Sign in to follow this  
First Wizard

Fair do to Megson.

Have you noticed that Sir Nigel Worthington (only a matter of time) and Gary Megson, appear to be the only two manager''s in division 1, who do''nt slag off other teams.

Both City and GBH, sorry WBA, are 1st and 2nd!.

Both managers get on quietly, well in Smeggy''s case loudly, with the job. Whilst Warnock, Pardew, Potato Head and Moore spend all their time ranting, talking a good game and slagging each other, and us in particular, off.

Coincidence, I think not. Neither Worthy or Megson shout the odds, but let their teams do the talking for them where it matters, on the pitch.

Well said Wiz. I''m a massive fan of what Nige has done, in very difficult circumstances. Lets cast our minds back to when he was appointed. Hamilton had gone. Left the club in dire state, with a lot of dead wood, wrong end of division 1 and not much hope or belief. Then the board appoint Nige. Hands up who wanted Worthy to get the job? I certianly didn''t. He''s come in, against the fans wishes and turned this club around. He''s brought in some superb players. Drury, Holt, Huckerby to name just 3. Players such as McVeigh and Fleming are playing better football under Worthy. Not to mention all the rubbish he''s got rid of (Cottee, Walsh, De Waard, McGovern- I could go on!) Also, he has the full backing of the board. I mean come on, we''ve never been rich. So for a manger to go to the board in today''s economic climate and say "Please can we have a million pounds and a lot of wages? Please please please?" I wasn''t in the meeting but I think it went something along those lines!

In conclusion, Worthy is a superb manager. He had his critics in the beginning but I think it''s fair to say he''s won them over. Well done Sir Nige!

This certainly seemed to be the case yesterday, Wiz. Both Worthy (in the studio) and GM were basically saying that they wanted to get enough points asap to make it impossible for others to take the automatic places, and then worry about the title. No mention about pressure on others, how they will buckle and bottle it, etc. This is, as you suggest, quite refreshing. The only thing I personally wouldn''t respond to if under GM''s management is his constant shouting from pitchside, but that''s just me. I respond better to constructive criticism and reasoned argument, but not being publically screamed at. Still, horses for courses I suppose.

Different people hane different needs regarding management. Megson just seems to bawl at his players constantly from the touchline. Personally it would drive me round the bend. As I suspect Huckerby feels, when West Brom tried to sign him he said he didn''t like Megsons management style.

In this post we have forgotten another manager who is doing a good job and doesn´t slag off the opposition - Mike McCarthy. Hope Sunderland go up via the playoffs!

although west brom are doing well ( even i have to admit that, though having to watch them every week would seem like a prison sentence) i cannot admire GM''s management style, seems he hasn''t changed since his brief (thankfully) spell in charge here

he constantly bawls at the players, has no respect for them or what they are doing on the pitch, and in consequence, they are a typical no nonsense (dirty) division one outfit

i sincerely hope justice is done and we win the league, most of all, just to rub his nose in it and shut him up!!

darren huckerby is a FINE judge of character !!!