Sign in to follow this  
komakino

Captain Sensible?

With a new manager probably coming from outside the club, I think there is a fair chance that Adam Drury will be dropped as Captain.

I was amazed he got the chance again to be honest, even though there were not many obvious candidates, as I feel he is just too lightweight as a spokesperson, motivator and a footballer.

I''d give it Huckerby. I can''t see anyone playing this season who deserves it more. Any thoughts...?

of the current squad we have:gallacher - no - goalies do not make good captains - cannot talk to strikers very often.doc - poss - but banned for next 3 gamesflem - poss - but would rather he didn''t playshacks - no - too young colin - no - too young drury - no - too quietluis-jean - no - not played enoughetuhu - no - too young safri - poss - but needs to concentarte on own playrobinson - no - too quiethughes - poss - but would rather he didn''t playhuckerby - poss - provided it doen''t compromise his playcroft - no - too young mcveigh - poss - but would rather he didn''t play over huckerby/croftearnshaw - no - too self involveddublin - poss - experience would be useful,  has captained before.thorne - poss - but would rather he didn''t playryan jarvis - no - too young/not played enoughWhile I''m at it I would like to see the team as:                    GallacherColin - Dublin(c) - Shackell - Spillane/Rossi JarvisCroft -   Etuhu    -     Safri   - Huckerby          Earnshaw - Ryan Jarvis

Lets make Hucks captain, he''s loyal, is passionate and is a motivator.

But on a bad day he is spoilt, a whinger and doesn''t get involved. I think he is a legend, and certainly our best player, but captain material? I don''t agree.

the other thing about hux is he has a tendency to talk himself into the

book - maybe we shouldn''t ask him to talk to the ref more often than he

already does.

yea huckerby was awesome on sunday and proved for the first time hes captain material - played thru injury for the manager and the team and was still one of the only ones tracking back, hes been here longer than most in the first team and carrys the team already. altho i do like drury anyway so i wudnt hav any quarms with him staying but a new start wud b nice.

like the team 7rew. dublin cant be much slower than the doc and shacks has got the pace to cover altho i dnt c  drury wud be dropped. rossi or spillane deserve a run out more often tho.

I agree that Dublin would be an excellent choice, he did ok on Sunday & if he covers for Doherty during his suspension would be in an ideal position to see what''s going on.  We need an experienced hand at the moment & he''s seen & done it all.

[quote user="Mook"]But on a bad day he is spoilt, a whinger and doesn''t get involved. I think he is a legend, and certainly our best player, but captain material? I don''t agree.[/quote]

So was Beckham, it took the reponsibility of Captaincy to resolve those traits, I think the same could very well apply to Hux. I don''t think there''s anyone in the team deserves the honour more or would use it more beneficially than DH. I''d certainly take the risk that he would step up to the reponsibility, motivate the team and lead by example.

I think these posts say it all - there is no one at the club of the

calibre to make a good captain and this goes a long way to explaining

the poor motivation on the pitch and the collapses in many games,

especially away from home.

Hopefully the new boss will bring in an inspirational leader much in the way Keane has done with Kavanagh at Sunderland.

It has to be Hucks. What a legend, and have Earnie as vice captain. They are our two best players who showed the appropriate qualities on Sunday The Doc and Drury should have never been given the captaincy role as they do not inspire. They are not leaders, as our shabby goals against column will currently show. When the chips are down Drury and The Doc go missing.

Sadly not one of them has the potential for me......Every team should have an experienced ''old hand'' in there....and Malky would have been perfect had he been kept.

Over the years we have had some great skippers.......none better than Duncan Forbes, but the likes of him are museum pieces now.

It''s not a good state to be in is it?

[quote user="7rew"]of the current squad we have:

gallacher - no - goalies do not make good captains - cannot talk to strikers very often.

[/quote]

Gunny in our European Campagin,

Peter Schmeichel in Utds European cup win,

Shilts for England on occasion.

Keepers make the BEST captians, they are always using their voices to command.

jas :)

Why not Shax? I always felt he was 1 game from being dropped under Nigel, and I think he''s a certain starter. We''ve seen the impact being given the captaincy can have on players, and he is always vocal. Would be a vote of confidence that he needs.

The captain of any team should be an experienced first team regular, so for me it can only really be one from the following three: Safri, Doherty or Huckerby. Therefore, in order of (my) preference, it should be: Huckerby, if not then Safri, failing that then Doherty.  

Only my tuppence worth though...

I cant see the reason of them being too young a valid enough reason. Gerrard became Captain young, Reo-Coker became captian when he was 18. The idea that Shackell or Etuhu cant be captain just because of there age. I believe both would be fantastic captains. I believe the title of captian would bring them both out of there shells. Shackell has the great potential of becoming a commander but won''t untill he is given the lead to. Also isnt Etuhu mid 20s? do you have to be past it to be captain. Also you cannot give huckerby the captaincy. this is foolish. A winger cannot see the game when it is being played. I feel I feel the new boys need to be given the main roles. The old players have had their time (Im not saying huckerby isnt our best player, just not a leader)

As things stand, Doc or Hucks (with the best will in the world, Dion isn''t going to be on the pitch long enough to be an option)For the future, Shackell or Etuhu.

[quote user="Anderz"]

The captain of any team should be an experienced first team regular, so for me it can only really be one from the following three: Safri, Doherty or Huckerby. Therefore, in order of (my) preference, it should be: Huckerby, if not then Safri, failing that then Doherty.  

[/quote]

Agree completely, Anderz

Just a thought how many captains have we had under worthington ? i k now drury  has been appointed  captain twice for some reason or other which i fail to see , but how many have we had in 6 yrs ?

[quote user="TheMarshmallowMan"][quote user="Anderz"]

[/quote]

Agree completely, Anderz

[/quote]

Why thank you my good fellow...