Sign in to follow this  
Alex Harvey-Jones

Saunders .v. Hughes

I have to say I am very disappointed by the comments made by Mr Saunders to Andy Hughes and in his subsequesnt article on the pinkun. Ok we all know Hughes hasn''t been the greatest signing made by Norwich but he is a decent honest professional who has a great attitude and always gives his all for the club. For me that is all you can ask of a player and if he has been brought to the club by a manger then it is that manager''s fault if he isn''t good enough. He can''t suddenly find an extra bit of skill from somewhere - it doesn''t work like that.

Unfortunately as a player you can''t react in the way Hughes did and I can''t excuse it but for me Mr Sauders contribution to the altercation is equally as disgraceful as Hughes'' reaction and both should be punished accordingly. Ok the fans pay money and are entitled to their view but holding a view and voicing it in this manner are very different. Anyway it''s blatantly not true. Hughes is clearly not the worst player to have ever worn a Norwich shirt and he is fit to wear the colours because he tries 100%! I''m not saying I think he''s good enough and I think he should be sold but I believe he is worth two of the likes of Damien Francis, Leon McKenzie and Robert Green who thought they were too big for the club and had serious attitude problems.

Hughes should not be made a scapegoat for our poor form because it is not his fault! Making comments like this is cowardly I believe because it hides behind the fact that the comments are one way. You can insult a player but he can''t insult you back - where is the justice in that?? If you''re going to make abusive and untrue comments at least be prepared to take the full force of the consequences!

Couldn''t agree more, I''m not talking particularly about the Hughes incident but players getting OTT verbal abuse from fans who then whine when they get a reaction are pathetic. It is not your RIGHT to abuse a fellow human being just because you bought a ticket and he plays for your club.

Fair enough if you want to spout abuse, do so, but be big enough to accept a similarly robust response without whinging to a steward or the police.

my previous post gives the wrong impression!!. I do not believe being a football supporter gives someone the right to hurl personal abuse at the players of our club. Yes the player reacted badly just as people do when someone abuses the in a pub or a night club. He is human after all.

andy hughes behaviour was out of order and he should be punished by the club

The fans behaviour was also unacceptable and he should also be dealt with accordingly.

Fans have a right to protest but there is a limit to what is acceptable

If the quotes are true I think the low life that shouted it has no right to whinge about the reaction he got. Anywhere else in society you would not get away with that. Paying your ticket price does not allow you to act like scum, you should be punished to. I think Hughes should be given a chance to prove himself, he may not be the greatest but he gives 100%.

Neither the fan nor player behaviour is acceptable.  Abusive fan behaviour should be punished with some sort of stadium ban.

Clearly Hughes is not the worst player to wear a Norwich shirt, that would be me by the way, and hughes usbr even the worst professional. But worthy putting him on must go down as one of the most naive substitutions in the club history; it was inevitable that it would worsen rather than improve the managers position so almost committing professional suicide, at the same time curcifying Hughes who was always going to be a target for an already baying crowd.

For Hughes though whatever the provocation his reaction was completely unacceptable.  It lacked professionalism and for me it will be completely unaccepable if he stays at the club beyond January.

Croft was injured, and we needed some steel (ie not Jarvis). Hughes was the obvious substitution.

I am disgusted by the "Supporter''s Clique" statement on this incident. If it was Safri, Earnie or Hucks that lost their rag, would the same things be being said??

I bloody well doubt it.

[quote user="Marty"]If the quotes are true I think the low life that shouted it has no right to whinge about the reaction he got. Anywhere else in society you would not get away with that. Paying your ticket price does not allow you to act like scum, you should be punished to. I think Hughes should be given a chance to prove himself, he may not be the greatest but he gives 100%.[/quote] I agree - we are paying for the privelege to watch a football game not to abuse the players. You wouldn''t pay for a train ticket and then expect to be allowed to shout abuse at the conductor. Yes we''re entitled to our opinions but that doesn''t give us the right to give up common decency and respect for fellow human beings!

Could I do better - no but I am not a 28 yo professional footballer.

Likewise he is paid to play football,  not to be lovely - and what we saw on Sunday was far from lovely.

[quote user="Alex Harvey-Jones"][quote user="Marty"]If the quotes are true I think the low life that shouted it has no right to whinge about the reaction he got. Anywhere else in society you would not get away with that. Paying your ticket price does not allow you to act like scum, you should be punished to. I think Hughes should be given a chance to prove himself, he may not be the greatest but he gives 100%.[/quote] I agree - we are paying for the privelege to watch a football game not to abuse the players. You wouldn''t pay for a train ticket and then expect to be allowed to shout abuse at the conductor. Yes we''re entitled to our opinions but that doesn''t give us the right to give up common decency and respect for fellow human beings![/quote]

Good point, it irks me somewhat that people think the price of a football ticket allows them to vent all their frustrations on players, this behaviour is not tolerated anywhere else in society* so why at football? (*well maybe politics).

If someone comes into my place of work shouting abuse they will be removed el pronto, but this does not happen at football unless of course you refer to the players colour, then you may be spoken too, other forms  of personal abuse seem to be tolerated - unless you''re sat near me of course!

Whilst I can never claim to be an admirer of Hughes I have always refrained from booing him as he always seems to give his all but lacks the ability required.  This has never been helped with the decision to play him right side of midfield which is clearly not his position.He has carried the burden of the £500,000 transfer fee we paid for him which he cannot be blamed for