Sign in to follow this  
Paul Argent

James Hayter - Grants first man in?

Seems to be rumors flying around about

James Hayter

http://www.footballtransferleague.co.uk/football_club.aspx?football_club=Norwich

New Norwich manager Peter Grant has admitted he is a fan of Bournemouth striker James Hayter.

http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=423121&CPID=10&clid=91&lid=4&title=Grant+keen+on+Hayter

Could be a good player to bring in - Still think the defence needs sorting first

Anybody have any further info?

[:)]

Grant obviously knows more than the stats suggest, 27 years old, 5 goals this season, not a particularly big guy. He doesn''t really stand out from these facts as someone that will give us anything different up front.

I agree, the defence is a priority and it would good to get a defender who has a creative, attacking capability that can get the team started playing fast passing movements on the ground instead of the hoofs beyong Huckerby, Croft and Earnie that have them running all over the place using up valuable energy.

his record is good.. at only 27 still he has scored nearly 100 goals in hsi career... whilst not the biggest i think he could come in and do very well..

can play as an out and out striker as well as a support man. He''d get goals for us and cause Havoc!

Sign him up!

jas :)

Is Hayter an out and out stiker. The reports suggesting we are interested say he is a striker but I looked up a profile which said he is a midfielder.

As a striker he is too small given that the other strikers at the club are also short. Its a big disadvantage at set pieces both attacking and defending.

[quote user="Alan"]

Is Hayter an out and out stiker. The reports suggesting we are interested say he is a striker but I looked up a profile which said he is a midfielder.

As a striker he is too small given that the other strikers at the club are also short. Its a big disadvantage at set pieces both attacking and defending.

[/quote]

I''m sure he''s a striker, I remember him coming on as sub about 4 years ago & scoring 4 goals in the last 6 or 7 minutes. I''ve watched his name ever since & he is a proven goal scorer but would he fit in alongside Earnie (Fleckie & Malcolm Allen were OK, I recall)? I''m not sure, like others on this thread &, as I''ve posted elsewhere, I''d want to be sure we''ve got the defence right first 

I wouldn''t read too much into this - some hack has asked him a question about Hayter, Grants'' worked with him at Bournemouth, he''s hardly going to put the player down, but paying cold hard cash is another matter.

As I said on another thread, I''ve seen quite alot of Hayter at Bournemouth. Nothing very special as a player and a bit of a headless chicken. I know he is unhappy that a bigger club hasn''t snapped him up yet.....so who knows. He does seem to have an eye for goal though as his statistics show.

Hayter is a proven player but if we are going to strengthen our attack, and as grant as said we have money i would like us to set our sights a little higher and someone with potential.

The two i would love are Freddy Eastwood or Billy Sharp. Eastwood would be more expensive but probably still affordable, and with southend struggling its likely he will leave. Sharp wouldnt break the bank and he is only 19, been scoring constantly now for 18 months. Sign him up.

Can you imagine the reaction if Mr Worthington had mentioned a 27 year old Bournemouth player as a potential target????? I can just see the threads now! Oh, the luxury of being a new manager...

Appreciate what you''re saying Mook but Grant has obviously worked with Hayter before and obviously rates him as a player. Whether he rates him enough to bring him here is yet to be seen.

Worthington had the same situation with Jason Jarrett, a player that had previously played under him at Blackpool and rated enough to bring him here. Yet he didn''t give him the time of day when he was here and ended up making himself look the fool (& Jarrett unfortunately - to Plymouth and Preston''s advantage), which resulted in the vast majority of fans questioning his targets, in particular those from the lower leagues...

It''s one thing ''rating'' a player in public and another to actually buy that player. I think we should wait before commenting on Grant''s judgement of player by the players he buys and not those he choses praise in public. 

[quote user="Mook"]Can you imagine the reaction if Mr Worthington had mentioned a 27 year old Bournemouth player as a potential target????? I can just see the threads now! Oh, the luxury of being a new manager...[/quote]

Mook, I may be missing something, but are you saying that at the age of 27 you can''t possibly be good enough to play in a higher division? If that is what you''re saying then I disagree with that opinion. As for whether James Hayter, specifically, is good enough I readily acknowledge that I have no idea as I''ve never seen him play.

[quote user="Yellow Shrimper"]

[quote user="Mook"]Can you imagine the reaction if Mr Worthington had mentioned a 27 year old Bournemouth player as a potential target????? I can just see the threads now! Oh, the luxury of being a new manager...[/quote]

Mook, I may be missing something, but are you saying that at the age of 27 you can''t possibly be good enough to play in a higher division? If that is what you''re saying then I disagree with that opinion. As for whether James Hayter, specifically, is good enough I readily acknowledge that I have no idea as I''ve never seen him play.

[/quote]

No Shrimp, I''m not saying that. I''m saying that every single target that Worthington mentioned was either "too old" "too young" "unproven" "over-rated" "a donkey" etc etc etc. If he had mentioned James Hayter, this message board would be filled with posts from all those with personal vendettas against Nigel (and there are plenty of them), howling with derision that we''re "only" looking at a Bournemouth player who''s 27 already and never played at a high level.

But now Grant has said it, people are like: "Ooh, yes, he could be a good signing, perhaps has the .... errr... element of .... er ... surprise, or something".

I just think it''s amazing how people treat two different people with different rules. At least be consistent in your hatred and derision!

As for the player, I''ve never seen him play but I''m all for unproven talent, you can unearth some real gems.

Hayter has had a difficult year - normally played as an out and out striker the old boss at Bournemouth had been playing him n a variety of postions - een right back.  kevin Bond has come in and he suold move forwad.  Excellnent finnisher.

However has previously stated he doe not fancy a move more than two hours away due to his yung kid.  Feel it would have to be an exceptional package to tempt him away.

Bournemouth really need the money though.....

We''re thinking too Worthy-esque! Remember, just because he''s short, fast and a good finisher doesn''t mean we won''t be interested as Peter Grant may want two strikers of such a nature.