Sign in to follow this  
Canaries Canary

Worst player ever...

[quote user="Canaries Canary"]Wasn''t the hat trick Beckford got against Everton a Pre-Season friendly?[/quote]

The Beckford hattrick, if I remember rightly from the season review video, is from a game at carrow Road towards the end of the 91/92 season, which we won 4-3. Not a Premiership hattrick though, moreof a Barclays League Division One hattrick [:P]

[quote user="essexcanary"]graham stuart def, if not gary holt[/quote]

If think there are far worse players, especially Holt, I mean he couldn''t be that bad since we won the league comfortably with him in the teams engine room.

David Beckham, Purely because if Deehan had signed him, we could have made a FORTUNE!!!!

No seriously,I''d say our worst player i''ve seen was Paul Crichton. Whenever he filled in for goal,he looked awful in goal,flapped around like some sort of injured bird and just smashing the ball as hard as he could when kicking!

[quote user="essexcanary"]graham stuart def, if not gary holt[/quote]

Gary Holt????? Wash your mouth out.

Or perhaps you "joined" our support during the premiership season ..... ?

This conversation crops up in so many places from time to time. I just read this entire thread and counted the votes for each player! Dean Coney usually wins and looks like he did again! Simon Tracey was a gallant runner-up and in my opinion they both fully deserve their places at the top of the tree!! Steve Walsh, Drazen Muzinic, Raymond De Waard, Graham Stuart, Adrian Coote and Charlie Billington were other players with multiple votes!

I can only judge players from the late sixties onwards and I would imagine the majority of posters in this thread are of younger generations than mine. So I was intrigued with ray duckers and  sparkies Charlie Billington because I had never heard of him! So for those of my generation and younger :-

BILLINGTON, Charles Royston     Centre Half 1956-57      Debut v Southampton 28.01.56                    22 Apps. 0 Gls.

Admirably equiped physically for his position Charlie turned professional upon leaving the forces. A big and rugged stopper who passed 200 appearances at Aldershot before joining Norwich in January 1956. He had difficulty containing Derek Reeves on his debut over whom he towered by six inches but Reeves did score 168 career goals for the Saints. Charlie''s Norwich spell was during a troubled period for the club and he was eventually placed on the transfer list as being surplus to requirements. His last Football League appearance was for Mansfield at home on 23rd August 1958 against Southampton. They lost 6-1 and guess who netted four goals in direct opposition to Charlie? Yes, one Derek Reeves.

I think given the fact that he got two votes in this thread and that I reckon the majority of us didn''t see him play the worst player ever is Charles Royston Billington!

As for me, I''m going to be boring and go with Simon Tracey. It''s really hard thinking back over the years and singling someone out as the worst player ever,  because even the poorest  players can leave you with good memories. I do remember a big centre forward signed from millwall called Bryan Conlon. I thought he was rubbish but wheneverhe scored we won!

With due respect to the posters I don''t think Albert Bennett or Gary Holt deserve to be anywhere near this thread! Albert Bennett was a really good player and an England under 23 international when we signed him from Newcastle but he was very injury prone. I remember him scoring a hat-trick for us at Portsmouth on the day that Gay Trip won the National. The pink ''un headline that evening was something like "Bennett makes it Gay Trip for the canaries!! Anyway he played 59 times and scored 16 goals. Gary Holt is a lot fresher in the memory and although he was maybe out of his depth in the premier league he has been POS and has his place in the Hall Of Fame. Suggesting Holt is our worst player ever MUST have been a wind up!