Sign in to follow this  
canary cherub

Worthy's three biggest successes

[quote user="cluckin-nora"]

Well.......reading this makes me realise why Worthington has been kept in his job for so long and why Delia has been able to pull the wool over the eyes of the easily satisfied.

It''s not about winning what is infact the SECOND DIVISION TITLE....(Championship be buggered), as we won this in the 1970s and 1980s as well. We got into Europe and 3rd in the Premiership in the 1990s plus 3 FA Cup semi-finals between 1959 and 1992. We also won the League Cup in ''62 and ''85, plus a couple of losing finalists in the 1970s.

Are you really happy with such a piddling bit of silverware? How about seeking some sustained progress. One swallow does not make a summer in my book. Small thinking leads to small ambition...............

[/quote]

Yep Nora, we won it in the 70''s and 80''s as well, that''s why I said one of only three managers to have won it. The other two were Ron Saunders and Ken Brown. I didn''t mention those two specifically or the year we finished 3rd in the Premiership, or the Europeon games, or the F.A.Cup Semi''s, or the League Cup wins, because however much you rate Worthy they can''t possibly be any of his three biggest successes.

The clue is in the thread title and I suggest you cluck off to a different one....

I don''t think that you can argue that during his first three years, Worthy did bring success to the club. Certainly the promotion season was his highlight, largely due to the signings of Crouch & Huckerby. These were inspired, and gave the season the kick start it needed to lead us to winning The Championship. Unfortunately in football, that is now light years away from where we are today, and his acheivements since then, have been at best average, and at worst an utter shambles. I think its fair to say, that he has taken us full circle, and is now at the end of his career with Norwich. I just feel its a shame that he has hasn''t got the dignity to admit, that he can take our club no further, and resign. It would be better for him, the club, the supporters, rather then hang around for the inevitable to happen. Maybe I''m cynical, but could this possibly be down to wanting a pay off to go?? I hope not, and still would like to think that he will do the right thing.

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="cluckin-nora"]

Well.......reading this makes me realise why Worthington has been kept in his job for so long and why Delia has been able to pull the wool over the eyes of the easily satisfied.

It''s not about winning what is infact the SECOND DIVISION TITLE....(Championship be buggered), as we won this in the 1970s and 1980s as well. We got into Europe and 3rd in the Premiership in the 1990s plus 3 FA Cup semi-finals between 1959 and 1992. We also won the League Cup in ''62 and ''85, plus a couple of losing finalists in the 1970s.

Are you really happy with such a piddling bit of silverware? How about seeking some sustained progress. One swallow does not make a summer in my book. Small thinking leads to small ambition...............

[/quote]

Yep Nora, we won it in the 70''s and 80''s as well, that''s why I said one of only three managers to have won it. The other two were Ron Saunders and Ken Brown. I didn''t mention those two specifically or the year we finished 3rd in the Premiership, or the Europeon games, or the F.A.Cup Semi''s, or the League Cup wins, because however much you rate Worthy they can''t possibly be any of his three biggest successes.

The clue is in the thread title and I suggest you cluck off to a different one....

[/quote]

nutty, thank you for taking up the baton whilst I was busy doing more important stuff last night. I see you had just as much success. I''ve posted 5 times on this thread and people still don''t seem to get it.

In CJF''s very own words... PATHETIC!

[/quote]

I take it you were unhappy when we won this league for such a piddling bit of silverware?  I guess you barely even raised an eyebrow.

Success is relative - after spending 9 years of being mid to bottom of this league then winning it cannot be undermined.  Preston, Ipswich, Sunderland, Burnley, Huddersfield, Sheffield Wednesday, Wolves, Derby, Leeds and Notts Forest are clubs in the same or a lower league than us and have all won the top division. Do you feel they would be thinking small if the aim for these clubs was to win the Championship?

I agree we need sustained progress and that Worthy should leave but that does not mean he has not achieved anything.  It''s not about small thinking, it''s about not being petty and giving the man his dues for the good things he did for the club in the past.

