Sign in to follow this  
Who killed the Croutons

Lottery and Norwich

Bit left of centre here but if any of us were lucky enough to win a serious amount of money on the lottery would anyone ever give up a proportion to help Norwich if you could make a difference? And would you stipulate what the money should be spent on??   

Noel Gallacher, when asked if he''d bail out the ailing Maine Road coffers at the time, replied with

"I''m just a supporter. I want to come along on a Saturday and watch them play. I don''t want my windows bricked in when they lose, and 30,000 people expecting money off me whenever they see a new player they fancy."

I think that''s the best tactic for self-preservation in these matters. If you''re cashed up with a lottery win, and really want to contribute, a donation to the Academy is probably a good way to go. The club can then meet it''s budgets there and use the surplus in whichever way they want. It does mean that you still have no control, but then it depends on your temprament. You couldn''t realistically just go out and buy a player you fancy with your cash and give him to the manager wrapped in a big fancy bow (which is the only way of getting what you want with your cash!), so despite having all the money in the world, if you haven''t got the managers job, you have no footballing say.

[quote user="Who killed the Croutons"]Bit left of centre here but if any of us were lucky enough to win a serious amount of money on the lottery would anyone ever give up a proportion to help Norwich if you could make a difference? And would you stipulate what the money should be spent on??   [/quote]

I would if i won a big amount. What would i ever do with £10million? I would like to get a seat on the board and suggest where the money was spent, i wouldnt want it wasted.

if i won the euro millions or what not.  I probably WOULDNT invest in city, id buy a conference south club and do a Wimbledon.. i have family in Basingstoke so Basingstoke town would be an option id investigate, Give them 500k in conference south should be enough to get them up and carry on from there

jas :)

i have offten thought about this, lets talk about that irish woman who won about £90million, now iwould difinatly give the club some of that say £25 million. And also i think giving the money to the academy would be a good idea. If i had absolutle faith in the manager (worthington i didn''t ) but the next manager i would just let him buy who he wanted, id also ask for the money to be put in the transfer kitty. But yea i would want some say in who and why etc the money was being spent on, so as you say a seat on board maybe.

Would be a nice position to be in.

If I won lottery, I would purchase a shed-load of ''bling'' the size of battleship chains to wear around my bull-neck. Then I''d get a load of high performance top o'' the range cars. I''d then grab a catapult an'' a coupla'' bags of ball bearin'' ammo - an'' as target practice, try an'' pop a few of the floodlight bulbs and maybe some of the executive box platey glass windows. I''d then get my shaven headed heavily tattooed burberry cap wearin'' mates, to drive a load of scrap motors around the pitch banger racin'' as pre-match entertainment. No corporate flash grub! Just pies, fish ''n'' chips (an'' mushy peas) and gallons of stella in bottles.......an'' that''s just for starters! I''d then give a few quid to a lookey-likey to wear my electronic tag and do my community service for me........Then I''d probably just waste the rest on booze, nothin'' crappy stuff an'' rubbishy tack......Then I''d  go around jus'' windin'' everyone up.......an'' smirkin'' inanely an'' gesturin'' with one fingered salutes to the meejah an'' all that.....Oh, an'' I support Glasgow Rangers - so I wuddn''t give any cash to NCFC!

Isn''t that what lottery winners normally do? [:^)]  

norwich won the lottery when they sold ashton, leon and green for 10M and have spent less than half of it.

why would i give them more to stash away?

anyway, if i gave them 1M they''d say it was actually 500K and then buy a second-rater for 250K (and say it was actually 500K too)

I''d hire a detective agency to track down yellow fever and take his computer away........or his mum''s....whichever the case may be.........

I would fund building the extra tier on the Geoffrey Watling stand say at 10m. And it would be named in deserved memory of my good self  ''The Crouton Stand'' so the whole structure would become the Geoffrey Watling Crouton Stand (or GWC for short) 

[quote]norwich won the lottery when they sold ashton, leon and green for 10M and have spent less than half of it.[/quote]

Ashton : 1.75 million in sell ons to Crewe ?  3.5 million initial fee ?  God only knows what in agents fees, maybe 500k ?  We probably made no more than 2 million in profit on Ashton, and that went on buying Earnshaw.

