Sign in to follow this  
Citizen Journalist Foghorn

The Nest: McLeish Front-Runner for Manager

The Nest can exclusively reveal that the current front-runner, and the man now extremely likely to take up the vacancy, is ex-Rangers boss Alex McLeish.

A source with connections to the club has revealed to The Nest that the Scotsman is currently way out in front of the other contenders for the job, and has dropped very strong hints to us that he will in fact be offered the job – and local bookmakers seem to agree, with some now refusing to take bets on him...

http://www.thenest-ncfc.co.uk/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=311

He has not been discussed much on here and in my opinion would be a much better choice than many that have.

Good find CJF and thanks for posting it! [8-|]

I think i''d like McLeish here, his record at Rangers and Hibs was very good. 2 Scottish titles, 2 Scottish cup, 3 scottish league cup and in 2005 he led Rangers to the last 16 of the UEFA Champions League, Actually yes i''d love him here!

Team From To Games Won Lost Drawn

Rangers 235 155 36 44

Hibernian 164 77 45 42

Motherwell 156 48 63 45

How are the Nest for reliable information, I ask cause I haven''t gone on the site before and don''t know it''s history.

Could be a good appointment, has managed to a very decent level with Rangers :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alex_McLeish

he also took Motherwell to 2nd in 1994, and managed hibs back into the top flight in Scotland.

The one thing that troubles me is that his name doesn''t scan very well.  "Alex McLeish''s Greeeeen Armeee" is a bit cumbersome.

Maybe "Mur-Kleeeeshes'' Green army " ?

Or maybe we could use his nickname, "Big Eck " ?

I would of course get behind him if he was appointed and until tried and tested......who knows?

Coming from Rangers is a bit of a step down......but he may ultimately bring with him a clutch of players currently unknown down South and do a decent job.

We''ll get what we are given......so let''s just hope he is as hungry as the article states.

The following piece again from Wiki makes interesting reading for fans of a club with....... well shall we say not the biggest or best squad nor the largest of transfer budgets.

Yet the overall success of McLeish''s initial period as manager proved difficult to sustain. The club''s parlous financial position, in the wake of the profligacy of the Advocaat era, meant a period of relative austerity. Wage bills were slashed as the club embarked on an extensive cost-cutting programme in an attempt to stabilise a mushrooming (and unsustainable) debt. Confronted with a squad of well-paid but ageing players largely assembled by Advocaat, McLeish was compelled to rebuild without the luxury of the generous transfer kitty enjoyed by his predecessors over the preceding two decades, and lost from his treble winning team the inspirational but mistake-prone Lorenzo Amoruso, Scottish international winger Neil McCann and, most damagingly of all, club captain Barry Ferguson to Blackburn Rovers F.C. To replace these players, McLeish was required to rebuild, not through the high-profile and often audacious signings of the Souness, Smith and Advocaat years, but via wheeling and dealing and the selective use of ''Bosman'' free transfers.

After a good start to 2003/2004 which saw the team lead the SPL and qualify for the money-spinning Champions League (with another dramatic late goal in Denmark against FC Copenhagen), the loss of Ferguson shortly afterwards led to a dramatic downturn in results and a trophyless campaign. McLeish''s Bosman signings of experienced players, such as the Brazilian midfielder Emerson and Norwegian forward Egil Ostenstad have since entered Ibrox folklore as some of the worst players to pull on a Rangers shirt. Most damaging of all, however, was the £600,000 signing of Portuguese winger Nuno Capucho.

The 2004/2005 season started in the same vein, with McLeish making another poor signing in Serbian midfielder, Dragan Mladenovic, for £1m. The Serb would manage less than ten games for the club. On the pitch, the team again fell behind Celtic in the league and exited the Champions League at the qualifying stage. It was rumoured that failure to gain entry into the new UEFA Cup group stage would see McLeish lose his job, but another late goal and a penalty shoot out win over CS Marítimo of Portugal provided him with a stay of execution.

After this, his fortunes began to turn again. Mladenovic aside, McLeish had made some canny signings in the summer, such as Nacho Novo, plus the Bosmans Dado Pršo, Jean-Alain Boumsong along with teak-tough midfielder and Rangers die-hard Alex Rae. Once these players settled in, the team began to recover ground on O''Neill''s ageing Celtic side. Boumsong, in particular, was a great success but he was to be sold in January 2005, after only six months at the club, to English Premiership side Newcastle United (managed by former boss Graeme Souness) for £8m. This cash paved the way for more signings, including Thomas Buffel and the return of former captain and prodigal son Barry Ferguson.

[quote user="blahblahblah"]

Could be a good appointment, has managed to a very decent level with Rangers :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alex_McLeish

he also took Motherwell to 2nd in 1994, and managed hibs back into the top flight in Scotland.

The one thing that troubles me is that his name doesn''t scan very well.  "Alex McLeish''s Greeeeen Armeee" is a bit cumbersome.

Maybe "Mur-Kleeeeshes'' Green army " ?

Or maybe we could use his nickname, "Big Eck " ?

[/quote]

No thanks...who hasn''t managed to do this with Rangers?

[quote]

No thanks...who hasn''t managed to do this with Rangers?[/quote]

Fair point, it was Motherwells'' 2nd and Hibs getting back to the Premier league that interested me more.

I think it would be a good appointment.

I mentioned thisealier this year that a big factor anytime we have had success has been a small contingent of scotish players on our team.

They bring fire, passion and hunger to the side. Something we are clearly lacking at the moment.

During our promotion year malky and holt were standout gritty players who without doubt helped us out of this division.

Some of the great players from the past such as McDougal, Forbes, Fleck and Gunn became legends at this club.

Again its their fire and passion that won over the crowds. Not just their skill.

The new manager without doubt is going to have to rebuild.

We obviously dont have the budget for Prem players so we must either raid the lower divisions or Scotland where the options are much more affordable and the right

manager might find some great bargains.

I would be in favor of a manager who has experience of the lower divisions or scotland.

Thats the one negative against Hunter. He may be a good coach but what about the transfer market?

Did anyone see mcleish on match of the day sat evening ? when he started talking about work ethic i thought i was about

to have another thrombosis , we can''t go down that same old road can we? whats he doing out of a job anyway ?lets face it

my wife could manage rangers. sounds like another willie reid to me .lets get someone in who knows football inside out like

david williams.

It''s all pure speculation of course. I would like to see Mark Bowen.......but others wouldn''t.

Like I say...we''ll get what we are given......

[quote user="cluckin"]

I would of course get behind him if he was appointed and until tried and tested......who knows?

Coming from Rangers is a bit of a step down......but he may ultimately bring with him a clutch of players currently unknown down South and do a decent job.

We''ll get what we are given......so let''s just hope he is as hungry as the article states.

[/quote]

Is coming from Rangers such a big step down?

Apart from Celtic, who else is there to beat in the Scottish League?

That said, McLeish is as good a contender for the job as I''ve witnessed yet