Sign in to follow this  
Hayden

Gobsmacked!!!!

I am the only one who cannot believe that NCFC have let Huckerby''s contract get this close to running out? Granty has come in and said he is staying and luckily, and I mean LUCKILY, Hucks loves Norfolk and I genuinely believe he will stay if he is offered a new deal. But what the hell are we playing at letting it run down so close??? Haven''t we learnt anything from good players leaving this club on frees or next to nothing??

I''m afraid Nigel Worthington liked to play God when it came to contract renewals. We have lost several decent players because he was stubborn and wanted to have the upper hand. I think he must have been Taurus. Edworthy was one example. It appears PG is not like this, thank god, and any half decent player is more likely to stay now.

I had the same thoughts myself, Hayden. One thing that slightly surprised me though, given that Hucks has said more than once that he''d like to see out his playing days here at NCFC, is that he hinted in the press this week that he would have to see what sort of money was on offer before signing a new contract. Reading between the lines (but not probing to deeply), I wondered whether this interest from his old mate Strachan at Celtic had tempted him, even if only ever so slightly.

[quote user="Billy Bovine"]I had the same thoughts myself, Hayden. One thing that slightly surprised me though, given that Hucks has said more than once that he''d like to see out his playing days here at NCFC, is that he hinted in the press this week that he would have to see what sort of money was on offer before signing a new contract. Reading between the lines (but not probing to deeply), I wondered whether this interest from his old mate Strachan at Celtic had tempted him, even if only ever so slightly.[/quote]

Kindly dispense  with the thought that Strachan  is  an " Old mate "  of Hucks !   as for  the hint , well , Hucks has his family and future to take care of ,  so he would be interested  in the finances !   but   I just can`t see the board   doing the dirty on him ......

I just hope our ''prudence with ambition'' approach doesnt come to haunt us here. I just hope that norwich are prepared to oofer him decent wages. There seems to be some very tight purse strings atr times, considering we have only around 19 senior players plus a handlke full of youngsters. Although, some of our best players will be some of the best paid in the division, our small squad IMO should not have such a huge wage bill compared to some and there should be no problem in offering hucks a decent contract. i just hope, we dont go on a cost cutting excersize!

[quote user="Billy Bovine"]I had the same thoughts myself, Hayden. One thing that slightly surprised me though, given that Hucks has said more than once that he''d like to see out his playing days here at NCFC, is that he hinted in the press this week that he would have to see what sort of money was on offer before signing a new contract. Reading between the lines (but not probing to deeply), I wondered whether this interest from his old mate Strachan at Celtic had tempted him, even if only ever so slightly.[/quote]

Kindly dispense  with the thought that Strachan  is  an " Old mate "  of Hucks !   as for  the hint , well , Hucks has his family and future to take care of ,  so he would be interested  in the finances !   but   I just can`t see the board   doing the dirty on him ......

If Grant wants him and Huckerby wants to stay I''m sure there will be compromise.

I''m a bit concerned though that we need to widen the debate. Huckerby has virtually kept this weak squad afloat over time and that is dangerous. Grant would do well to see Hucks as a valuable asset rather than a pivotal one and look to build a squad able to compete without him.

I am uneasy when we all lose our confidence because one player (Hucks) is unavailable for selection.

I think he will stay don''t get me wrong, but why don''t we ever hear about a player signing a new contract before any question marks or publicity comes up about how long they have left. We seem to encourage contract rangles and players having their heads tunred when news of players like Hucks standard are out of contract. Why not (just once or twice) react before it becomes news?

I agree Hayden, Worthy seemed to have a thing about letting contracts run close to expiry, just look back over the last 5 years. Luckily, Ive heard that Huck''s wife has refused to move away from Norwich and us women always have the final say so guess he won''t be going anywhere.

