Sign in to follow this  
Canary02

Chuffed, but cautious

I''m absolutely delighted with last nights result, and chuffed for Peter Grant.

However, I think we need to maintain a little caution. At the end of the day he''s a first time manager, and he will inevitably make mistakes, probably sometime soon. The way some people are talking it''s as though we''ve found the new Mourinho after one result, and if we build him up too much, it''ll be a hell of a falldown when he inevitably makes a mistake and we lose a game.

Last night, he showed some great early signs of what he''s capable of squeezing out of us. But let''s not get too carried away and set ourselves up for feeling gutted if it doesn''t continue immediately. He still has to work with the team that Worthington created in the short term, and we know that there are some weak links in there which will probably let Grant down at some point (especially after the desire to impress the new boss loses it''s initial gloss).

But great start, well done to all, and long may it continue.

Fair points well made Canary.

It''s also worth pointing out that Birmingham are in a slump of their own, 2 points won from the last 15 available, and sorely missing Bendtner up front.  You have to wonder how different our season so far might have been, had Bendtner come here instead of following his Arsenal team-mates on loan there.

Cardiff on Saturday will be an entirely different proposition.  Chopra is scoring goals for fun, and Dave Jones reckoned that last nights'' win against Southampton was their best to date.  If we beat Cardiff it will be very hard to keep perspective on Grant''s start, and it would be a shame if a dip afterwards provoked a backlash.  Equally it would be a shame if negativity ruled should we not beat them.  He''s still bedding in, and while last night was encouraging, we have a long way to go. 

BlahBlahblah,

I agree that this is a good start and with an away win in Birmingham with their large squad.

Cardiff on Saturday will be the real test of how Grant is managing the team, we have the players to beat Cardiff, we just need to hold firm in defence as I feel we will be bombarded by the likes of Chopra.

A long way to go but a good start with Grant!!!

Agree with what you say Canary02

he has won one match and is making the right noises but lets see where we are in Jan or Feb eh? The fact we kept a clean sheet is the biggets plus from the game and he was holding a notepad when talking to Carl Robinson which was refrshing for two reasons: 1) He has tactics and 2) Robbo can read

We were 2nd at the end of August and look what happened, the football season is a long one, he''s started ok and I have no doubt some of our fellow posters will start talking about winning the Championship before you know it......then they''ll be calling for him to be sacked after a couple of bad results....god I love football, but........

Agreed.   A wonderful start, but to be fair his influence on last nights result would not have been huge.  It was nice to hear that he was shouting at players to be positionally aware, something Nigel would watch week after week without doing anything about it.  Nice to hear he was telling Huckerby to get back, something he is guilty of which leaves Drury exposed time and time again.

We must not get carried away.  Listening to canary call last night (are the callers vetted to allow only people who sound like farmers to speak???) people were getting VERY carried away.  Good result, but one game. 

I was delighted to hear Etuhu challenging my opinion of him last night, long may it continue!

Cardiff will be Grants first proper test.

[quote user="Canary02"]

I''m absolutely delighted with last nights result, and chuffed for Peter Grant.

However, I think we need to maintain a little caution. At the end of the day he''s a first time manager, and he will inevitably make mistakes, probably sometime soon. The way some people are talking it''s as though we''ve found the new Mourinho after one result, and if we build him up too much, it''ll be a hell of a falldown when he inevitably makes a mistake and we lose a game.

Last night, he showed some great early signs of what he''s capable of squeezing out of us. But let''s not get too carried away and set ourselves up for feeling gutted if it doesn''t continue immediately. He still has to work with the team that Worthington created in the short term, and we know that there are some weak links in there which will probably let Grant down at some point (especially after the desire to impress the new boss loses it''s initial gloss).

But great start, well done to all, and long may it continue.

[/quote]

PG''s impact won''t be seen tangibly for a while- right now there is not much he can do apart from some confidence building and motivational techniques. So even if we lose against Cardiff I would not be worried. PG has rebuilding to do, he will want to play in his style and using his tactics. He will also have his own view of personnel. Many of those decisions he cannot make after just a few days, so the players will really only be playing for him and their places rather than learning too much about the medium term future. I hope like you that people don''t expect miracles, but I am sure that with the exception of those who seek to undermine at every opportunity, the other 99.9% will be behind him come what may.

