit less spin and bullsh*t from the board in future might make us non-believers less cynical.

Why a 3.5 yr contract though, he was about to be sacked by WHU, surely a 1 yr contract would be suffice if only on account of the bullsh@t he is trying to feed us! I haven''t forgotten the Celtic/Norwich tombstone line either. in fact it was such a high level line of bullsh@t most of us remember him by it 10 years later!!

[quote user="cluckin"]

At the press conference Peter Grant has announced that he is "pleased to be back home"......Do me a favour for god''s sake! Two dodgy seasons at Carrow Road and he calls it home? Insincere and patronsing at best....and some of the slush that will be pumped into us now over the 3 and a half years of his contract. Elocution lessons now I suppose so that he can talk like the ''mugs'' he thinks we are.

A giggly Delia Smith talking on Sky stating that applications for the job had totalled ''three figures''.....yet we a get a bloke who never even applied for the job? We all know Pardew is clinging on by his teeth....so for me he jumped before he was pushed. He must have thought Christmas had come early.

What style are we likely to see from Peter Grant...."Ooooh" says a still more giggly Delia...." he has much of what we saw in Nigel Worthington when he first came".....Bloody great!

"Cometh the hour...cometh the man" was I believe the quote by Grant that impressed our flappy flossy board so much? Had he made it up himself I may have been more impressed.

This is a terrible appointment by a pathetic board.........so be ready for a shed load of disappointment.

[/quote]

Pipe down!

[quote user="John Boubepo"]Why a 3.5 yr contract though, he was about to be sacked by WHU, surely a 1 yr contract would be suffice if only on account of the bullsh@t he is trying to feed us! I haven''t forgotten the Celtic/Norwich tombstone line either. in fact it was such a high level line of bullsh@t most of us remember him by it 10 years later!![/quote]Well pardon him for giving a toss about our club.You evidently don''t.I smell more bullsh*t eminating from you than Grant could manage in those 10 years.Go support a club worthy of your level of support. I suggest a trip down the A140.

[quote user="cluckin"]

He is a yes man and a pretty boy....ideal for Delia.

[/quote]

Hadn''t noticed. Do you find him attractive?

[quote user="cluckin"]

Grant was in line for the push at West Ham....fact. 

[/quote]You realise every time you say "fact" you sound more and more like David Brent?As if you needed any help sounding ridiculous.

[quote user="cluckin"]

[/quote]Amazing. You make Paul Rankin in the early worthy out days look like a lefty liberal! Thing is though, i''ve already said that there is something familiar about your slightly unhinged ramblings, such that you can''t take them at all seriously and can only take amusement from them. So to me, that adds up to only one thing - the legendary 1st Wizard! Someone else says you''re ''Yellow Fever''. Either way, I can''t believe you had the audacity to accuse me of hiding behind switched user names when i''ve never once changed my username in my entire web using life! If you find a1canary anywhere else out there in cyberspace, you can be sure it''s me!But i''d love to know if you are 1st Wizard, then i can just enjoy your posts for the amusement factor rather than bother with taking them too seriously. Wiz doesn''t take himself too seriously - he couldn''t given the number of times he changed his allegiances and view points. So much so that he had rather made a mockery of himself lately. All the more reason to change his identity i suppose...

Not sure about the "coming home" comments, but please lets give the guy a chance.

No one knows how it''s going to go right now with the new manager. He is unproven, but I for one hope he gets this good attacking team working on defence as well. Then we might climb the table.

All the best PG and let''s hope this message board is all about how great we are in the coming months. Why would we ever want anything different!

This really does beggar belief, to not give PG a chance to prove himself at ‘All’ respects defies logic.

Perhaps he does feel as though in part he is coming home, perhaps he enjoyed it here, hell he might even have retained a property here.  Who ever would think a former Norwich player liked it so much they wanted to come back and manage the club.  Martin who?

Whilst criticism of the board of directors is entirely justified it seems to me the rifts created by their shoddy handling of Worthington has left us deeply divided.   Carrying this sort of mind set into the new appointment will be nothing other than divisive and I for one would not want my thoughts or actions to be in any way at all prejudicial to the start of the PG regime.

None the less we have an AGM soon so dare I suggest that all the pent up anger that is so abundant is channelled into the right quarters namely the board of directors, shareholders have a right to attend and question their running of the club and rest assured this one has plenty.  An evening of well structured and robust questions that drive straight to the heart of the clubs problems is what is required and not another cynically stage managed affair that we have been tested to in the last two years.

Good luck PG

Bullsh!t or not Grant had to come in and assert himself. He doesn''t want to act like the new boy he wants to stamp his credentials to be the boss on a squad of players who have been at the Club for a while, a long whle and too long a while.

