Sign in to follow this  
canary cherub

Worthy's three biggest successes

[quote user="mystic megson"]

Promotion to the Premiership as Champions

Playoff Final

Signing Darren Huckerby

[/quote]

I agree, I also count the loan signing of Crouch and Harper  as well as Hucks in the promotion season.

* coming into the club, and instilling belief and success from a horribly mediocre set up within a season.

* being won of only a few City managers to win a respectable piece of silverware, and when it looked like we were beginning to faulter in the run in, settling everyone down and telling all that we''d win the title.

* bringing in McKenzie, Svensson and Huckerby within a month of each other.

In the premiership season :

2-0 Man Utd (Ashtons'' pass to Mackenzie, who took the ball first time - exquisite)

4-4 Middlesborough

the win at Reading the season before.  Mulrynes'' goal with the tee-up from the ref sealed promotion for me.

id have to say signing ashton and earnshaw aswell - 2 great signings which i dnt think he paid over the odds for either.

keeping green at the club for so long another success?

If Delias kitchen served up just three modest dinner parties in 6 years.....do you think the chef would still have his job? He''d be sacked out of hand and the restaurant would be closed. But then her restaurant has 26,000 odd non-eating customers keeping it afloat for her........

TIME FOR REALITY TO KICK IN.............

[quote user="Sons of Boadicea"]

Sory to rain on your parade but I think that getting to the play off final is a success, the final itself was not a success as we lost!! (arguably because of a negative substitution at the wrong time)

[/quote]

Very true. I think I used a little artistic license. I couldn''t make it more accurate and sound as easy to read! I agree, and may I, you agree that the first full season was a success [:-)]

I also posted what I think are his 3 biggest mistakes, but that hasn''t appeared as yet...

Also, I don''t see anywhere that this is a ''Please God keep Worthington'' thread. No reality check required thank you.

So promotion to the Premiership as champions was only a "modest" achievement was it?If that''s how some people really think, then the coming years are going to be fun...

[quote user="blahblahblah"]

2-0 Man Utd (Ashtons'' pass to Mackenzie, who took the ball first time - exquisite)

4-4 Middlesborough

the win at Reading the season before.  Mulrynes'' goal with the tee-up from the ref sealed promotion for me.

[/quote]What and you actually think Worthington arranged that with the ref and therefore deserves credit for it?

His biggest achievement for is turning the club from the mess it was in caused by previous managers, Chase and in particular Hamilton .  Worthington did a lot of the dirty work of sorting out other people''s mess.  There was so much dead wood that needed clearing.  He takes great credit for taking a very average group of players with a fanstastic team ethic to the playoff final and then adding to that group with some great signings and going up as Champions.

In list form:

Avoiding relegation and clearing out the deadwood.
Taking us to the play off final when no one really expected it
Great signings (Crouch, Hux, Cooper, Svennson, Leon and Francis) all in one season leading to winning the Championship.

Yes he has had some successes, but they are all in the past. What has he acheived since we won The Championship. Does relegation count as a success, or how about capitulating at Fulham when all we needed was a point to maintian Premiership status. How many successes did we have last season, especially away from Carrow Road, and how many so far this season. 6 wins out of our last 47 away games in the league.......says it all. While that form continues, we will never get promotion. Time for a change, while we still have three quarters of the season left.

[quote user="Love the club..just hate the manager"]Yes he has had some successes, but they are all in the past. What has he acheived since we won The Championship. Does relegation count as a success, or how about capitulating at Fulham when all we needed was a point to maintian Premiership status. How many successes did we have last season, especially away from Carrow Road, and how many so far this season. 6 wins out of our last 47 away games in the league.......says it all. While that form continues, we will never get promotion. Time for a change, while we still have three quarters of the season left.[/quote]

I really don''t want to have to repeat what I posted earlier, but maybe I''ll have to.

In acknowledging his successes we''re not pleading for him to stay in the job. Please show some security in your opinion and don''t take this thread as a threat to it. There''s really no need to be so bitter... (surprisingly, he successes will have been in the past, otherwise 90% of the threads on this board would be defunct) 

In every walk of life these days, we are only as good as our last effort.

In truth the club is in no better position on the pitch than it was when Worthington came. The fact that Rioch and Hamilton were worse is no excuse. To quote off the pitch issues is also to cloud the fact that Worthington is a poor manager and and even worse communicator. As a player he was little more than ''workmanlike''.....and I saw him play a few times.....and his managerial style is even less illustrious. Nice man maybe...but dull. Very very dull.

It may appear that many comments from fans are personal........Well it just happens that the prospects for our club are just that......deeply personal.  It is the focal point for many of us and to see it so abused hurts.

Worthington''s job was to get the club further forward. It''s no good having a breakdown service for your car if it is to pick you.....take you half way home, before taking you back to where you first broke down again. That''s not success.....it''s stagnation.

Playoff Final

Signing Darren Huckerby

[/quote]

I''d have to agree. Reaching the play offs after 18 in months in charge was a good acievement after where we were when he arrived. He''s the only manager to have won us any silverwear in years and Darren Huckerby has been our best signing for years as well. He brought us good moments in the end, sespite the overall failure, the comeback V Boro, the wins over Man U and newcastle and a memorable final day at Fulham before 3.00!

