I''ve seen us linked with Dave Penney and I''m thinking this could be an interesting shout: he''s young, up-and-coming and with an interesting track record: successive promotions (albeit in the divisions below us), and managed to get a League 1 team to beat 2 prem teams in the cup (the kind of attitude within the players that we have been lacking, perhaps?). And he''s currently not working... so perhaps an interesting prospect?

A short wiki this one :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Penney

David Penney

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search

David (Dave) Penney (born Wakefield, 17 August 1964) is an English football manager, who is currently unemployed after leaving Football League side Doncaster Rovers.

In recent years, he guided the club back into the Football League through promotion from the Conference and in 2003, helped the club to the Football League Third Division championship and into the Football League One.

Most recently, he managed the side to famous victories over Premiership sides Manchester City and Aston Villa and nearly overcame the mighty Arsenal in the Carling Cup quarter finals before finally being beaten in a penalty shootout.

He has also had spells as a player with Derby County, Oxford United, Swansea City and Cardiff City before coming to Doncaster in 1998.

Penney left Rovers on 30 August 2006 as he felt he had taken the club as far as he could.

I find that last statement a bit odd.  I guess he might have something lined up ?  Why else would you leave ?  Blokes got to eat, hasn''t he ?

I really like this idea. More so than Bowen, because he''s got a record as a manager rather than just an assistant.