[quote]

Is this a joke?

If the last two are part of  "Worthys three biggest successes" then he should leave NOW![/quote]

USA, good to see that you''re still following me around like a lost puppy.

May I suggest that those pretentious and anal writers here concentrate on the bigger picture rather than massage their own egos in public?

A thread generally evolves into a more open discussion. If you care to nit-pick so readily, I''m game to keep going because quite frankly you don''t frighten me. It''s easy to hide anonymously behind a computer keyboard.

Seems like you have an issue with anyone who doesn''t agree with you wholeheartedly and far from clucking off.....you have met your match.

Grow up and expand your mind!............................

May I suggest that those pretentious and anal writers here concentrate on the bigger picture rather than massage their own egos in public?

A thread generally evolves into a more open discussion. If you care to nit-pick so readily, I''m game to keep going because quite frankly you don''t frighten me. It''s easy to hide anonymously behind a computer keyboard.

Seems like you have an issue with anyone who doesn''t agree with you wholeheartedly and far from clucking off.....you have met your match.

[/quote]

fight fight fight!....

he he.

I''m really not one for fighting or frightening anyone else I''m afraid.

I think I''ve also said everything I could possibly say on the subject of this thread. As for opening & expanding my mind, I''m not going to take the bait.

But I want to reply to acknowledge what you said, as I don''t want to be rude. 

Expand your mind? Brilliant. I think that is was the point of this thread.

To forget, for a short while, about the bad management that put us in this situation, and to think of three great successes that did ..... I reiterate, DID .... actually happen.

But, Mr/Mrs Nora, you couldn''t let it lie could you? You couldn''t just give credit where credit is due and name three wonderful things to happen to this club under NW''s reign that we could never have imagined possible just one season previous to his appointment.

I''ve said it to CJF - you are preaching to the converted. It''s time for a change.

But if those of us that don''t suffer from "everything is terrible" syndrome want to have a chat about promotion, play-off finals and the buzz that signing Huckerby created, can we not do it without you hi-jacking the thread and adding it to the other 20 hate-campaigns currently at the top of the message board?!

so if alex ferguson who has won the treble and a fair few other trophies, was to take man utd on the run we have been on do you seriously expect him to get away with it? Nottm forest won the league and europeon cup twice and look where they are!

1-managing to stay in the job this long

2-winning promotion

3-fooling everyone into thinking ashton didnt play against west ham in the cup "due to injury"

[quote user="blahblahblah"]

[quote]

Is this a joke?

If the last two are part of  "Worthys three biggest successes" then he should leave NOW![/quote]

USA, good to see that you''re still following me around like a lost puppy.

[/quote]

Somebody has to keep the spin in check.

You have your job, I have mine.

[/quote]

I think this was directed at me but I''m not sure what a pretentious and anal writer is and neither do I know how to massage my own ego. I think I''m probably am better off not knowing!

I don''t think I frighten anybody either from behind this keyboard or in person.

Where did all this anger come from dora???? [:P][*-)][:D][;)][<:o)][<:o)][<:o)]

1. Negotiating a ''Rollin'' contract.

2. Hoodwinkin'' a ''not a clue about football'' but, a priority to contruction, caterin'' an'' corporate functions - and occasional let''s buy a player to pacify the ''besterest supporters'' NCFC board.

3. Leaving Blackpool under a cloud - and eventually slippin'' through the back-door into Blarneymeister Hamilton''s shoes.........no mean ''feet'' by any standards.

Oh, and I eagerily await that NCFC ''teeh hee'' coaching stalwart Keef Webb........to try on Nigel''s li''l white sport sox for size - and practice kickin'' water bottles down the touchline......Promote from within NCFC! It is more prudent - and a noddin'' dog on the parcel shelf ''yes man'' - is the ''bes'' man'' for our closed shop clubby. ;~)