Sign in to follow this  
Pete Raven

The Greatest NCFC Goal Vote

Post your nominations here (player, date, opponents, venue) and I''ll set up a voting page with the top 10 or 15 candidates...

Suggestions so far include:

Jeremy Goss Vs Leeds 1993/94. That volley.

Darren Eadie Vs Sunderland around 96/97. 40 yard lob over a stranded keeper.

Marc Libbra Vs Man City 2001/02. That debut wonder-goal.

Robert Rosario Vs Southampton - Goal of the Season. 1989/90.

Justin Fashanu Vs Liverpool

Darren Huckerby Vs Wimbledon 2003/04.

Nedergaard Vs Coventry 2002/03. 35-yard rocket at Carrow Road.

McVeigh Vs Derby (away) 2002/03. Curling long-range effort.

McVeigh Vs Wolves 2001/02 which started with Libbra''s flick-on.

Greg Downs Vs Huddersfield in the FA Cup. 1980s.

Fleck Vs Swindon in the first game of the season a few years back when he ran on to a long ball and lashed one into the Barclay goal.

Fleck Vs Millwall 1988/89, shades of Fashanu against Liverpool, on edge of area, turned, flicked ball up and belted it into the corner for a 3-2 win.

Any others?

lets put one in for xxl - daryl sutch vs sunderland at SoL a few years back might of been 96/97 or 97/98 but i know i have it on vid somewhere could play by city through ball sutch ran on and cooly slotted it home. good goal
Where is steve bruce header against them down the road?
Mcveigh at derby how could i forget that one

Are we talking about the actual quality of the goal, or its significance? Or maybe a combination of the two?

One of my personal favourites, a little bit obscure, but.....

Mark Bowen v Chelsea (1989/90) - Ian Crook played that superb little chipped pass with the outside of his foot, Bowen ran onto it and half-volleyed it into the top corner of the River End goal past Beasant (I think). Great finish, but what a pass from Chippy!

As for the loudest I''ve ever cheered for a Norwich goal, it has to be Goss''s equaliser at home to Bayern - wow...

Oh and ANY goal by Robert Fleck has to be up there if you ask me!

OTBC

Without a Doubt;

Justin Fashanu vs Liverpool.

Peter

Two more Goss specials:

No mention of the first goal away at Bayern, still brings hairs to the back of my neck.

Goss away at Liverpool May 94?- last ever game in front of the Kop. 30 yard power shot right in front of the Kop end. Stunned Anfield into silence. We won 1-0.

Nedergaard Vs Coventry 2002/03. 35-yard rocket at Carrow Road.
defently!
that screamer must be a once of from a defender!

Matt Svensson v Burnley 2004 - that second goal of his was a wonder to behold, from beginning to end.........

Just a thought, my personal choice would be Jerry Goss v Leeds, what a goal that was.....but then, the one he scored in front of the last ever standing Kop wasn''t bad either.

I''m amazed that Bellamy hasn''t been mentioned as yet......

For the most complete, team goal, build up, finish and all, McVeigh vs Wolves at CR 2001/2.
Nedergaard feeds Libbra from right back, Libbra flicks sublimely into the path of an in form Rivers (oh for those days!), skins his maker and delivers perfectly for McVeigh to slam into the roof of the net on the half volley for his customary goal v Wolves! I watched that over and over!!

Agree with Tumbleweed also - one can not possibly compile a list of great city goals without THAT Goss volley versus Bayern!!
I''ve still yet to see a goal scored from that far out where the keeper doesn''t even move!!
BANG - Get in!!

The name Bellamy set off a memory of him scoring from THE most ridiculous of angles, at Carrow Road. Who was that against?

Keeper came right out of the side of his area, Bellers skinned him and somewhere around Matt Etherington''s favourite corner quadrant hit a left-footer along the ground just inside the near post and over the goal-line.

Brilliant!

But Goss v Munchen would get my vote for style AND significance.

Good call by Tumbleweed on Goss''s goal in front of the Kop (last EVER goal in front of the Kop I might add!). Also good call by Mook with Bellers illigally tight angled goal in front of the Barclay. Was going to put that in the original thread as a third option but couldn''t remember who it was against of the year. I''ve got a feeling it was on the final home game of a season? Might be wrong there though.

However, I''m still with the Goss stunner against Leeds.

Steve Bruce 1985 Milk Cup semi final - anyone remember who it was against?

I''m to young to remember our time in Europe or the Milk Cup final, so I''m going to have to say Darren Huckerby, in his last game on loan with us against Cardiff, 2004 obviously!

