Sign in to follow this  
nick oakley

why are we nicknamed the canaries?

I was asked at work the other day why norwich city are called the canaries, and i had to admit that i didn,t know, does any know how we came to be called the canaries, o.t.b.c.

I believe it was due to the many Dutch settlers that came to Norfolk in the mid 1800''s

They brought with them canaries as pets and once over here, bred them and sold them to the locals.

In the 16th century, the Mayor of Norwich invited 25 families from the ''Low Countries'', (Belguim and Holland - they were being persecuted by the Spanish for being Protestant) to resettle in Norwich to revive the city''s weaving industry. They became known as the ''Strangers''. Within a few years these Strangers accounted for approximately one third of the city''s population. They also loved to breed canaries. These yellow birds became known as Norwich Canaries. This is why we are nicknamed Canaries.I discovered this when researching my family history, when I also found I am descended from the Strangers.

Just found this at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norwich_CityCanary breeding was a popular hobby in Norwich and Norfolk at that

time, (contrary to some suggestions, the canaries were not bred for use

in mining, they were bred purely as a hobby). One of the early managers

partook in this hobby and often referred to his players as "his

canaries". Originally, the club was nicknamed the Citizens, and played in blue and white halved shirts, but by 1907, the nickname Canaries had come more into vogue, to such an extent that the famous yellow shirts were adopted, to match the nickname.

[quote user="queen be"]Just found this at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norwich_City

Canary breeding was a popular hobby in Norwich and Norfolk at that time, (contrary to some suggestions, the canaries were not bred for use in mining, they were bred purely as a hobby). One of the early managers partook in this hobby and often referred to his players as "his canaries". Originally, the club was nicknamed the Citizens, and played in blue and white halved shirts, but by 1907, the nickname Canaries had come more into vogue, to such an extent that the famous yellow shirts were adopted, to match the nickname.[/quote]

Which takes us nicely back to the original link posted by Web Team -  Vince. It explains this in the yellow column on the right of the page.