Overrated or Underrated

Something a bit more light hearted against the who will the manager will
be debate / guesswork. Just give examples of Canary players or staff that
are either overrated or underrated.

Overrated

Youssef Safri - My opinion of Safri is that he''s good, sometimes very good
it''s just he never does enough he rarely takes games by the throat and
really dominates them. Plus his performance against Burnley was perhaps the
worst given by a Norwich midfield player since Sutch.

Mattias Svensson - Not that he was that bad it''s just he wasn''t all that.
I think lots of it because he had the guts to come out and speak to the
press after THAT result at fulham. For me he was a bit of a strange signing
a Championship striker not good enough for the Premiership.

Underrated

Gary Holt - It really gulls me when old three lungs appears it worst player
and worst teams. I mean come on, this man was as vital to our promotion as
MacKay, Huckerby or Green. If you don''t believe me go and watch the play
off final DVD the man was awesome, I used the call me the championship
answer to Patrick Viera. Granted he looked a bit lost in the premiership -
who did''nt and add in the massive injury shock he had.

Bruce Rioch - Everyone always goes on about the Post Worthington wilderness
this is extremely harsh on Bruce. He was a good manager who helped stabilise
the club after a relegation battle. He turned around a number of careers
notable Roberts and Fleming. Brought in some good players MacKay and Mulryne.
And helped some talented youngsters develop Bellamy, Russell and Kenton.
In fact i''d say if it wasn''t for a rash of awful injuries he may have had a shout
at promotion. By this I mean the season Bellamy did his knee, Mulryne broke his
leg and Eadie missed the first two months and then was sold. I read recently
he quit because he was told he would have to sell Bellamy to balance the books
so he left for Wigan a club with more ambition. I think if he had oversee the
ITV digital collapse which made the Championship a level playing field almost
overnight he may not have left.

Ulf, Holt was the best player on the pitch on either side in the play-off final. He was magnificent. And if my memory serves, he played with a broken bone in his foot. His powers waned with age and illness, but i''ll always remeber him fondly for that performance.   

Agree with the Holt thing. Absolutely astounded how short people''s memories are when they slate him. He was incredible for us, the best player and imagine what that team (Rivers, Easton, Sutch, Llewellyn, Abbey, Mulryne etc) would have been without him.

Svensson, entirely disagree. Not over-rated. In fact, not rated highly enough IMHO. Ok - he was nothing spectacular (apart from the odd fabulous goal like Charlton, and that chip in the Promotion winning season), but his link up play enabled the team to go forward. We had a very attacking team in that Championship season (Matty playing with Hucks, McKenzie, Cooper and Francis) and without someone holding up the ball we would have been stuffed.

Great player, and we miss him badly now. Svensson and Earnshaw would be a great pairing.

over recent years I think that Cooper and Harper, both loan players I think, were pretty useful and we should of kept hold of them. People always mention Hucks and Crouch but fail to recognise Harper as the third loanee that played his part in our promotion. I always thought Easton got more abuse than he deserved too, the same can be said for Rivers, too lazy, but a waste of natural ability in my mind. I agree with Holt, a legend, he gets too much abuse.

Over rated, Green maybe, looked average over recent seasons. Going back a few years i''m going to go for Steve Bruce, never rated him, of course he''s ahad a good career but I always had him down as an average center back.

also disagree with svensson i really rated him, especially in the second half of the promotion season and got som crucial goals for us. i always mckenzie was over rated. worked hard but never really looked like a quality player and never had a prolific or even an above average goal scoring record. mcveigh always seemed under rated after being top scorer for us one year and then fading away and ending up as a frindge player the next year, although i dnt really remember i think he was injured wasnt he

Cracking post Ulf!

There seems to be no reason why Safri can be so good on occasions but others so ineffective. If there was a thread on here for the ''most frustratingly inconsistant player ever'' I would vote for him!

