Sign in to follow this  
Siva

Lee Hughes

Hi all.

This is my first ever message. Thought the time had come to share my thoughts over something which has been bugging me for a while !

How come Lee Hughes is still playing football ? What has happened to his case ? How many other of us would be fortunate enough to still be in employment after something like this had happened ? Surely at best he should have been suspended by the club until the court case.

Yesterday Lee Hughes scores the late winner for you know who to keep them level on points with us at the summit. This really riles me ! To be honest I never liked the guy anyway so maybe it''s just a case of sour grapes on my part ? What do the rest of you think ?

Hi Siva, and welcome.

Excellent first post and something i was going to post myself but never got round to. What makes me laugh is that Rio Ferdinand gets banned for 8 months for taking a late drugs test(which he passed), yet mr Hughes is just allowed to carry on playing. I think it''s disgusting, the poor victims family must be devestated every time they see his name in the papers or on the telly scoring important goals and reeling away with a huge smile on his face.

Yeah I agree. Something fishy going on. And as for his beard, well...

Think about Norwich and Carl Bradshaw. No stain allowed on the clubs character. But with West Brom its kick and clog their way to the Premiership no matter who plays for them. Who they gonna sign next, Vinny Jones and Jason Statham?

This has been getting up my nose as well, so thanks for the thread. I was thinking of posting something similiar but thought the moderators would block it as there is a court case pending.

When you think of how many late winners he''s scored since the aledged incident it makes you spit. As a driver I wonder if, God forbid, I was in similiar circumstances, I would be afforded the same delay in my court case, I think not!.

Two words, it stinks!.

I''m watching this thread very closely and have edited most of the posts in it. All views on Mr Hughes are welcome but try not to throw too many accusations around please. Innocent until proven guilty and all that.

It seems a lot of us have been thinking "what happened to his case?" since he has started popping up with a lot of important late goals. We might be six or seven points clear by now if he wasn''t playing.
There''s obviously a large backlog of cases in West Brom - no surprise there then! But it''s a difficult one because if he''s waiting for the case to go to court the club have a strong argument in letting him play until he is proven guilty or otherwise. Morally it is highly questionable but when it comes to football, and the difference between div 1 and the premier, morals are unfortunately not going to figure large.

I think that the problem West Brom have is that until he''s been convicted of anything then if they did suspend him he may arguably be able to take legal action against them. However i''m glad someone has brought this up as its been annoying the hell out of me too. He''s scored at least 4 or 5 late goals in the last couple of months that have won games for Albion and without them we could have been clear of them already. It leaves a bad taste in the mouth but i guess the biggest disgrace is that it takes the best part of a year for such a case to go to trial.

Interesting that he got bail though having already fled from the scene of the accident at the time it happened. Such circumstances are usually held againt you when the court decides whether to grant bail or not.

Yes this Lee Hughes business has really bugged me too.Of course hes innocent until proven guilty but the facts remain that on Nov 24th 2003 Mr Hughes was involved in a car crash just after midnight in which a 60year old man was killed and his wife was badly injured.Mr Hughes fled the scene and dissappeared and didnt hand himself in until 36hours later.He went to court on Feb 6th and denied the charges and elected a trial by jury at Crown Court,a case which has yet still to be heard.The man who was killed has left behind a wife,4 children and 4 grand children just imagine how they are feeling when they see pictures of him celebrating a goal. The facts remain that if it was one of us, who couldnt afford the very best and expensive solictors that money could buy, the case would have been heard by now and we would have been found innocent or guilty based on the evidence submitted.
6 months to hear a case like this makes a complete mockery of the legal system in this country.
Ive chosen my words very carefully moderators,just pure fact and no speculation or recriminations(facts taken from the local Birmingham paper archives)

I must admit this has annoyed me a little too. I am aware that I must be careful what I say for legal reasons but considering the severity of the allegations (and I''m sure you all have views on these), I am amazed he is allowed to carry on playing football. It must awful for the family members to see his grinning face after scoring goals. This seems tasteless to me. Yes I know he is awaiting the court case, and this highlights how messed up our legal system is, but the allegations are so serious that he should not be carrying on a normal sports start life style. I can think of many walks of life where this would not be deemed acceptible, so what are the excpetions in this case?