Sign in to follow this  
First Wizard

Why I want Joe Royle as manager?.

For starters, he was ex Norwich, long before he was ex Ippo, and he believes in the same kind of football as I do ie. the passing game.

You cannot deny that he did a good job down the road on a very tight budget, on tactics he''s very crafty and had he had our players to work with, who knows what would have happened?.

He also believes in playing youth and advocates the kind of football we should be playing.

So, forget your hang ups, forget he was THEIR manager and think of the irony if he succeeded here after being let down at Poorman Road.

Joe Royle.................come on down!.

I also think he would make a good appointment - first hand knowledge and experience crafted from years in the game with teams at just our level.  I remember him saying of his first job at Oldham, it ages ago, but it was something like - " My job is to get 2nd division players to believe that they are good enough to play in Division 1".  And that''s just what we need.

Yes........but imagine if it all goes tits-up?  I can''t be doing with any more of this hostility stuff for the forseeable future........I think Royle is old school now and that the Ipswich link will always be ammunition for the radicals.

I reckon Dario Gradi might be a surprise announcement.  He''s done his time at Crewe and might just be looking for a change............

[quote user="1st Wizard"]

Joe Royle.................come on down!.

[/quote]

If he comes down, we go down imo.

Can no one give a sensible ''against'' arguement as to why he shouldn''t be our next manager?. Unike Bowen (who I wouldnt object to by the way) Joe has a wealth of experience.

I think he''s be really good for us, and would certainly not be unhappy if he''s the name announced to take over.

I''ll try to do this as best I can as a ''sensible'' argument.

(I can''t believe I''m saying this) In the year we won the league he argubly had more talented players particularly up front (Bent, who has scored regularly in the Prem for Charlton, Kuqi who rightly or wrongly moved for £2.5m a month or so ago) I think scored 50 or so goals a season and yet he could not get them promoted.  Their defence was a shambles as proved by the 3-1 at our place (Wilnis -please, and I forget what that other lump was called who got sent off also I think I remember they beat Crewe 6-4 memory may be a bit distant on that one but I think it was them.  

Whilst he did a job with their kids in the first team towards the end of his time, I felt he had nothing to lose.  "We''ve got an inexperienced team so we''ll try and all this" so very little pressure whereas there is a lot of expectation around our team at the moment.  Could he shake things up? Yes.  Would he give the kids a chance? going on past history, Yes.  Is he is the man for us? In my opinion, No.

Oh and by the way with the stick that some of the board have been getting from some supporters, there''s more chance of pigs flying than them appointing Royle anyway.  Bring back Bowen/Crook

I think he''d be a good appointment, so I agree with you Wiz. My Everton mate rates him very highly from his time at Goodison as well. Yes he managed Ipswich but everyone makes mistakes......

Come come Wizard......we''ve all be told that he has a fatal dose of binner rays as well as a potato head........

Jeeeeeeeeeez......what more do you need to hear?

That Ipswich link would be the death of him.......ability or not.

[quote user="just-cluckin"]

[/quote]

Then that tribal attitude would make us the losers Just Cluckin. I for one won''t hold silly grudges agaist someone for their old employers.

And people call me a fool!.

[quote user="1st Wizard"]

Can no one give a sensible ''against'' arguement as to why he shouldn''t be our next manager?. Unike Bowen (who I wouldnt object to by the way) Joe has a wealth of experience.

[/quote] I wouldn''t disagree with Royle being appointed but would prefer a younger manager with more drive and modern techniques in the mould of Martin Allen or Aidy Boothroyd!

[quote user="1st Wizard"][quote user="just-cluckin"]

[/quote]

I for one won''t hold silly grudges agaist someone for their old employers.

[/quote] Have you never booed a former Ipswich player at Carrow Road then Wiz?? ;-)

I was surprised John McGreal didn''t get more abuse on Sunday! Perhaps people had forgotten his days with the Binners!?

I am against "Old Lags" in general but would not have a problem with Joe Royal on the basis that he did actually achieve something with the Clubs he managed - wasn''t it something like 2 playoffs in 3 years at Ipswich? Also, he has a proven record of bringing on younger players, which has to be to the good.

As for being ex-Ipswich, I don''t give a flying "F" - I would have been ecstatic if George Burley had been appointed as manger last year.

We are talking about a manager, within sight of his 60th birthday, who last season could only manage 16th place in a very poor division and was sacked. This season, in their starting lineup, there have only been an average of two players who have come through their youth policy and found it necessary to bring in seven new players.

Didn''t Fat Joe say Ipswich would be his last job?

I have not got a lot against Royle, but I have never really rated him as a manager and would not be too happy with his appointment.  My brother who is, I''m sad to say, a binners fan and season ticket holder at Poorman Road, does still know what he''s talking about and was desperate for Royle to leave, not rating him too much overall but defensively in particular - an area where we clearly currently need the most attention.  If you take a closer look at his record as manager, he has been relegated almost as often as he has been promoted as well, which is not a particularly good sign...and he managed to take Man City down to the old Div 2 (ie League 1) which takes some going.

For me, Bowen is the most obvious choice, but there are plenty of others who I''d have ahead of Royle.

I would agree that Bowen would be first choice. However, if that is not to be I would rather see Joe Royle than Robson; Megson etc

He is a good manager and his record is quite impressive.

Not sure he would be my choice though. Would rather have a younger manager that has knowledge of the lower leagues where knowledge of cheap talent lays and can build from there.

My work mate who sits on the desk next to me is a die hard binners fan. here are some of his opinions on what Binners generally think of Royles reign at Poorman Rd :I would laugh and laugh if he got the job(1) if you think the style of play you have played under worthington is longball, you will soon see what real long-ball football is about under royle. this is also the reason according to an everton supporting mate that he got the boot from everton (having already got duncan ferguson, royle wanted to sign another giant upfront for total-longball football)(2) played 1 upfront most of the season (blamed on injuries) despite having plenty of better options with young forwards (bowditch, clark, haynes)(3) got rid of all players with real skill, favouring solid players. eg counago out - santos, diallo, parkin in. if an opposition player played well against us he''d sign him (even if that was the only time the player had ever played well)(4) even though the young players were the only brightspot last season he still did all he could to blame them(5) never seen on training ground(6) always moaned about having to play the ipswich way - he did not understand the concept of playing entertaining football and royle thought boring your way to a 1-0 win was the ultimate!(7) so depressed after last season, for the 1st time in 20years did not renew season-ticket until royle was gone (renewed it within an hour of super-jim getting the job). we now have a passionate manager who wants to play football the ipswich way.

There have been some cracking replies from some of you, with good alternative names for me to consider, sadly, I''m  now confused as to who would be best for City.

Help!.