As to the opposition''s form, historically NCFC have a very poor record against teams in a bad run. Just look at the Plymouth match a few weeks back- no wins for how long yet they stuffed us?

Saturday should be great fun!

[quote user="Hayden"]

The fact we kept a clean sheet is the biggets plus from the game and he was holding a notepad when talking to Carl Robinson which was refrshing for two reasons: 1) He has tactics and 2) Robbo can read

[/quote]

Let''s not get too carried away with that either. Maybe there were pictures. Wink [;)]

We must not get carried away.  Listening to canary call last night (are the callers vetted to allow only people who sound like farmers to speak???) people were getting VERY carried away.  Good result, but one game.

Good point...but why have a pop at the Norfolk accent JC?  That''s where Norwich is on the map and we should be proud of who we are.......

I''m sure all of us apparent ''negatives'' on here would be happy to be proved wrong.........although I would say ''realists'' is a better description. Lets hope it continues.

I''m not sure I agree that it''s realism Cluckin''. I personally think it''s pretty realistic to say that we''ll be challenging for the top six at the end of the season, and unrealistic that we''ll get relegated.

I do think there are varying degrees of optimism and pessimism on here, but then that''s life.That''s human nature - and it will always dictate our opinions on what we think and feel will happen.

I''m not up for conitnually grouping anyone as anything. I haven''t done it before, and I won''t. I will happily admit to being optimistic at the moment, for my reasons and feelings on the actions taken over the last couple of weeks by the board et al. I know it''s a bubble, but as I''ve said before, it''s just enjoying where we are rather than being naive... I''m hardly booking a party in May.

The fact is this forum moves much quicker than time and football itself. The reaction to last night was always going to be lots of people being happy (not necessarily too carried away though if you read most of the posts since last night) with a balance of some people countering others'' enthusiasm.

If we''d have lost, we''d have a lot of posts questioning Grant''s appointment and the board''s ambition, with a balance from some saying wait and see.

The basic fact is most fans are happy with last night''s result, they''re looking forward to Saturday, they''ve been a city fan long enough not to count their chickens, and they''re quietly hoping that there may be more ups than downs this season...

and back to my bubble i trot once more... [<:o)]

[quote user="blahblahblah"]

[quote user="FilletTheFishWife ."]i think you''ll find Chopra is suspended (c/o the times)[/quote]

You''re right !  Superb news for us.  Cardiffs'' second top scorer is Ricardo Scimecca, on 4.  Isn''t he a defender ?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/c/cardiff_city/club_stats/default.stm

[/quote]

i think the term is ''utility'' player???.

shouldnt he be playin for us then? [;)]

[quote user="FormallyGreenoForEngland"][quote user="blahblahblah"]

[quote user="FilletTheFishWife ."]i think you''ll find Chopra is suspended (c/o the times)[/quote]

You''re right !  Superb news for us.  Cardiffs'' second top scorer is Ricardo Scimecca, on 4.  Isn''t he a defender ?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/c/cardiff_city/club_stats/default.stm

[/quote]

[/quote]We tried, remember, and Megson got there first and took him to West Brom...

[quote user="Evil Monkey"][quote user="FormallyGreenoForEngland"][quote user="blahblahblah"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

We tried, remember, and Megson got there first and took him to West Brom...
[/quote]

yes, yes i do, just.

Cautious YES!!!!! So many false dawns over the last couple of seasons have taught me this......Chopra is out for Saturdays game, however he is not the only cardiff player scoring Thompson will be a big threat as will a couple of other class players they have.....................Question............. how did Cardiff ,who are skint manage to get them, and we end up with Thorney???????????????? I preeedict 1-0 canaries..................but on the side of caution do not be suprised 4-1 Cardiff

I''m not sure I agree that it''s realism Cluckin''. I personally think it''s pretty realistic to say that we''ll be challenging for the top six at the end of the season, and unrealistic that we''ll get relegated......(mbncfc)

I guess it''s life''s lessons that form our outlook. After struggling to bring your kids up and dealing with all of the problems that involves these days....divorces.....redundancies......getting to the age where News programmes suddenly become interesting.....feeling the draught through open doors etc.etc.....we tend to fear the worst in life!