The boards whole approach in the last 2 years seems to be "leave everything to the last minute and hope for the best". Every transfer window we seem to be scrabbling around for last minute bargains after everyone else has completed the real business. Doncaster was praised by some for his honesty in the Mckenzie/Cotteril affair, but in my opinion it was just an honest admission of complacency and ineptitude. Its the board who set the wage budget so if they are planning even further cuts (absolutely ridiculous, but probably true) then there is absolutely nothing the manager can do about it. So the board are probably waiting to see where we finish (or if we make some money in the cups) before deciding if they can afford to dish out new contracts. By which time Hucks may well have thought "sod this" and signed a pre-contract agreement with Celtic. I sincerely hope to be proved wrong but given the events of the last 2 years i have little confidence that i will be.

Would I be right in thinking that any new contract signed would be effective immediately? In other words, if a player signs a renewed contract on higher wages they have to start paying those higher wages from that day forth? Seeing as Hucks has stated his desire to stay on many occasions, the Board possibly felt his signature was in little doubt and that it would make sense not to have to start paying out that extra money until next year.

Or am I just talking out of the wrong orifice? Confused [*-)]

humm, sound business sense there.....save a few grand and hope we don''t lose our best player meaning we would have to pay out more inthe long run for a replacement. Shake of head moment

Hucks will give up the game at the end of the season...

He is losing his pace.. and a slow Darren Huckerby wopnt get anywhere near the first team.. lets face it without his pace what other attribute has he got? he cant tackle, His finishing isnt always great, he cant head, he cant pass well over distance, he cant take set pieces.. without his pace Darren Huckerby isnt much of a footballer...

still worth a new contract? or will he become another flemmo? kept on just for Nostalgia and because he is a "legend"?

jas :)

Do you think it is just Hucks trying to get the best deal possible for his family now he knows he has the new manager''s backing?

I don''t think he will be going anywhere.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

He is losing his pace.. and a slow Darren Huckerby wopnt get anywhere near the first team.. lets face it without his pace what other attribute has he got? he cant tackle, His finishing isnt always great, he cant head, he cant pass well over distance, he cant take set pieces.. without his pace Darren Huckerby isnt much of a footballer...

still worth a new contract? or will he become another flemmo? kept on just for Nostalgia and because he is a "legend"?

[/quote]

dribble dribble dribble   ..........  aww,  did your team lose badly again  ?

How about LOYALTY, PASSION, and a WINNING ATTITUDE for starters. Then there''s his HIGH FITNESS LEVEL, WILLINGNESS TO RUN HIS SOCKS OFF and DETERMINATION.

I''d say that makes him well worth keeping hold of.

Jas, you''re talking nonsense old boy.

If he is that influential this season, do you think he''s going to suddenly shrivel up and rot because he''s six months / 1 year older? How old are you, if I dare ask?

Giggs, Figo, Pires are all examples of pacey wingers who have carried on into their thirties as great players.

And Huck''s "other" traits? What are you talking about?! If Hucks is our best player, and (probably) the best player in the division in his position, who cares about his other traits!! He''s awesome.

The whole Celtic link was probably linked by Hux''s agent in order to get city off their back sides and offer him a new contract.  The board would essentially make thier own positions untennable if they let Hux go as the fans simply wouldn''t stand for it.  But like Jas said Hux is now starting to lose his pace and without pace he doesn''t have much of a game.  The contract should be no longer than 2 years.

ok, name one other Trait Hucks has got other than pace?

=============================================

Do you have poor eyesight ?   I haven`t noticed any lack of pace   in Hucks  . is this just wishful thinking on your part ?  it isn`t the first time you`ve had a go at Hucks ,  which would be fair enough if your comments made some sense !

Do you really think  Hucks can twist his way around two or three opponents simply through pace ?  one of the  " Traits "  you appear to ignore , is the skill  required  to guide the ball as he`s running  , and the speed of thought  required to do this  with a degree of success !    most of the other " traits "  seem to have been covered by other posters  ...........  

Also he`s not doing too badly   in the goal department  , especially as he`s STILL a left winger !   AND   he`s supplied the crosses  thats got us  most of  the other goals !!     I really do think you could transfer your supercritical   attention   to  the fact that Earnie misses  the net far more than he hits it !  plenty of other , more worthy cases, for you to concentrate on[:|]

I doubt if it''s any coincidence that our form went down the pan as soon as Hucks got injured, then picked up again as soon as he was fit and firing. 

