Sign in to follow this  
Pete Raven

The Greatest NCFC Goal Vote

Put me down for Goss v Leeds. Seem to remember that build-up started down at our end by the corner flag and great passing movement ended with unstoppable jerry volley. Elland road patrons were stunned (I think we were already 2 or 3 up by that stage) and then broke out into generous applause. Felt PROUD.
Is there going to be a video produced of all the nominees? perhaps the sainted Delia could be persuaded to open an envelope and announce the winner at the video''s climax?

Gotta be Goss''s goal at leeds...they were the days, premiership football......hopefully the long wait will soon be over?!!!

Jerry Goss, at Leeds, was one of the best ever team goals I can recall.

The passing and movement, starting from the right back, finishing with Ruel''s cross from the left, smashed in by Jerry, was something else.

I was there, in with the Leeds supporters, in the Main Stand, and couldn''t help jumping out of my seat at the time. Even the Leeds supporters around me were applauding. What an afternoon that was.

Always remember that Match of the Day cut out the majority of the build up when they showed it in their Goal of the Month competition, much to my annoyance at the time.

The best NCFC goal was by Roger Gibbins against Birmingham, can''t remember the year, the game was nil-nil and City could not get the ball past the Birmingham keeper, he was looking un-beatable, then a Norwich move of about 10 passes (Kevin Bond was involved in two of them!) was finished by Roger from the penalty spot with the best volley ever, straight into the top corner. It was the type of goal that you would marry, beautiful and perfect. I think we won one-nil but I can''t remeber any of the match after the goal.

Does anyone else remeber it? I''m sure my memory is correct. I was hoping to see it on the 100 great City goals video I got for Xmas but it wasn''t on.

Don''t forget Malcolm Allen''s lob against mighty Sutton Utd, 88-89

Or Flecky''s volley into the roof of the net from outside the area against Chelsea at Stamford Bridge, which caused Dave Stringer to call him "the best volleyer of the ball I''ve ever seen"

But despite Jerry Goss''s various heroics, my vote goes to Rosario against Southampton, for the sheer irony of the big man scoring his (Only) Goal of the Season - with his left foot!

I think I can remember the Roger Gibbins goal v. Birmingham. He was always one of my favourite players because of his work rate and attitude. Roger did well to make a living from the game for so long as he was never endowed with the kind of natural gifts that some players have. I recall the finish but not the build-up. I think that it came at the end of a fairly ordinary game that we hadn''t really looked like winning so it was all the more sweet when it went in. It was at the Barclay End - I think he also got a great diving header down that end against somebody.

Daryl Sutch''s goal at Ewood Park, 99/00 season, great striker to the near post!!!!

Ok...here is a great goal everyone has missed...

I remember Mark Bowan scoring a screamer from about 35 yards away to Sheff Wed. I think it was 93/94 although not sure. Can anyone else help me out here?

Shades of the prediction league DDIM! I''ve got an intro and photos sorted. Will sort out the vote in a week''s time, I think I''ve got all the main ones, but you''ll never satisfy everyone. Just got home from the game - missed the first goal, plus I''m working this weekend. Lovely...

I have already suggested it somewhere else on this site, but for pure entertainment Vinnie Jones volleyed own goal. Class.

going a bit off track

but the goal which wins us promotion this year!!

whoever scores it will be an absolute legend for decades to come

history is all very nice, but it is NOW that counts and getting back to some decent footie next year!!

it would be fitting for DH to score it, as he has been the reason we are up there more than anyone, but i will take anyone, in any position, tap in, header, even off the arse

get your shooting boots on boys :-)