Call it an age thing perhaps?.........[:)]

Just an observation Cluckin.  I am born and bred Norwich,  and very proud of it.  I just feel that we get a raw deal, in terms of perception and regional bias, with the same old, yoo knoo bor es alroight noo granytie is hare brigade on the radio. I do not talk that way so cannot understand why radio norfolk seem to pick these people every time! 

[quote user="JC"]Just an observation Cluckin.  I am born and bred Norwich,  and very proud of it.  I just feel that we get a raw deal, in terms of perception and regional bias, with the same old, yoo knoo bor es alroight noo granytie is hare brigade on the radio. I do not talk that way so cannot understand why radio norfolk seem to pick these people every time! [/quote]

You''re right JC and I don''t have a Norfolk accent either (maybe a slight twang).......but I love hearing it. I guess by being on Radio Norfolk it''s pretty much only us who hear it...apart from Suffolk that is and they certainly don''t have any room to talk! It''s who we are and I wouldn''t want to be anything else.

It just seems that today everything has to be bland and ''normal'' to be acceptable. The Geordie accent is awful....but trendy....and my 18 year old son is doing his best to use ''Ghetto speak'' right now......It''s all about image and I''d like to think that us Norfolk folk are a bit above wishing to be the same as everyone else.

Like you I am fiercely proud of my City and County.....also the people in it. I travel around a fair bit and always big up Norwich.......and when I say I am from Norfolk, just about everyone I speak to says they love it there!

It is special.....AND it''s ours!.............[:D]

[quote user="cluckin"]

I''m not sure I agree that it''s realism Cluckin''. I personally think it''s pretty realistic to say that we''ll be challenging for the top six at the end of the season, and unrealistic that we''ll get relegated......(mbncfc)

I guess it''s life''s lessons that form our outlook. After struggling to bring your kids up and dealing with all of the problems that involves these days....divorces.....redundancies......getting to the age where News programmes suddenly become interesting.....feeling the draught through open doors etc.etc.....we tend to fear the worst in life!

Call it an age thing perhaps?.........[:)]

[/quote]

How dare you... I love news programmes too!! [;)]

I guess it''s perspective too, or context. Everyone has times they see as incredibly hard in their life. It could be age (I''m not young, but I''m not old, so maybe the best/worst is to come?), it could be the outlook the person has? I''m not a psychologist, so i think I should probably stop there...

It is though Cluckin lovely to hear you so passionate about Norfolk and Norwich... (that isn''t meant to sound patronising I promise) [B]

[quote user="cluckin"]

[quote user="JC"]Just an observation Cluckin.  I am born and bred Norwich,  and very proud of it.  I just feel that we get a raw deal, in terms of perception and regional bias, with the same old, yoo knoo bor es alroight noo granytie is hare brigade on the radio. I do not talk that way so cannot understand why radio norfolk seem to pick these people every time! [/quote]

You''re right JC and I don''t have a Norfolk accent either (maybe a slight twang).......but I love hearing it. I guess by being on Radio Norfolk it''s pretty much only us who hear it...apart from Suffolk that is and they certainly don''t have any room to talk! It''s who we are and I wouldn''t want to be anything else.

It just seems that today everything has to be bland and ''normal'' to be acceptable. The Geordie accent is awful....but trendy....and my 18 year old son is doing his best to use ''Ghetto speak'' right now......It''s all about image and I''d like to think that us Norfolk folk are a bit above wishing to be the same as everyone else.

Like you I am fiercely proud of my City and County.....also the people in it. I travel around a fair bit and always big up Norwich.......and when I say I am from Norfolk, just about everyone I speak to says they love it there!

It is special.....AND it''s ours!.............[:D]

[/quote]

Thats a lovely post Cluckin, I too am proud to be from Norwich and like you when I tell people I''m from Norfolk they only have nice things to say about our county.

It is very special and as you say its ours [:)] I feel all emotional now, silly me.

Maybe I''ve exposed why Norwich City Football Club is so important to me.

This is a special city and it is the heart of a great County. When the club is a shambles it gives others outside a chance to throw stones........and I don''t like that.

Nice to know that others here share this passion for their homeland. Strangely I feel like a pigeon when I am forced to leave it.....but I always find my way home.

His next tests should be soughting out the deadwood and applying all that he has learnt off Pardew to Norwich. If he''s 10% as good as Pards in the transfer market, you''ll have a better team nrxt year