Sign in to follow this  
Yellow Shrimper

Here's a different scenario . . .

Sunday, despite the protests, City are 2-0 up after 10 minutes against Burnley thanks to a clumsy, fortuitous own-goal & a lively run down the right by Croft which leads to a pin-point cross, it finds Etuhu''s head who''s lay-off lands before Earnshaw who blasts it home from 10 yards. 2-0 at half time, a clumsy tackle by the Burnley central defender results in his being sent off, & against a dispirited 10 man Burnley, and with Huckerby coming off the bench, Norwich run riot in the last 20 minutes to win 5-0 with the fans'' enthusiastic singing ringing in their ears. Lifted by this excellent win they go to the Hawthorns & grind out a slightly lucky 1-0 victory. A home game against table topping Cardiff is enough to lift the Canaries to put on a sparkling performance & they win 2-0. Against Colchester they are far less impressive but they scramble home 3-2 & with 12 points out of 12 they''re back in the play-off positions. There''s less talk of managerial change. A mixed bag of results until Christmas means that the flirt with the fringes of the play-off positions but 3 new signings in January, a striker & central defender amongst them, help to cement a good run of results in the New Year & they end the season in 5th position. Two tough battles against, amazingly, 4th placed Wolves again, end with the Canaries being victorious and again they head to Cardiff. Luton, perhaps the season''s suprise packet, are the opposition but after they take a 2-0 lead history repeats itself & City make it a fantastic day for the Canary faithful and take the match 3-2 in extra time. With a little more experience this time, & with a prudently strengthened squad, City do a little better than last time in the Premiership and finish 16th. With cash in the Bank, during the 2008-09 the Canaries are finally becoming a Premiership force to be reckoned with and battle for a place in Europe. Looking back the board are glad that, in an apparently bleak Autumn of 2006 they decided, eventually, against managerial change. And it all started with a thrilling 5-0 win against Burnley.

Ofcourse we could just all put our energy in to engineering our team''s defeat on Sunday, to hasten  the dismissal of our manager. That would be much more productive wouldn''t it?

and in a motnhs time after 4 straight defetas (including a 3-0 Loss at portman road) the board will be wishing that they had Sacked Worthy in Autumn 2006 rather than fannying about in Winter 2006

jas :)

What a great dream you had. The trouble with your post is that you could repeat the gist of it almost any time before it becomes mathematically impossible for us to make the play-offs. It aint going to happen!!

It''s nice, Shrimper, it really is. I used to think like that, until Plymouth I had followed an optimistic line of thought, but that abject display finally flipped me. I just cannot imagine that scenario any more, the repeated failures have ground me down to bare-bones realism. The miracle won''t happen, there is no Father Christmas (sorry, Rudolph, I have no idea who that jolly, bearded man outside the pub was!) and Nigel should leave now.Don''t be a Tony Blair, accept it''s over and retain what affection you can from the fans - if you stay it will drag everyone down.Anyway, Shrimper, I thought it was QPR & Brum between Burnley & Cardiff, not West Brom!

[quote user="Fat Barman"]It''s nice, Shrimper, it really is. I used to

think like that, until Plymouth I had followed an optimistic line of

thought, but that abject display finally flipped me. I just cannot

imagine that scenario any more, the repeated failures have ground me

down to bare-bones realism. The miracle won''t happen, there is no

Father Christmas (sorry, Rudolph, I have no idea who that jolly,

bearded man outside the pub was!) and Nigel should leave now.Don''t

be a Tony Blair, accept it''s over and retain what affection you can

from the fans - if you stay it will drag everyone down.Anyway, Shrimper, I thought it was QPR & Brum between Burnley & Cardiff, not West Brom![/quote]

Yes Fat Barman, you''re quite right, I did this in a rush before leaving

work & should have checked the fixture list; I just wanted to throw

in something with a positive mood, amongst all the doom & gloom. In

fact I think I also omitted an away trip to Stoke. Like you, Plymouth

has had a  marked affect on my attitude, I am not actually

preaching what the board should do, I do believe, however, that fans

should always try to bring the best out of the team  - let the

board make the tough decisions (or the shareholders if they consider

the board is failing). See you at the bar, I''ll say hello next time I''m

in

[quote user="Fat Barman"]Anyway, Shrimper, I thought it was QPR & Brum between Burnley & Cardiff, not West Brom![/quote]Brum...Brom, who cares? - they''re all from the midlands and talk funny ;o)

While I accept that Yellow Shrimper''s scenario may sound fanciful it isn''t necessarily THAT fanciful. Just a couple of examples which illustrate that things like that CAN happen.

Only this season Ipswich under new manager Jim Magilton got off to a disastrous start, losing their first 4 games and then drawing 0-0 at home against Hull, the only team at the time who had as few points as them. Five games later and Town haven''t lost since and are above us in the table.

In 1992 under pressure Manchester United manager Alex Ferguson (he wasn''t a Sir at the time) was widely believed to be only one game away from the sack, following 6 (yes six) years in charge during which time United had only mounted one serious challenge for the League title. He clung on to his job - 8 Premier League titles, 4 FA Cups, 1 League Cup and 1 European Cup later and nobody''s talking about sacking him anymore and he''s a Knight of the realm.

Obviously I''m not saying that such a turnaround WILL happen with Worthy, but footy is a funny game and much stranger things have happened!

Yellow Shrimper,

I like your ambition, and good to here someone being positive about Norwich City FC, and wanting to support the club when things are not going well.

We need more postive support of NCFC and without this support  Norwich City FC will continue to slide in the table.