Gary Holt was an amazing player for us, he looked out of his depth sometimes in the Premiership but I always believed a lot of that was because he was fighting a lone battle when the rest of the midfield went hiding!

Bruce Rioch was a good manager for us, he brought in a lot of good things to improve players fitness and you are right about the players he brought to the club and how many players improved while he was here. I believe he left because of lack of resources to bring players in and just selling players to balance the books. He was unlucky the season Bellamy did his knee, if that hadn''t happened I am sure we would have at least made the playoffs because Bellamy and Roberts were on course to score over 40 goals between them.

[quote user="Ulf Ottosson"]

Overrated

Youssef Safri - My opinion of Safri is that he''s good, sometimes very good
it''s just he never does enough he rarely takes games by the throat and
really dominates them. Plus his performance against Burnley was perhaps the
worst given by a Norwich midfield player since Sutch.

[/quote]

I agree, how many good games has safri had for us since the start of last season, the answer is not many. He was given cult status because of 1 goal, (by me included) , but his performances last season after Xmas in particualr and this season bar 2 games have been distictly average.

My other Overated player is Doherty, I would never have given him POTS last year, just look at the goals we shipped. Ok, doherty makes alot of good crucial tackles but this is mainly due to him losing his man in the first place. His positioning in my view is poor and he gives away far to many needless free kicks. We''ve seen in the last 2 games, examples of how bad doherty can be!

UNDERATED

Drury

Drury is seen as a good player, but with him you dont realise exactly what you have untill he''s gone. He is pacey, strong, good in the air and on the ground, and also gives us an attacking option from defence. (he hasnt got an allergy to the attacking third). He is 10x better than boyle and is a key memner of our team not just a solid one.

Over-rated:

Rob Green. Green is a good keeper, but last season he was average (ok a bad defence didn''t help, but still average). We got a very good deal with him.

Dean Ashton. Again, a good player, when he wants to be. Last season he showed no will or determination to play for Norwich, thus he scored only a handful of goals. 7.5 million for him was a completey unbelievable deal for us.

Paul McVeigh. Any fan that says he should be in the starting XI should be wheeled away to the funny farm. Shows no passion, no commitment, no desire, should be sold at the earliest opputunity.

Under-rated:

Darren Huckerby (from a Premiership point of view). He is an excellant player, no-way should he be in a championship side (a side like Charlton, Wigan, etc he''d do well for).

Paul Gallagher. Some of the saves he makes are first rate. His positioning, decison making, etc are all excellant.

Agreed with somethings said above.

Holt was excelent in the championship and i think we have missed him at times but i think it was glaringly obvious to all that in the Premiership he was shocking. Wish he was here now though.

Svensson was a frustrating player, on his day he was superb and could change a game, but he didnt have his game very often and his lacklustre performances led to him being singled out often than not. He could be Ronaldo one week and Ronald McDonald the next!

as for an underrated player, Jean Yves De-Blasiis, got injured after some excellent perofrmances for5 us and actually looked pretty good when he did play, he could pass, he could tackle and for a small player could jump well... Oned ofHamiltons only decent signings and a shame we let him go

jas :)

Jas, so right about De Blassiss - he had class, which none of the other players in that team had!

Disagree that Drury is under-rated, I think we''ve got that one about right. He always loses his man, doesn''t get forward enough and has no leadership skills needed in defence. BUT he can tackle like a demon, good strength and determination and is very consistent.

Gallacher????? You''re having a laugh. Apart from the fact that he flaps at every ball coming into the area, I supppose he''s alright. But we''re already missing Greeno I reckon.

[quote user="Matt Hudson"]

UNDERATED

Drury

Drury is seen as a good player, but with him you dont realise exactly what you have untill he''s gone. He is pacey, strong, good in the air and on the ground, and also gives us an attacking option from defence. (he hasnt got an allergy to the attacking third). He is 10x better than boyle and is a key memner of our team not just a solid one.

