Sign in to follow this  
Hump

The case for Hunter is

Hunter has worked with some of the best young players in the country who have moved through to the senior squad. His qualifications as a coach are second to none in the country. His contacts and credibility within the game are first class. Players especially young ones will want to join the academy. Go for a Coach who can become a Manager not a Manager who cannot coach. I believe the players want Hunter and stability and I believe the youth will benefit in the long term.

Give some reasons for your choice of manager apart from he used to play for the club and the fans liked him.

To be honest, what the players want is not the point, too many have been playing in a comfort zone for too long.

We need someone who can take the club forward and who has a feel for the club and the city to unite the players, manager, board and supporters.

That''s why i think, barring Curbishley, then Mark Bowen is the way forward.

The reason I would like Mark Bowen is similarly to his coaching record.  Assisted Birmingham and led them to victory in the playoffs (don''t we know it) and to their highest finish in the Prem before being released, assisted Wales to a Euro/World Cup playoff their first for about 10 years and likely to be their last for years to come.  Took over a very poor Blackburn side bottom of the league and within 18 months helped lead them into Europe. 

I have also heard and this is may be dismissed as I have no ''link'' but towards the end of last season when we went to Cardiff and won 1-0 (yes we won an away game!) Bellers was there and he was asked how things were going and how he''s being coached and he said that Bowen was the best coach he''d ever worked with.  Take that as it is.

I also see a desire there, he''s learnt his trade and is ready for a step up.  This is not a dig at Hunter but if he was so ambitious and wanted to manage a side on a day to day basis, would he not have tried before now?

[quote user="Hump"]

Hunter has worked with some of the best young players in the country who have moved through to the senior squad. His qualifications as a coach are second to none in the country. His contacts and credibility within the game are first class. Players especially young ones will want to join the academy. Go for a Coach who can become a Manager not a Manager who cannot coach. I believe the players want Hunter and stability and I believe the youth will benefit in the long term.

Give some reasons for your choice of manager apart from he used to play for the club and the fans liked him.

[/quote]

he has been relegated as a coach with both Stoke and Bradford

If u cant be suucesful with an international youth team which has Rooney in it then theres somethinhg wrong with u. they were other people players he had just had to send them out and let them play.

Worthys qualifications are "second to none", he has the same as Hunter.

Doug Livermore, allegedly, has 1st class contacts...

Hunter is Worthys yes man, With Worthys coaches at the club.. he will be the boards yes man and wont change the coaching personnel, i reckon he will get the job as its an "old pals act" at Norwich.. always has been... we will fail with him in charge.

Steve Tilson or Curbs are my pick.. Curbs record speaks for himself, Tilsons been Promoted twice with a smaller club than ours on less money, he can take a rubbish side and make them good. he is proven... id go for someone who is proven over some4one who "might come good" EG hunter

jas :)

I wouldn''t have a problem with Martin Hunter as manager, I agree with all your comments.  Plus he is already on board and wouldn''t cost us a penny.

With regard to other options, I also quite like the idea of Mark Bowen.  The nostalgia thing is playing a part, but a former player with a geniune love for the club cannot be a bad thing.

Also consider this....

Mark Bowen - No. 2 Birmingham City - Birmingham finish mid table - comfortable and playing nice football....

Blackburn Rovers in the same season escape relegation by the skin of their teeth.

Following season Mark Bowen leaves Brum and joins Blackburn - Birmingham relegated and play shocking football all season, Blackburn Rovers qualify for europe.......

You can all do the maths yourselves, I appreciate that Mark Hughes needs to take some credit but as any manager will vouch, you are only as good as the staff around you.

My only other comments would be that if the board appoints either Gary Megson or Bryan Robson I will be sending my season ticket back and asking for a refund.

My personal  choice, if a deal could be worked outwould be Mike Newell. Looking at what he has acheived at Luton, the next logical step for him is a club such as ours. He cannot take Luton any higher, so I feel he would be up for the move. An ambitious appointment such as this would enthuse supporters, and that is a vital consideration, as morale is at an all time low. However, i feel certain that the board will once again dissapoint with their lack of ambition, and the man in possession will get the job, adding to the air of resignation, that is so tangible, you can feel it as you walk around the city.   

