Sign in to follow this  
Rudolph Hucker

RED HERRINGS!

Historically, Norwich love to throw out, leak or go along with red herrings.

How often have we been linked with players only to come up with someone (like Croft) who wasn''t in the frame or in the minds of supporters.

Why should it be any different with Managers, infact, this could be the source of Wiz''s fear that it will be Hunter: because Hunter has hardly featured.

If it isn''t Hunter then, and if the Club is happy to do nothing to stop the smokescreen of rumour who might it be, is there a manager out there hiding behind the media distraction who we might sign, and remember, I said ''If it isn''t Hunter.''

What I am asking is, who hasn''t been mentioned or mentioned much who might just slip under the radar?

Well, I haven''t seen much written about Glenn Hoddle so I guess he could fall into that category.

Mark .Y.

I suspect the fact that Bowen is being discounted in a lot of quarters is a red herring to.

If i was a betting man then my money would still go on him!

[quote user="Rudolph Hucker"] What I am asking is, who hasn''t been mentioned or mentioned much who might just slip under the radar?[/quote]

Oh come come now Mr. Hucker: Have I not just read your critisicm over the number of posts here recently containing no more than wild speculation over who the next manager is going to be, many of them splattered Pollock style with gratuitous naming of people who just happen to be unemployed football managers and/or have played football or "might do a good job", (because let''s face it the criteria for having your name put forward as a potential manager on this board has been fairly ambiguous)?

And now you are asking for people to put forward the names of those who have not been already mentioned....... Where do you draw the line? Do they need to be qualified? Experienced? Alive? Or will any old Wheeler dealer,Tequila Sheila or gas money stealer be acceptable?

You mention Red Herrings, I think you''re right about the fish as to what particular family we''re looking at I don''t know since I can''t see but I sure as hell can smell one.......

At the end of the day we will get what Delia wants. Delia wanted Huckerby and Ashton for example, and it happened.

I wonder what Delia thinks of Hunter? She probably doesn''t know him very well and she will also feel disloyal to Nigel if someone he brought in gets his job. She might not even like him.

My personal hunch is that Delia wants an injection of a former player, either as manager or assistant as she too remembers the best years and knows supporters want real football again.

It will be a decision with a level of sentimentality and emotion. I don''t think it will be Hunter. It will either be Bowen and Crook or else a manager proven at a lower level who can work on a small initial budget plus Crook.

If Hunter is acceptible to Delia then he will be retained as Coach under a new manager but will not be the boss.

There, that''s my colours nailed to the mast!

What will Delia and Michael want? What can we learn from their past appointments?

Their first appointment was Mike Walker at a time the club was in total disarray, much worse than now. This appointment would unite the fans and be seen to be an attempt to return to the not long lost glory days of the top of the Premier League and European football.

Sadly Walker didn''t work the second time out and in the summer of 1998 they appointed their ''Dream Team'' of Rioch and Hamilton. The club looked to be moving forward for a time, players fitness and dietary issues were addressed on a bigger scale than before, but ultimately Rioch left blaming a lack of resources. It was also rumoured that there was friction between himself and Hamilton.

Hamilton took over the day before we visited Ipswich on the back of a poor run of results. Against all odds we won that match 2-0 and even though poor results followed that 2-0 win was probably enough to secure him the job on a permanent basis.

They appointed Nigel Worthington on the back of an impressive run of results as caretaker manager, but apparently it was a close run thing between him and David Jones.

So what could they have learned from previous appointments? From Mike Walker they could have learned that a ''second coming'' may not work. (Ian Crook, Mark Bowen, Peter Grant) From Bruce Rioch they could have learned that Managers from top clubs need a lot of resources (Alex McLeish, Graeme Souness etc.) From Hamilton they could have learned to take more time over the decision (Hunter). I would imagine they still regard Worthy''s appointment as the right one but I feel they are unlikely to follow suit with Hunter because he won''t have the opportunity to rack up a decent run of results.

So, with Curbishly seeming a non starter and Blackwell caught up in legal stuff with Leeds that probably leaves Steve Tilson or Dave Penney. So I am going for one of those with Martin Hunter staying at the club as First Team Coach. If I have to say one then it’s Penney!

So I will nail my colours next to Rudolf’s

We havent been linked with Blackwell in the press at all, yet he''s second on the bookies lists. That worries me, do the bookies know something we dont?

[quote user="Matt Hudson"]We havent been linked with Blackwell in the press at all, yet he''s second on the bookies lists. That worries me, do the bookies know something we dont?[/quote]

I think it may be the other way round Matt. I''m sure I read the EDP or EEN ruling Blackwell out because of some kind of contractual situation with Leeds (although they didn''t go any further). They''re probably still paying him!  

With regards to a ''second coming'' when you mention Mike Walker. He inherited a great set of players from Dave Stringer...who in my view is the best manager we have ever had. When Walker came back, he had to start again from scratch by bringing in his own players....and so got badly caught out.

Dave Stringer was no bad ''second coming''.......and if Mark Bowen or Ian Crook were appointed....wouldn''t that be a first coming as a manager?........

Former players can and do work well as managers as has been seen many times at different clubs. If we are going down the ''cheap'' route.....better the devil you know...........

[quote user="cluckin"]

With regards to a ''second coming'' when you mention Mike Walker. He inherited a great set of players from Dave Stringer...who in my view is the best manager we have ever had. When Walker came back, he had to start again from scratch by bringing in his own players....and so got badly caught out.

Dave Stringer was no bad ''second coming''.......and if Mark Bowen or Ian Crook were appointed....wouldn''t that be a first coming as a manager?........

Former players can and do work well as managers as has been seen many times at different clubs. If we are going down the ''cheap'' route.....better the devil you know...........

[/quote]

My post was a feeble attempt to read Delia and Michaels minds about the appointments they had made previously not my views of things. You are right about Dave Stringer. I also think you are right about Mike Walker getting lucky with the squad he inherited but he certainly had the gift of making them play well. When he went to Everton and had money to spend he squandered most of it on Daniel Amokachi, anyone remember him?? He did however sign a half decent centre forward from Wolves when he came back for the second time!

I have no doubt that Mark Bowen and Ian Crook could work for us. As I said, my post was not about who I would like to see here, just trying to second guess Delia!