[/quote]

Disagree! Drury is Overated IMO

His positioning is Awful! he is constantly caught in the middle of the box instead of out wide tracking the winger and making the tackle. he is lightweight, shirks out of challenges and costs us countless goals on the left hand side of defence. he is too "mild mannered" when at times he should be putting an oppoenent on his arse. and when Captain he is too quiet, doesnyt encourage or criticise and cant lead.

Im willing to bet hed be back up in a large number of championship squads

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

as for an underrated player, Jean Yves De-Blasiis, got injured after some excellent perofrmances for5 us and actually looked pretty good when he did play, he could pass, he could tackle and for a small player could jump well... Oned ofHamiltons only decent signings and a shame we let him go

[/quote]

I agree with you about Jean Yves De-Blasiis, I always rated him too! He got a cruciate knee injury when he was here and although he did play again he wasn''t given a new contract and I think he went back to France.

I think it was Rioch who gave him a contract.

I think the ''Blarneymeisters'' best signing was McVeigh.

I was impressed with the ammount we got from Leicester for Lee Marshall - the clearly over rated him

VOTTA

Re Ashton...

THIS IS ABSOLUTE B*LL*CKS!! Dean Ashton is one of the best players to have played for us in the past 10 years. The fact we didn''t play to his strengths cannot undermine his ability as a footballer. If you would have asked Chris Sutton to have chase long hopeful balls into the channels for 90 minutes, would you be of the same opinion of Sutton? Ashton is an intelligent player who actually plays football and wants the ball played to his feet - the fact he played with (whilst at NCFC) players that were below his ability, both mentally and physically should not be held against him (look at his form since playing for West-Ham).

People on this board harp on about the ''Sutton factor'' and how he should have been signed whilst a free agent. Yes, I agree, but do not criticise the players that have graced the yellow and green jersey when in fact we were lucky to have ever acquired such a player.

Dean Ashton will be prove to be a better player, both domestically and internationally, than Chris Sutton has ever been............ that''s not talking nonsense, it''s fact!

Rant over... [:O]

[quote user="Disco"]

VOTTA

Re Ashton...

THIS IS ABSOLUTE B*LL*CKS!! Dean Ashton is one of the best players to have played for us in the past 10 years. The fact we didn''t play to his strengths cannot undermine his ability as a footballer. If you would have asked Chris Sutton to have chase long hopeful balls into the channels for 90 minutes, would you be of the same opinion of Sutton? Ashton is an intelligent player who actually plays football and wants the ball played to his feet - the fact he played with (whilst at NCFC) players that were below his ability, both mentally and physically should not be held against him (look at his form since playing for West-Ham).

People on this board harp on about the ''Sutton factor'' and how he should have been signed whilst a free agent. Yes, I agree, but do not criticise the players that have graced the yellow and green jersey when in fact we were lucky to have ever acquired such a player.

Dean Ashton will be prove to be a better player, both domestically and internationally, than Chris Sutton has ever been............ that''s not talking nonsense, it''s fact!

Rant over... [:O]

[/quote]

Please read my post! As I said, Ashton is a good player. However, his attitude let him down for us. For this reason I believe that he is over-rated. Anybody wanting to become good in any walk of life must have the attitude to match his ability. Please read posts carefully before calling them b*ll*cks!

what about if we go back a few years,

over rated; Andy Townsend - I thought he was great at the time but he is a bit of an a-hole now, too fat and not that good, his punditry is average too.

Underrated;  Ian Culverhouse, did he ever socre? I think he socred once? taught me everything I know about sliding tackles! I think you could include the whole defence from this era, Linigham, Butterworth and Bowen, the classic Norwich back four, never been topped.

That''s true Marty and Andy Townsend is by a mile the most odious pundit in football. I hate his dress sense (or lack of any) and his smug greasy, pock marked fizzog.

He was a FINE player though, Marty. If he had stuck around a little longer, he would make my "all time" team every time.