[quote]Hunter is Worthys yes man, With Worthys coaches at the club.. he will be the boards yes man and wont change the coaching personnel, i reckon he will get the job as its an "old pals act" at Norwich.. always has been... we will fail with him in charge.[/quote]

Hunter is the continuity candidate, agreed.  Suggestions on this board have been made that the current loss of form is linked to the way Worthington has been treating certain players. If those suggestions are true, the question has to be is Hunter implicated in that, as he was Worthingtons'' coach ?  If he is, he might struggle to get the squad onside.  But that''s an internal matter, I would be astonished if we ever found out the answer.

Here''s a thought, Howard Wilkinson has been interviewed, allegedly.  If he got the job, would Hunter remain as coach ?

[quote]Steve Tilson or Curbs are my pick.. Curbs record speaks for himself, Tilsons been Promoted twice with a smaller club than ours on less money, he can take a rubbish side and make them good. [/quote]

Although I think he could be a good boss, I don''t think we''ll get Tilson.  He has built the side he has, the best players want to stay with him, and Southend have just submitted plans for a new stadium, which could be ready in 2 or 3 years, 22,000 capacity, which would give them a much better chance of competing at Championship level.  I suspect Tilson is in for the long haul.

[quote user="Hump"]

[/quote] If Hunter''s recent comments about'' keeping things the same'' are true, then you will still see Fleming, Robinson, Hughes, Dublin, and Thorne in the first team.  If he had came out and said I intend to give the Jarvis brothers, Spillane, and Eagle a chance then I might have considered him for the post. 

[quote user="silver fox"]  If he had came out and said I intend to give the Jarvis brothers, Spillane, and Eagle a chance then I might have considered him for the post.  [/quote]

Even if they''re not good enough for this level ?  We have 90 minutes of match time before we play the 2 form teams of this league, most of the players you mentioned were in the team that conceded 2 against Rotherham, of league 1, and were out-played for long periods of that game.  I am sure that these players would be given their chance in the longer term if he got the job, as they would under any new manager - the players in the first team now will not be around forever.

[quote user="blahblahblah"]

[quote user="silver fox"]  If he had came out and said I intend to give the Jarvis brothers, Spillane, and Eagle a chance then I might have considered him for the post.  [/quote]

Even if they''re not good enough for this level ?  We have 90 minutes of match time before we play the 2 form teams of this league, most of the players you mentioned were in the team that conceded 2 against Rotherham, of league 1, and were out-played for long periods of that game.  I am sure that these players would be given their chance in the longer term if he got the job, as they would under any new manager - the players in the first team now will not be around forever.

[/quote]

Fleming, Robinson, Hughes, Dublin, and Thorne I consider poor championship players at best on their recent showings.

some good points Blah3

I hope Wilko hasnt been interviewed/doesnt get the job.. he was a good manager years ago but has since proven by walking out on the England set up and the fist of things he made at Sunderland that he doesnt have what it takes

jas :)

Wilkinson would be a disaster.  Never have I heard a more dour and miserable man in my life....and grey just like Worthington.

Whether it brings instant success or not, we need some excitement here on matchdays. Wilco would be happy with endless 1-0 scorelines at home and 0-0''s away. Sure we might go up.......but who wants to sit through that stuff?

Football is my passion......not just winning.

The thing is it is clear the club needs a fresh start. Hunter was head hunted by Worthy and worked under him - that isn''t a fresh start if we appoint Hunter. He came out yesterday and said that he wouldn''t be changing the players involved or the formation from how it was - that wasn''t what I wanted to hear. We need new ideas and a new direction!

[quote user="blahblahblah"]

[/quote]   I fail to see how you can say they''re not good enough for this level, when they haven''t been given a chance to prove it.  When was the last time Thorne scored two goals away from home?  When was the last time Hughes and Robinson dominated the midfield?  When was the last time Fleming and Doherty out-played the opposition forward line? I don''t need another 90 minutes to convince me that Fleming, Hughes, Robinson, Thorne, Dublin and Doherty are not up to the job.  If only Worthy had shown a bit more faith in his talented youngsters he might still be in the job.