[quote user="cluckin-nora"]

Worthington''s job was to get the club further forward. It''s no good having a breakdown service for your car if it is to pick you.....take you half way home, before taking you back to where you first broke down again. That''s not success.....it''s stagnation.

[/quote]

Fair points. But, considering the question is name three successes, and most people have quoted silverware, signings etc... i think these are notable successes he has had. Are you saying that winning the league was not a success?

If the question was ''was worthy a success?'' then I think your post is completely relavent. But, again, it just seems that some people can''t acknowledge what has happened over the last 6 years without feeling that their current opinions are under threat. And by this I mean answering the question asked. That''s why there is a ''Worthy''s 3 biggest failures'' thread.

If you honestly think that winning silverware consitutes no success at any point (even on a summer''s evening in May 2004) then I completely understand your bitterness and I feel sorry for you, because I can''t see why you''d ever enjoy following Norwich City.

PS. For the record I''m acknowledging his successes. This is different to defending his current record as manager, or expressing a desire for him to stay in the job.

What are you warbling on about, you cluckin fool!??!!

We''re remembering the good times. You can''t change history. They HAPPENED.

Michael Jackson was good once. Just because he''s weird, doesn''t mean "Thriller" never happened.

In truth the club is in no better position on the pitch than it was when Worthington came. The fact that Rioch and Hamilton were worse is no excuse. To quote off the pitch issues is also to cloud the fact that Worthington is a poor manager and and even worse communicator. As a player he was little more than ''workmanlike''.....and I saw him play a few times.....and his managerial style is even less illustrious. Nice man maybe...but dull. Very very dull.

It may appear that many comments from fans are personal........Well it just happens that the prospects for our club are just that......deeply personal.  It is the focal point for many of us and to see it so abused hurts.

[/quote]

yeah but we are in a better posisition though

1. money made from season in premiership + parachute payments mean we are still now benefiting financially

2. we have better players huckerby & earnshaw

3. as a result of our recent succes we now get 25,000 attending every home match

4. we''re 14th now and finished 9th last season.....not good enough granted but better than when he took over

Lets be fair in our criticism

[/quote]

yeah but we are in a better posisition though

1. money made from season in premiership + parachute payments mean we are still now benefiting financially

2. we have better players huckerby & earnshaw

3. as a result of our recent succes we now get 25,000 attending every home match

4. we''re 14th now and finished 9th last season.....not good enough granted but better than when he took over

Lets be fair in our criticism

[quote user="Mook"]

Michael Jackson was good once. Just because he''s weird, doesn''t mean "Thriller" never happened.

[/quote]

Mook, that was textbook.

I think it''s sad that views on Worthy have become so blinkered that some people can hardly bear to acknowledge that for 3 years the man did a good job, met and exceeded the fans expectations and brought success to a club that had been starved of it for more than half a decade.  It says a lot that some seem to feel that acknowledging his success somehow compromises their current belief that he needs to leave.

[quote user="Saint Canary"]

I think it''s sad that views on Worthy have become so blinkered that some people can hardly bear to acknowledge that for 3 years the man did a good job, met and exceeded the fans expectations and brought success to a club that had been starved of it for more than half a decade.  It says a lot that some seem to feel that acknowledging his success somehow compromises their current belief that he needs to leave.

[/quote]

That''s what I find so sad too Saint. I know I keep saying this and make no apology for repeating it :-

Nigel Worthington is one of only three managers in our history to have ever won this division.

Where does all the hatred come from? Is it the fact that he''s still here then if that fills people with hatred? If so they should direct it at the people who are responsible for him being here! But it''s more likely that people are more comfortable shouting ''Worthy Out'' if they are in denial that he ever was successful, and can generate enough hatred towards him first.

Well.......reading this makes me realise why Worthington has been kept in his job for so long and why Delia has been able to pull the wool over the eyes of the easily satisfied.

It''s not about winning what is infact the SECOND DIVISION TITLE....(Championship be buggered), as we won this in the 1970s and 1980s as well. We got into Europe and 3rd in the Premiership in the 1990s plus 3 FA Cup semi-finals between 1959 and 1992. We also won the League Cup in ''62 and ''85, plus a couple of losing finalists in the 1970s.

Are you really happy with such a piddling bit of silverware? How about seeking some sustained progress. One swallow does not make a summer in my book. Small thinking leads to small ambition...............

Playoff Final

Signing Darren Huckerby

[/quote] All of these seem a rather long time ago!! They were fantastic achievements and I will always be grateful to Worthy for these achievements but as i''ve said so many times before on this board, you can''t live on past glories and those who do won''t achiveve much in the present!

Maybe I just couldn''t think of three good things. Him resigning would give me two I suppose...........

1. winning us promotion to the premiership when 3 seasons before we had been relagtion candidates

2. signing robert eranchaw and making a better squad than we have ever had before

3. putting up with the ignorant no brained so called ''supporters'' who have called for his head for so long

perhaps it is tgime to go but don''t all be so ignorant

[quote user="blahblahblah"]

4-4 Middlesborough

[/quote]

Is this a joke?

If the last two are part of  "Worthys three biggest successes" then he should leave NOW!

1 - Turning round the mess Hamilton left into the play-off final season.

2 - The Huckerby/Crouch/Harper signings.  Effectively kick-started promotion.

3 - Promotion itself.