Sign in to follow this  
Citizen Journalist Foghorn

So they seem to be saying the four candidates are

At the start i wouldn''t have wanted any of these, but if i had to have one id gamble on Penny. But i do want to add that if this had been all sorted in the summer we would have had bigger and better names in the frame, Guaranteed! But as uaual "little old Norwich" will settle for second best. 

[quote user="king of latvia"]no none if one of theses are made manager it will be taking a major step backwards.[/quote]

Out of those 4 it has to be Penney.

KOL, who would you like?

As much as I rate Ian Crook, it would have to be a brave appointment by the board.

We don''t know much about his managerial talent....but his coaching methods would be spot-on.

Dave Penney

Peter Grant

Steve Tilson

Martin Hunter

One of my friends says that Bowen is still in the mix so don''t rule him out!

Remember Hull, Colchester and Phil Parkinson, Same could happen with Tilson

From within my undercover contact at ''footloose'' Carra Rud........(it''s not a phallusy either!) But I have it on good authority, that the quattro of manageriatric prospective candy-dates, are actually all follicly challenged slapheads..........And, I am just as curious as the rest of you good people, to which of the four skins, is given the head appointment. Not a ''Johnny come lately'' I sincerely hope![8-)] 

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]

Dave Penny

Peter Grant

Ian Crook

Martin Hunter

Any take your fancy??

You know what, if we lose Saturday I see a relegation battle looming large...

[/quote]

They probabaly all have one thing in common - they''re cheap

oh god!!!

Looks like we had 20 people to start with and now we are down to this 4!!!

I''d rather have Glen hoddle or Bryan Robson tahn any of these!!!

Yes I know what you are thinking, but who in the hell are these people? (I only really know who crooky is! But hes too inexperinced)

I fear we are selling ourselves very short! Don''t want to pay the wages to the managers like hoddle etc. Rather pay peanuts for league 1 & 2 candidates!

Oh well theres nowt I can do!

God help us!

Cheers All

[quote user="koimatsuba"]oh god!!! Looks like we had 20 people to start with and now we are down to this 4!!! I''d rather have Glen hoddle or Bryan Robson tahn any of these!!! Yes I know what you are thinking, but who in the hell are these people? (I only really know who crooky is! But hes too inexperinced) I fear we are selling ourselves very short! Don''t want to pay the wages to the managers like hoddle etc. Rather pay peanuts for league 1 & 2 candidates! Oh well theres nowt I can do! God help us! Cheers All[/quote]

If by big names you mean the likes of Crubishley or McLeish, where have either of them indicated that wages would be a stumbling block?

The problem with all of this is that lots of people are going to be disapponted, no matter what. We cannot, by definition, have a ''young and hungry'' manager who is also experienced, ex-Prem etc. If you dismiss anyone from a team ''below'' us, by definition you are dismissing ''young and hungry'' managers, surely?

And so here it comes, whoever is appointed, some fans will not approve, for various reasons (too old, too young, only coached, never won promotion, whatever) and will accuse the Board of a lack of ambition. From ''if we keep Worthy we''re going down'' to ''if we appoint any of those founr managers we''re going down'' just reinforces the general impression of the WO types - ''we''re all domed'' whatever the question.

Anyone who thought the end of Worthy would mean the end of hostilities between fans, and to the Board... I suspect this is just the beginning of the next round. Grim.

I think everyone is being harsh by judging Peter Grant already, before he became a coach at West Ham they were going nowhere, yet at the end of the season they managed to get through the playoffs to the Premiership. If it hadn''t been for Grant going to West Ham Pardew may have got the sack.

He will have also learned valuable lessons about how to stay in the Premier League in your first season back.

While he was a player at Carrow Road he wasn''t the most gifted yet he was always trying, I think if anyones going to drive the present team to another level it could be him.

At the end of the day we need a manager that either:

1. Knows the lower leagues and has had success at this level working with minimal resources - i.e. Tilson or Penney. Both these managers have worked on shoe-string budgets and had success. Working with the players we have at the moment, I expect an immediate improvement in both results and performances.

2. Is determined to prove themselves as a manager and is, as an infamous Irishman once said "hungry for success" - i.e. Bowen, Crook, Grant. All have worked as assistants/coaches in their time and IMO would be suitable for the job. Obviously Bowen and Crook have more personal connections with the club and would probably appeal to the majority. However, Grant''s current employers are very similar in their set-up to Norwich in addition to playing football in the correct way. I would be happy with any of these 3.

The most important thing is that we get a new man with new ideas, tactics and opinions. A fresh approach is required, not only on the playing field but also with the backroom staff and anything but an "outsider" will not fit the bill.

I sincerely hope mssrs Smith & Co are of the same opinion.

Fingers crossed...[:|]

come on we have to be realistic, we can''t have curbs, don''t want an old timer like robson or reid. This leaves inexperienced or current managers, there is no guarantee that newell or tilson would leave, either cheaply or at all. This leaves unproven ex players or younger managers, personally i would like penney, but grant, bowen or crook all have to start somewhere. It''s not ideal but we need to get behind the choice, after all mourinho, ferguson, wenger and co all had to start somewhere.

Lest we forget this is what we wanted, a new era with a new name, give them a chance even if it isn''t the name you want to see.

If it is Peter Grant then we should get behind him. I have been talking to some of my Caledonian friends (us celts have to stick together) and they all say the same thing, he would be a good punt as he is a good motivator, a good man manager, a good coach, the players like having him around and he has a real passion about the game of football. 

Agreed. I haven''t yet done my boss'' job, so does that mean I can''t? Who would be a better bet, me who is keen, or a guy who got fired from somewhere else for failing, but at least has experience at that level?

I don''t think it''s any different. We get someone who has done the same thing at a smaller club (Tilson) or someone who has assisted at a higher level (Grant). Either way it''s a ''promotion'' for them, a step up, and when you hire staff there''s always an element of gamble in it....

I''d take (the right) attitude over experience nearly every time.