I heard he limped off today.  Eeek! 

jas the barclay king wrote:

Huckerby losing pace???? Are you losing the plot???? Are you an Ipswich fan?????

Hucks could help himself by adjusting his game and under Grant I think he might. He will need to work on stamina and not sprints as he is going to have to be a team player. In turn this will extend his career.

He is more than capable of producing the match-winning moment but it shouldn''t just be down to him.

[quote user="Rudolph Hucker"]Hucks could help himself by adjusting his game and under Grant I think he might. He will need to work on stamina and not sprints as he is going to have to be a team player. In turn this will extend his career. He is more than capable of producing the match-winning moment but it shouldn''t just be down to him.[/quote]

Your not making a lot of sense Hucker !   stamina ?  not sprints ?   a team player ?     the only thing I agree with, in your remarks ,  is that it shouldn`t just be down to him !   I`m pretty sure that Hucks  would agree to that !    like its been Hobsons choice  ......   [:P]

I am going to say something which may be controversial.

I think DH is one of the best players ever to pull on a canaries shirt yet.........

It may be time to let him go.

DH is not getting younger, we know he cant head the ball and his dead ball taking is very poor.

Defensively he is not great.

On the plus side he makes defences s--- their pants when he is running with the ball and is a matchwinner on his day.

The thing is once his pace is gone he is finished. he admits that.

Part of me would hate to see DH struggling after being a ledgend here. Its like watching a great boxer past his prime

Do we want to build a more solid 4-4-2 type team going forward with a big target man alongside Earnie.

Can we play both Croft and Hucks in such a team while still being difficult to beat?

Bottom line is that I''m sure the club want to keep him but won''t be able to offer him the same kind of money if we remain in this division next season, it''ll be up to hucks wanting to take a big cut

Don''t worry Sheded, it will become obvious to you when Grant moulds us into a more cohesive and solid unit. Note yesterday, early goal and no mad rush forward ending up in Cardiff equalising and even then our patience should have seen us 3-0 up at half time.

Are you saying Hucks is too stupid to learn?

who are these idiots saying we should let Huckerby go!!!  Do you guys actually go to games??  He is still probably our best player! how do you know when he will lose his pace?  Even then he is a top player and has other attributes of great value to the side...  Even this season he has destroyed opposition sides.  At this level Darren Huckerby is a top player - just because Nigel Worthington failed to utilise Huckerby''s abilities properly last season means nothing.

What about Figo (34 and playing for inter)  Giggs (still playing for man utd)  Barnes (played on for years).  Andy Cole and Dwight Yorke are still playing this season at high levels.

Huckerby is an NCFC legend, and hopefully will play on for us for a couple more season''s at least.  If we can recreate the feel good factor around Norwich I am sure he will play-on.

[quote user="Rudolph Hucker"]Don''t worry Sheded, it will become obvious to you when Grant moulds us into a more cohesive and solid unit. Note yesterday, early goal and no mad rush forward ending up in Cardiff equalising and even then our patience should have seen us 3-0 up at half time. Are you saying Hucks is too stupid to learn?[/quote]

A, " cohesive and solid unit ,"  Hucker ?    that`ll be the day ! ...........  that`ll be the day when Hucks will have a field day !    just seems to stick in some people throats  that their team  is being  held together  by one man !

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Are you saying Hucks is too stupid to learn

Hucker

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No , YOU said that !!  

Huckerby is a blessing and a curse, hence his number of Clubs. He gives you so much going forwards but leaves the left side vulnerable to counter attack. Rest assured Grant will have a team which keeps it''s shape and where each player has a team role. If Hucks can adjust to this he will not only help the team but use his powers more sparingly but to greater effect. Stamina increases as you get older while pace decreases, it would be a natural course for Huckerby to take. In any event I believe he still has two more years of top pace in him.