Sign in to follow this  
NMTD

Who should be more afraid - WBA or Norwich?

Mathematically 84 points takes everyone out of the promotion race except Norwich, WBA, Sunderland and Millwall. 88 points takes Millwall out too.

With us and WBA on 76 points, looking at the run in - who do you think should be more fearful of a late run by either Sunderland or Millwall?

Of the 4 main contenders only WBA have to play more than 1 match against their 3 main competitors - both away (Millwall & Sunderland).

All the talk has been that Sunderland will be gunning for Norwich, but if I was a Mackem looking at the remaining fixtures I''d have my sights set on WBA rather than Norwich.

Sunderland have taken 20 points from last 24 - and this is whilst they have been playing 2 games / week. If they can keep up that level it would put them on 88pts at the end of the season. They have some hard games to come in comparison to their previous 8 but don''t rule it out.

For WBA and Norwich, 4 more wins from the 7 seven remaining matches also puts us on 88 pts - Goal difference could be key. At the moment we are +12 over Sunderland and I can''t see them giving teams a real thumping to pull that amount back - but WBA are only +7 ahead.

Sunderland face Sheff Utd, Binners, WBA in their next 3. WBA face Gillingham, Millwall, Sunderland. What happens in those will tell us if we have a real fight on our hands or not.

Personally I have upped what I think is needed - I think 85 points - 3 more wins - should just about do it. 88 points or more and its almost a cast iron certainty unless Sunderland do something absolutely remarkable.

Millwall dropped points last night and had most influential player sent off, have a number of injuries and are almost out of the automatic equation.

Sunderland have to play tough games, Sheff U will be extremely difficult and the other NW will have them stoked up, this 3 rd game in 6 days will be running out of petrol, Mondays game will be 4th in 8 and even Ipswich should be able to cope with exhausted men, even though they are apparently the best team in the league.

If Sunderland emerge with 6 points from Easter we can start to look over our shoulders.

I have been using 85 points as a benchmark for about 10 games now and have been delighted to see nearly all of the competition disappear. Following Millwalls draw last night they need to win all their remaining games - possible but unlikely - to get to 85 points so they are also out of the equation.

That only leaves Sunderland, who can still get to 92 - which means that they have to drop 7 points. They do have a tough run in but the form they are in and with determination to make up for the semi final failure they could easily get another 18 out of their remaining 24 points - WBA did do someting remarkable two years ago and Sunerland are in a simialr mood IMO. As such I am now looking at 88 points as our minimum target. Given our run in this is possible and I am confident that we can do it - there are 4 winnable games and even 3 wins, 3 draws and a defeat to Sunderland still gives us the points we need.

All will be much clearer after the weekend - Roll on tomorrow!

Onwards & Upwards

Sorry to the previous poster''s valid points, but I think it comes down to having the bottle to do it!. WBA no doubt have bags of this, Sunderland, hmm, tricky.

Now for City, and for no other reason than its City, I have a nasty feeling we''re going to blow it big time over Easter. I think we''ll struggle against Wigan, who have not lost away since November. and I can see us struggling to get a draw. It won''t be pretty, and will be very physical.

I can only see a defeat at Reading, don''t know why, just can, thats all.

However Beat Wigan and Reading, and the picture looks far more rosey, help, where''s the bloody tranquilisers!.

Now I have to admit I''m a pessimist at heart, we don''t get dissapointed so much!, but this is Norwich we''re talking about here guys, and I learnt a long time ago to be prepared for dissapointment when following City, savvy!.

So Its the play offs for me, and then God help us, savvy.

Mr Wiz I guess you read the Sun as well as myself I posted the unbeaten since Nov on see Wigan Beware, however this is blox, they lost to WBA at the Hawthorns last month.

And away draw at Watford also last month is not too impressive. After being 1-0 up.

Although Wigan a worry, they do not look as formidale as he currant bun spuriously reports.

Various posters have made good points to this thread especially the statistical foray. The only point I would like to add is, that as long as the fear factor remains with the fans and posters on these boards, then that''s o.k. It must not be allowed to occur on the pitch, where the players must be positive and unafraid and full of their new found energetic approach to the game. OTBC.

Wizard,
I quote from your post 8/4 at 10.48am

''I think we will blow it over Easter''
''I think we will struggle against Wigan''
''Its the play offs for me''

As much as I love you its about time you had a more positive attitude and a bit more confidence in the lads,what have they got to do for you to believe in them? They''ve been top since before Xmas,they''ve signed the best striker in Div 1 and they are playing with real passion and committment,what more can they do?
P.S. Whats this savvy word creeping into all your posts?

Another one of your wind ups 1stWizard?

The Easter triple hex with chocolate sauce?

Boring!

Oh how we struggled against Wigan

I know what you mean about the postive attitude, cityangel. Three nights ago I dreamed that we lost to Wigan and played really badly. Everyone on the tv was asking just how on earth we had got to the top. Speculation was rife about bribery and corruption and threats of poison from Delia to various high-profile people at other clubs! When I woke up I know all would be ok yesterday...and it was. If I dream of the promotion to party to come than I might just have a slight attack of the yips!!!

When will you people on these boards, wake up to my train of thought here?. Now whisper this, but City are playing brilliant, yes?. And I for one will not risk putting a jinx, hex or anything else on them, till we''ve crossed the finishing line OK.

Yes I am susperstious, always have been and I can''t help it. So please show a little respect for my beliefs!, Yes I know I always predict bad things, but hey its worked so far has''nt it?, so prove I''m wrong!.

To Dear City Angel: You know I don''t drink gel, but I have even bought a bottle of champaine should ''a certain something'' happen, and will, I promise you, drink it!, and go bonkers like the rest of you. Hell I might even have my first tattoo, A City badge of course with Svennson written underneath, I do like that guy!.

As to Savvy, its very simple, think ''Pirates of the Carribean'' As I''m from Lowestoft, and from a seafairing family, ''Savvy'' was an old nautical word for ''understand'', this word was also used by Pirates of the 1720s, and I''ll lay to that, Savvy.

Don''t want to be a pain,Wiz, but "savvy" comes from the French "savez vous", meaning "do you know". (I come from a sea-faring family too, and have done my time at sea and never heard it used execpt in old American western films)

Great result last night, 3 more points at reading on Monday, home win again on Saturday, and we''re just about there!

Think positive! Upward & onward, to quote Saint Delia!!!

You''re no pain Foghhorn, and I don''t doubt your French connection thesus. But stand on Lowestfot fish market (when we had a fishing fleet that is) at 5am, and you would have heard the word savvy used quite regulary.

I must also point out that many words of french origin, are used quite often in english these days ie. sabotauge (have I spelt that right?).

Bloody hell, I thought this was a site about City!. This is old YC''s fault for starting this up in the first place!. Savvy.

Hope you are coming to our get-together Wizard,cant wait to meet you! I have champagne on ice too!

I must be too positive...the only fear I have is whether we can take the title....going up is a certainity as I don''t see Sunderland being able to catch us. It''s just a question of whether WBA can keep getting so lucky that they pinch top place from us.

Memo to self: I live in LOWESTOFT for Gawds sake, check spelling, and I know I don''t drink, but I should be able to spell champagne, idiot!.