Stop the protest on Sunday and get back to supporting the Club!!!!!

Delia and Michael have put down a two ultimatium to Worthington and the team, so if you really care about NCFC we should all support the club, and not protest

[quote user="Big Ginge"]

Blimey Shrimper!

Can I have some of what you are on please?

[/quote]

Perhaps it''s the happy pills I''m on, mind you the wife''s on the same & she reckons the Palace defeat is the shape of things to come

Shrimper......nice thought, but absolutely no chance, especially as you missed out the two away games at QPR and Birmingham, where I expect us to get NIL points if you know who is still in charge. Would love to know if you go to the away games....if you do, then you must see that there is no way, under the current set up that we will get enough points away from home to make the play offs.

[quote user="Love the club..just hate the manager"]Shrimper......nice thought, but absolutely no chance, especially as you missed out the two away games at QPR and Birmingham, where I expect us to get NIL points if you know who is still in charge. Would love to know if you go to the away games....if you do, then you must see that there is no way, under the current set up that we will get enough points away from home to make the play offs.[/quote]

Yes I do go away, although missed Rotherham, & Plymouth (thankfully). As I''ve said in a subsequent post, I realised I''d missed out on Birmingham away & was going to get away with that by explaining it was abandoned after 63 minutes due to a waterlogged pitch, but when I discovered I''d swapped WBA for QPR & forgotten Stoke away I accepted that any similar creative explanations would be stretching the imagination too far (perhaps my sub-conscious was hiding away those scary away matches). I can''t argue with anybody who predicts an unsuccessful season, due in no small part to poor away form - I too was disillusioned after the poor performance at Plymouth, on top of Coventry & Southend. If I had to stake my life on whether we can turn this around with the present team/management I would go for ''no'', but funny things can happen, I believe there is a thin line between success & failure, especially where play-off qualification concerned. My message to the supporters, or any that would care to listen - keep the options open, isn''t there an argument for wanting a team that''s winning even if you don''t rate the manager rather than hoping for defeat (i.e.on Sunday against Burnley) & a further slide down the league table, in the hope that, as a result, the manager will be driven out. We, as supporters, are of course quite entitled to express our views/dissatifaction to the club/board but this should I believe be kept away from match days when, in my opinion, it is in the fans'' interest to get behind the team & go for victory. Then  . . . who knows? The only certain thing is that nobody knows for certain 

Ahh YS, I love your sentiment. What a scenario it would be [:D]

Personally, I just want a successful football club that isn''t in danger of going out of business. I want games to be played in great atmospheres where the opposition know that City''s united fans will give them a hard time all game. And away, 2k yellow shirts with OTBC ringing around all grounds - roots hall to Molineux.Old Trafford to Craven Cottage.

Personally, and I know this can be argued with, Sunday isn''t going to be pretty and I think that''s a real shame. Protests are best served when they come down to survival and, yes I''m sure many think Worthy will ultimately send us to the conference, but if now was a matter of the club''s survival, would the protests not be aimed at the Board?

But then I''m romantic about it. I hate being at Carrow Road when it''s not about the game I''ve come to watch, or rather City beating the team that they''re facing.

I also think people need to seriously think about what the want. Alan Curbishly WILL NOT come to Carrow Road as manager, unless he defies all logic. He left Charlton because he was bored of the challenge. After proving himself to that degree, why on earth would he ever risk all that again? He''s already turned down West Brom. If he''s turned them down, he''s not going to come here I''m afraid. I''m not advocating ''no change'' for the sake of it. But people also have to be realistic about the colour of the grass on the other side...

I think I''ve put just about all of my points on the club in this one post, so I''m sorry to ramble. I could''ve started a new thread for each, but that would be rediculous... wouldn''t it?..... [8-)]

Carry on!

Here''s a different scenario.

We beat Burnley, draw at QPR and Worthy clings on. A win, a couple of draws, a loss, backed up by a draw, a loss, a win, a draw, a loss, a draw, a win, a win, a draw, a draw, a loss, a draw, a win.... until the end of the season when we finish twelth. Earnshaw departs, and we can''t afford to offer Hucks a new contract. Safri accepts an offer from overseas. We buy a journeyman Premiership reserves target man to replace Dion who hangs up his boots. The board reaffirm their commitment to Nigel because the football has been better. In the summer, other than the target man, we get one of the Aston Villa first year professionals who didn''t get his contract renewed as our new left winger on a free. "The new Gary Croft" Worthy assures us. McVeigh is not kept.

At the start of next season, the talk is all about how good are youngsters will be because they''ve been blooded this term and have some experience. This buys Worthington some more time as they start the season poorly, but "you caan''t bleem the youngsters in this sittyeeashun, nartmeen?" By Christmas we''re in 15th. A 32 year old centre half arrives from Derby who is brought in for experience, and a young untried midfielder from Charlton on loan for the rest of the season. Unfortunately neither move pays off and City slip into the relegation places with only six games to go. The Board decide that this isn''t the time to let Nigel go, as a new man wouldn''t stand a chance. City win a couple of games and get themselves into a good position to beat the drop before a couple of injuries in the penultimate game means they are forced to go into the relegation decider with a weakened team who put in a creditable gutsy performance that still sees us go down. Buoyed by his success in almost turning it round, the board stick with Nigel.

The next season in League One starts....

Do I have to go on?

Lets stop the rot now shall we?

Perhaps the best outcome is an absolutely appalling match, (quite possible given the two teams on display), and a grotesquely lucky last minute winner for city. Two wins for the price of one.