Grant knows he will be judged by his words so he is putting pressure on himself. it sounds a lot like Pardew. Spin is all about deflection, Grant has put himself to the fore. It is not spin, give the man a chance he has got a hell of a job on his hands.

If I came into a Club where a bunch of players had got my predecessor sacked I think I''d be setting out my perameters pretty quickly too.

[quote user="John Boubepo"]Why a 3.5 yr contract though, he was about to be sacked by WHU, surely a 1 yr contract would be suffice if only on account of the bullsh@t he is trying to feed us! I haven''t forgotten the Celtic/Norwich tombstone line either. in fact it was such a high level line of bullsh@t most of us remember him by it 10 years later!!
[/quote]

he was about to be sacked by WHU, you know something we don''t then? i think i can smell something, smells like bul....... I mean speculation!

Strange how people can get so different facts/impressions. I too had"close knowledge" of Peter Grant at Bournemouth and a yes man pretty boy was totally the last thing he was. West Ham ..well if Pardew went then so would most of his team but don''t try to make it sound like Granty was in line for the sack alone. And as for Delia, have we had our beak put out at some stage, you sound very like an acquaintance who has a very personal axe to grind

I''ve also read a lot of spin & bullsh@t over the past year or so. However, in my considered opinion it does not emanate from the club officials, but from a group of posters on here who are so puffed up with their own importance they feel theirs are the only opinions that matter. So for any official at the club to be so foolish as to make a decision contrary to the blindingly obvious one that they would have made, well then, it must be a conspiracy against NCFC, because (in their little world) they ARE the club.

Just my opinion.

As valid/not valid as yours.

Gee but its great to be back home
Home is where I want to be.
Ive been on the road so long my friend,
And if you came along
I know you couldnt disagree.

Its the same old story
Everywhere I go,
I get slandered,
Libeled,
I hear words I never heard
In the bible
And Im on step ahead of the shoe shine
Two steps away from the county line
Just trying to keep my customers satisfied,
Satisfied.

Hey Cluckin

We all know your opinion by now, so why keep posting the same kind of threads all the time.

Stop being negative and give him a chance.

"but more importantly it would be heartbreak for the thousands of Norfolk people who live for little else on a Saturday..(or Sunday, or Monday...)"

These have to be just about the most condescending words posted for some time. Many of us are passionate about the Club and all that surrounds it but it doesn''t mean that we have little else to live for when things go wrong - perhaps they applied to you?

As it happens, from my personal perspective I was originally disappointed by the appointment of PG as my preferred choice was Mark Bowen, (who I can claim to have known personally for a number of years). However as more information becomes available from sources both within and outside of Carrow Road I find myself beginning to believe that PG may actually prove to be an astute appointment but we need to give him at least the remainder of this season so that he can implement the necessary changes. If he is succesfull and decides to move on then I don''t give a rats arse, in fact I would even expect it - at least it wpould show that the Board did have the perception to appoint the person who turned our fortunes around.

In essence, there is much to commend the appointment of PG and I for one hope that he he succeeds.

Cluckin`, in your thoughts on the board believe me you are not out on your own. Its just that debating the matter with most of the usual suspects on here is like banging your head on a brick wall. If you present a cogent argument and ask some pertinent questions about the way our club has been run (particularly since promotion) you either get abuse or ignored. After 15 years as a season ticket holder im now an away-only supporter. I will not financially support a board for whom success on the pitch comes way down their list of priorities.

[quote user="Mr.Carrow"]    Cluckin`, in your thoughts on the board believe me you are not out on your own. Its just that debating the matter with most of the usual suspects on here is like banging your head on a brick wall. If you present a cogent argument and ask some pertinent questions about the way our club has been run (particularly since promotion) you either get abuse or ignored. After 15 years as a season ticket holder im now an away-only supporter. I will not financially support a board for whom success on the pitch comes way down their list of priorities.[/quote]

Thank you for the voice of reason. Whether in agreement or not...a balanced debate is what is needed and it seems quite a few on this board can only throw personal abuse around or accuse a different approach of being bulsh*t. Open your eyes and stop believing the spin.

I will not agree with the gang mentality and will have my say.....whether or not this means I can''t play with you anymore. This is a snapshot on modern life....join the gang or you will be rounded on.

Delia Smith is the worst thing that has happened to this club......and if you have any hope that Norwich will again reach the Premiership under her guidance again....forget it. Last time was a total freak....and the lack of ambition shown by the board again will provide nothing more than mediocrity. Maybe you enjoy being ''little old Norwich''.....the club that makes everyone chuckle.

Sorry if you can''t see that.....but I can. My seat at Carrow Road will remain empty for the remainder of this season.......and unless you take off the blinkers soon....many more will be as time rolls by. A reality check is needed to wake this club up.....and I fear relegation is the only thing that will remove the stars from your eyes.