Green : 1.5 million plus add-ons ? 

McKenzie : 600k plus add-ons ?

Hardly 10 million in cold hard cash is it ?

if you want to bring add-ons into the sales then surely they would be pertinent to the purchases too. it works both ways surely.

add the premieship revenue and 2 years parachute payments and sell-out crowds too and it cannot be denied that the investment in the playing staff is pathetic.

[quote]add the premieship revenue and 2 years parachute payments and sell-out crowds too and it cannot be denied that the investment in the playing staff is pathetic[/quote]

How many Robert Earnshaws and Darren Huckerbys are in this league ?

Once a manager is appointed, I suspect there will be the odd decent loan signing too.

Not forgetting that we''ve just doubled our debt to build a new stand, football stadiums always look better with 4, don''t you think ? [;)]

Admittedly, I wouldn''t put 10 million of my money into a football team either, you''d have to be mad.  If that quote is Noel Gallacher''s, it must be the most sensible thing he''s ever said.

All these premature sweeping statements are ridiculously made. We simply don''t have enough knowledge to know who has or hasn''t been ruled out. We''re privy to the smallest amount of information possible, and it''s ridiculous to say that Tilson has been given up on. You''re just jumping to ridiculous conclusions based on the smallest of evidence. The only think I''d bet on is that it won''t be Hunter. No information, just a hunch.

[quote user="blahblahblah"]

If that quote is Noel Gallacher''s, it must be the most sensible thing he''s ever said.

[/quote]Noel''s the sensible(ish) one.It''s his kid brother who''s the neanderthal tosser.

[quote]add the premieship revenue and 2 years parachute payments and sell-out crowds too and it cannot be denied that the investment in the playing staff is pathetic[/quote]

[/quote]

only 1 of each - if u want any other wuestions answered please ask -i culd set up advise colum

[/quote]

Neither of whom are likely to be here next season in my opinion.

And I''m not saying we should have invested 10M into the team. Heaven forbid, we could have ended up with more players of the calibre of Mrs Robinson, Juregn Chronic and Nerys but there''s room for a bit of compromise between 600K (or 2.6M if you want to include the Cotterill farce) and 10M.

You reap what you sow and the board inexplicably have chosen a crop rotation policy, leaving the playing field fallow this season.

[quote user="Yellow fever"][quote user="blahblahblah"]

[/quote]

only 1 of each - if u want any other wuestions answered please ask -i culd set up advise colum

[/quote]

Think you''ll need to tidy up your spelling before you launch an advice column, [:)]

[quote]Mrs Robinson, Juregn Chronic and Nerys [/quote]

Mrs Robinson - 50k allegedly

Jurgen Chronic - 234k, probably a nice round number in euros

Nerys - 500k.

With 10 million we could have bought 21 players of this calibre - but then no-one would be happy because we frittered it all away on journeymen.  not to mention the wages would be hysterical.

Running a football club with heavy debts is like walking a tight-rope, I suspect.  Probably doesn''t help when the audience are throwing their seats at you.

To bring us back nicely to the thread topic (yes, you''ve deviated once again, boys and girls), City wouldn''t benefit from a penny of my money unless I''d won in excess of £50 million. And then I would have had to have exhausted all other possible spending targets, including donating substantial sums to various charities. Putting money into football clubs isn''t much more use than building a bonfire and throwing large quantities of bank notes on it, so contributing to the Carrow Road exchequer is out of the question for me.

[quote user="Billy Bovine"]To bring us back nicely to the thread topic (yes, you''ve deviated once again, boys and girls), City wouldn''t benefit from a penny of my money unless I''d won in excess of £50 million. And then I would have had to have exhausted all other possible spending targets, including donating substantial sums to various charities. Putting money into football clubs isn''t much more use than building a bonfire and throwing large quantities of bank notes on it, so contributing to the Carrow Road exchequer is out of the question for me.[/quote]

shame someone told delai too