After seeing Di Canio win greatest Premiership goal for his volley against Wimbeldon for West Ham, I''d say the greatest goal has got to be Huckerby''s against Wimbledon - the swirling wind and length of pass made it a far more skillful finish - awesome.

robert fleck volley v west ham league cup 91/92
ball dropped edge of box flecky hit on volley
whistled in top corner keeper didnt move stood
in the barcley right behind it top draw

martin o''neil screamer v liverpool away 82/83
when we become first side to take 6 pts of em in
a season

or any goal scored by a norwich player in any game
however with whatever anyhow :~)

The list so far is:

Fashanu v Liverpool (h) 79/80
Downs v Cambridge 80/81
O''Neill v Liverpool (a) 1980s
Bruce v Ipswich (h) 84/85
Watson v Oldham (a) 85/86
Fleck v Millwall (a) 88/89
Rosario v Southampton (h) 89/90
Fleck v West Ham (h) 91/92
Phillips v Crystal Palace (a) 92/93
Goss v Leeds (a) 93/94
Goss v Bayern Munich (a) 93/94
Goss v Liverpool (a) 93/94
Fleck v Swindon (h) 96/97
Eadie v Sunderland (h) 97/98
Roberts v Ipswich (a) 99/00
Bellamy v Sheff Utd (h) 99/00
Llewellyn v Sheff Utd (h) 00/01
Libbra v Man City (h) 01/02
McVeigh v Wolves (h) 01/02
Nedergaard v Coventry (h) 02/03
McVeigh v Derby (a) 02/03
McVeigh v Millwall (h) 03/04
Huckerby v Wimbledon (a) 03/04

Could do with some from the 1960s to 1980s...

The best team goal I can remember Norwich scoring was Fleck''s 1st vs Man Utd at Carrow Road in 1990 (I think). We won 2-0 and it was live on ITV. We must have kept the ball for about a minute until it ended up in the back of the net.

Also worth a mention, Dave Phillips vs Crystal Palace 1992 - scissor kick

Best Novelty Goal: Eadie vs Tranmere (a) 96/97 (or maybe 97/98), in the fog. Did ANYONE actually see it!?!?!

Wot no Ian Crook, Chippy used to score some crackers.

Also would chip ball forward to Mark Bowen to score more crackers.

Re: Darren Beckford''s Right Foot

That was a great goal! I remember Brian Moore''s commentary, too:

''Is he going to try one from long range?! No... He''s gonna try one from short range!''

Brilliant!

And I remember he hit a volley over Leighton that crashed back off the bar a few minutes before he scored the one you mention. Greavsie was co-commentating, and he said how much we deserved it.

Then there was a shot of Alex Ferguson after Fleck got his second, and Moore said how much pressure he was under, and how one more defeat could spell the end for him at United! Bet their board are glad they stuck with him now...?!

Looks like most of you don''t go back further than the 80''s. Terry Bly v Man U in the FA Cup 3rd Round, January 1959. Quote from Canary Crusade "But it was the third goal, two minutes from time, that set the seal on this great performance. Bly cut in from the left, brushed off Cope''s challenge as if he didn''t exist, to crash in a drive that had even Gregg (MU goalie) applauding" - and I was there (aged 9)
P.S. has any body got a decent copy of the aforementioned Canary Crusade (a special EDP review of the famous cup run). My copy has seen better days. The original cost 2 Shillings but I''d be prepared to pay double that for a better copy.

That O''Neill goal was a total screamer - how could that one be forgotten.

Surely someone must have a Bertschin special occupying a special place in their hearts - and any Micky Channon goal was worth the ticket price alone for the windmill arms!

No-one has mentioned one of the most important goals in City''s history - Andy Linighan for Arsenal that got us into Europe - without whom there would be no Jerry Goss screamers at Bayern...I remember listening to that game on the radio and running around my flat like a loon when Linighan scored!

darren beckfords right foot if you read my post right i said i stood behind it
ment i stood inline with flecky behind him in the barcley when he hit it as it was scored
agreed in the river end :) ps another great goal was andy townsends screamer for 2-1
away at old trafford 88/89 season

Kevin Drinkell v Liverpool at home early 80s?

Was only a boy but remember it crashing past Groblear from a tight angle

MPFN - well 59 was before my time (not that far though!) but i''m sure there must be some great goals in history that none of us on here have seen. As for being prepared to go to 4 shillings for a copy - steady on old chap - I wouldn''t go more than 3s6d myself.

PS - Gad I wasn''t the only one - a great moment in NCFC history!

As for another - even though it was bit of a freak goal - how about Paddons free kick from the half way line in early/mid 70''s - I think it was Man City or Palace (funny strip with the diagonal band across it). I was standing right behind him at the front of the South Stand aged about 8 or 9 I suppose but its so far back I''m a little hazy!