Sign in to follow this  
Baldyboy

dohertys words

on the official site doherty states " i was awful at plymouth!" but i''ll bet the worthless one wont drop him! he should be left out as he has had a poor few games imo along with shackell but as usual shax is the scapegoat!!

He had one bad game, Shackel has had more than one, also, Doherty has experience, I would not drop him.

I will get laughed at by the usual suspects as usual, but Shax was said to have said "he doesnt like me" about Worthington a couple of years back.

And yes, Shacks and McVeigh have been regular scapegoats.  If Simon Charlton is to be beleived Worthy has his favorites who can do not wrong *Holtycough*.

Having said that McVeigh looks to be making certain he doesn''t save the managers job this season with some diabolical performances.

[quote user="baldyboy"]on the official site doherty states " i was awful at plymouth!" but i''ll bet the worthless one wont drop him! he should be left out as he has had a poor few games imo along with shackell but as usual shax is the scapegoat!![/quote]

Shackell had 3 poor games before he was dropped and my guess (and that''s what all this is - speculation) is that he was in his phase of needing to be pulled down a peg or two - he strikes me as very cocky.

What is your actual opinion on the subject, CJF?

I''m not interested in who said what or why, I''ve said many things myself, and if someone wheeled out those quotes I would be rather embarrassed.

Who do you think is playing worse, Doherty or Shackell? One of them deserved to be dropped, if only to freshen things up and keep them on their toes.

Who do you think it should be?

I would say Shackell every time. The Doc has been rock solid except for falling apart at Plymouth.

Have had the chance to meet to some of the palyers at colney recently after there training and met some on signings with my little son in shop before, and i think shacks was a quite type of person did not come across cocky at all.Seems very strange that when shacks is not playing docs perforemance goes down hill very quickly perhaps we do not give certain players credit for what they do in 90 mins.

[quote user="Mook"]

I''m not interested in who said what or why, I''ve said many things myself, and if someone wheeled out those quotes I would be rather embarrassed.

Who do you think is playing worse, Doherty or Shackell? One of them deserved to be dropped, if only to freshen things up and keep them on their toes.

I would say Shackell every time. The Doc has been rock solid except for falling apart at Plymouth.

[/quote]

CJF is an impartial journo and as such doesn''t really have an opinion [8-|]

Shackell is a young player still learning the game. If we were a big club we could send him out on loan to make mistakes for someone else as he learns his trade but we don''t have a big enough squad to do that.

I wouldn''t have dropped him even though he has made a few mistakes. Everybody has to make mistakes before they can learn from them. Even if the mistakes cost us points I think persevering with Shackell is the way forward.

one bad game? he gives away countless freekicks just outside the box and is not the quality player he thinks! thats why he has been dropped by rep of ireland for players that cant even get in their first teams like andy o''brien! at no time does he say i would expect to be dropped because like too many players at city who perform poorly he appears undroppable whereas others have one bad game and they are dropped! see how many free kicks he gives away on sunday as i doubt he will be dropped.

[quote user="Mook"]

[/quote]Agree Mook the doc has been very solid at home ,as for Shacks he has been a bit shacky at times and had to be the one dropped out of the 2 IMO.

Very interesting line of thought. Often we hear of  ''fall outs''  between manager and player......i.e. Van Nistelknob (Man U), Koumas (West Brom) etc etc.

How many times as youth players did we see rubbish kids playing every week while a good kid never got picked? How many times at school did the ''A'' grade student with two left feet become captain of the school team? It will be no different at professional club level and with Worthington it is so blatant.

Players at any level will not perform when they witness such favouritism and discrimination going on ...whether it affects them directly or their pals. Equally those in favour (Becks for England) will feel superior and become intolerably arrogant. Worthington will be despised by certain players who have to keep quiet........but can we believe it will not affect their play on matchday?

I''m not a big fan of Doherty, but he can be an asset when he is awake and alert. I think the Championship is just about his level. Plenty of high balls, and mostly predictable strikers.Trouble is, he tends to drift off a bit. That''s when he finds himself at the back post, marking nobody, and lo and behold the ball bounces off him into our net. To cries of  "D''oh!".However, I have to remind myself that he is still fairly young at 26 (though he looks 36) so he will still be learning too.

[quote user="Mook"]

[/quote]

Without Shackell we looked desperate at the back by all accounts, would I have dropped him?? Probably not, we don''t have strong enough backup,  If Fleming is going to come in for anybody I would rather it was the Doc as he is weaker than Shax in the air but as you say the doc had been playing OK..

As for the Doc, I don''t think he is strong enough in set piece situations, we have suffered from this most of last season also.  Shackell probably helps in this area.  I will not forget Leon Cort beating the Doc to the ball both home and away to score for Hull last year.