Sign in to follow this  
nutty nigel

What's changed?

They are the same players, basically playing the same formation, but they are a different team.

Maybe the comfort zone has disappeared, the players now have to take responsibility when they step over the white line. It was all too easy before, a poor performance and the manager took the blame. For every poor pass more people wanted Worthy out.  Players could hide and many did.

Now there''s nowhere to hide. There will be changes to a winning team as we have already seen. Nobody''s place in the team is safe anymore because the team comes first with Peter Grant. He will do what''s right for the team, his loyalty is to the team, not to individuals, and he expects the same team ethic from the players.  Six points on the board already and two clean sheets. The standard of performance is being set. Of course every game won''t bring three points and a clean sheet but I would think the players know what to expect if performance levels drop. ''No shows'' will be a thing of the past.

Worthy has left behind a good group of players for the new manager to work with but they are no longer Nigel Worthingtons players, they are Peter Grants team.

The manager

He showed a good bit of tactical nouse shoring up the back line properly when bringing Dion onto the pitch and pushing The doc to just in front of the backline, also he was not afraid to substitute a tiring Huckerby. These small decisions can make a difference in a tight game.  As you say favorites are no longer guaranteed a place in the side, and others will feel they have a chance to make the team if they play well when the opportunity arises.  Everybody feels they have an opportunity, and those in the comfort zone arent anymore.

He has made strong decisions, such as replacing Gallacher.  When there are discussions on the message boards as to whether a goalie is any good or not, more so than any other position this indicates a problem.  Ashdown looks an imposing figure and from what we have heard from Previous clubs Ashdown could be a top class goalie.

I think some players were hiding behind Worthingtons unpopularity and using it as a reason not to perform well.

I still hold my earlier worries about Grant based on what I saw of him at Bournemouth......but he does seem much more astute than I expected and very motivated.

The second half was pretty dire......but we won and that makes two big scalps in successive games. You can''t ask more than that.

Ashdown is a tasty prospect and I think what we saw yesterday was a player lacking in confidence. He can play alot better. Gallacher has done great things with modest talent....and I praise him for that.

I agree on the point about bringing Dublin on, but initially it caused much confusion, and we were lucky Cardiff were not attacking at the time.  A good idea, but why did he not keep the back four the same, and put Dublin in front of them?

I think yesterday showed that the players, whatever they said in public, did not rate Nigel Worthington and had lost faith.  The workrate, commitment, confidence and passing was so far above what we have seen, that is was impossible to recognise some of the players! 

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]

The manager

He showed a good bit of tactical nouse shoring up the back line properly when bringing Dion onto the pitch and pushing The doc to just in front of the backline, also he was not afraid to substitute a tiring Huckerby. These small decisions can make a difference in a tight game.  As you say favorites are no longer guaranteed a place in the side, and others will feel they have a chance to make the team if they play well when the opportunity arises.  Everybody feels they have an opportunity, and those in the comfort zone arent anymore.

He has made strong decisions, such as replacing Gallacher.  When there are discussions on the message boards as to whether a goalie is any good or not, more so than any other position this indicates a problem.  Ashdown looks an imposing figure and from what we have heard from Previous clubs Ashdown could be a top class goalie.

[/quote]

The formation worked differently too. At times it looked like a 4-1-4-1 formation. With Safri sitting in front of the back four  as play maker, and Etuhu and Robinson pushing much further forward in parrallel to Hucks and Croft. The wide players in turn were often tucking in, adding numbers to central midfield. But when Hucks and Croft were attacking, more often they were making diagonal runs towards the centre supporting Earnshaw in central areas rather than just hanging out wide all the time. This created extra space for the full backs to push on down the flanks.So while it looked like the same formation, it functioned quite differently to how we have seen before.

The formation worked differently because we attacked as a team and defended as a team. I get the distinct impression that the players who don''t fully buy into this ''team ethic'' will find themselves out of the team. Whoever they are.

No "me" in team, Rudolph? Actually there is. Remove the T and the A, and rearrange the order of the M and the E and what are you left with? That''s right - ME. I should think the correct expression is  - "There''s no I in team". Sorry to be pedantic.

[quote user="Billy Bovine"]No "me" in team, Rudolph? Actually there is. Remove the T and the A, and rearrange the order of the M and the E and what are you left with? That''s right - ME. I should think the correct expression is  - "There''s no I in team". Sorry to be pedantic.[/quote]

Not as David Brent would say!?!?!? (Try and keep up) [sn]

To continue the pedantic theme: "There''s no I in team, but there''s a me if you look hard enough..."

Rudolph probably knew all this when he posted though, just for a response the sly dog... [;)]

[quote user="Billy Bovine"]No "me" in team, Rudolph? Actually there is. Remove the T and the A, and rearrange the order of the M and the E and what are you left with? That''s right - ME. I should think the correct expression is  - "There''s no I in team". Sorry to be pedantic.[/quote]

My favourite ever response to this came at work when a cheesy manager actually said to our team "there''s no "I" in "Team"", and a bloke who was leaving that week anyway replied "But there is a "U" in "****""

Classic.

Nothing???

Maybe that was the answer that you were looking for Nutty???

All you lot getting carried away... we are still deep in trouble.... and as with Grant, Roeder will change nothing while he is working under the current boardroom set up...

The same goes for any othe manager the clowns in the boardroom wish to appoint.

Let off the hook again I see???  [:$]

[quote user="Smudger"]

Nothing???

Maybe that was the answer that you were looking for Nutty???

All you lot getting carried away... we are still deep in trouble.... and as with Grant, Roeder will change nothing while he is working under the current boardroom set up...

The same goes for any othe manager the clowns in the boardroom wish to appoint.

Let off the hook again I see???  [:$]

[/quote]

Everything has changed except you. WHEN ARE WE MEETING or I will  sing that old song from Village People YMCA. 

Lets all dig up all posts and divert the attention away from the successful protest that took place tonight! What a willy!

Just bite your lip till Jan transfer window then if they dont back, you may get more support. Its about spotting an opportunity Smudger, and not swimming upstream alone.

[quote user="can u sit down please"]

Lets all dig up all posts and divert the attention away from the successful protest that took place tonight! What a willy!

Just bite your lip till Jan transfer window then if they dont back, you may get more support. Its about spotting an opportunity Smudger, and not swimming upstream alone.

[/quote]

So you seriously want to tell me that there will be a protest in January/Feb?

How much do you expect to be spent to prevent this?

I am sure that a measley £1million spent on about 4 crap players will kepp most of you happy won''t it???

Nothing will happen as last year... only this year we are in far deper trouble!!!

Lets face it smudger you can argue all you like about the boards failings but the fundamentals here are simple. You go looking for things to fail. With that outlook there will always be an ''opportunity'' to present a case for the hangman but for most people, for most fans, supporting through thick and thin is what counts. is part of the football fans psyche.

I truly hope we pull through this mess we are in, as i am sure 99% of the contributors to this board do.

You, i suspect, will always look for any way to profligate your negativity. I fail to see any contribution from you on this board befitting the term ''supporter'', i guess you could dredge something up from 1986 but hey we are all open to lapses aren''t we??

OTBC