Sign in to follow this  
Huddy

Thank You Nigel

The play-off season and the championship season were the best two years I''ve had supporting City, and that includes finishing third in the Premier League and beating Bayern. We were a shambles before Worthington took over and although we might look like a shambles now, the club is in far better health. Someone with better researching skills than me could look up the first team that Worthington picked when he arrived and compare it with the team he leaves behind - one for Name That Team, perhaps. In between we''ve had some great times: Malky''s third goal against Wolves. Cardiff. Hucks and Crouchigol. "Top of the League at Portman road". "We''ll never play you again." Watford. Crewe. "Norwich are back." 4-4. Dean Ashton. "Shoooooooot". Wayne Rooney''s face. Little Earn.

He had to go, and I wish, for his sake as well as for ours, that it had been sooner. But I am grateful to him for the job he did here, and it''s not hypocrisy to recognise the good times as well - it''s just decency. Those who don''t have the grace to do that should look at Worthington''s behaviour hours after getting the sack and hang their heads in shame. otbc

Thanks for teh good times Nigel - you have played a big part in taking the from very dark days.

Good luck in your next role. 

Thanks for all of the memories Nigel from myself and my family. It has been great. I wish you didn''t have to go, but fate has told, and what will be will be. Thanks for the 3 P''s (Play offs, promotion and premiership). You will be missed by your loyal supporters, and all the best and good luck for the future. Hopefully, we will meet again.

[quote user="yellow hammer"]I wonder how many of Sunday''s team gave less than 100% in the knowledge that a poor performance would get the manager sacked? Payback time?[/quote]

That thought crossed my mind  as I watched them play   !   then I realised ... no  , it wasn`t a case of them trying  to have Nigel out ,     they , genuinely , were CRAP   , with a capitol C  !

Only Croft , Earnie  , and a still injured Hucks ,  made ANY effort   ....   Gallacher   did his best   , but   the  defence  would make  a pub side weep ,      as for Docs rugby tackle   [:''(]

Oh !  this is  a thank you Nigel thread  .....  well , thank you VERY much Nige  [:@]

I could go into immense detail, but most of it has been said already, so I''ll go for a very simple:So long, and thanks for all the fish.

[quote user="mystic megson"]

Thanks for the great times, for all you did and tried to do.

I''m ashamed of the way our club treated you at the end, you didn''t deserve that.

Good luck.

[/quote]Well said mm. Too many posters have been mean-spirited to NW for a long time now, refusing to give him any credit for what the Club''s achieved while he''s been manager - and there have been some big achievements. The Club''s management in the wider sense should take a close look at itself and wonder how it allowed things to get to this pitch - they know we MUST get promoted this season or their business plan will be shredded, but they didn''t ensure that the footballing assets were in place to do that, by sorting out the scouting and recruitment side. I''ve always said that the problems went deeper than just NW, and though I acknowledge that the Club''s management have done great things in some areas (just like NW did), if they don''t sort themselves out we''ll be back in the same pickle shortly.

Favourite Moments Under Worthy...

Stockport @ home(qualifying for the play-offs after years of under-achievement)

The day out in Cardiff (despite losing to Brum)...

The day he brought Hucks & Crouchy in on loan (which really said something about where he club was heading at the time)...

5-3 @ Burnley away (the day you knew promotion was in the air - Ain''t no stoppin us now)

Watford away after clinching promotion (great day out, great following and good result).

Sunderland away (despite going down 1-0 we won the title and had one of the biggest parties ever getting drunk in Newcastle that night... the sight of hundreds of City fans dancing across the Tyne Bridge at about 2:30am will live with me forever)

Once again THANK YOU for all the GOOD TIMES you gave us Nigel... I hope the clean break works as well for yourself as it does for NCFC... you will be welcomed back to the City leading another team one day with open arms I am sure!!!

Posted By: Smudger on October 2nd 2006 at 04:23:56

I figured it would be pretty interesting reading this kind of thread once a load of people had posted on it and see what the reaction would be.

I''m glad most people have followed Nigel''s show of dignity yesterday evening.

I''d like to thank him for some fantastic memories. Thus I register my thanks for those...

[B]

[quote user="Spacebadger"]Thanks Worthy,You did a sterling job

for us but I''m afraid the club took on a whole new character after

relegation and not one that any existing manager could rectify.I wisdh you the best of luck in finding a new job and thanks for the good times.[/quote]

I think you summed it up very well there SB - the club was not the same

after promotion and relegation. The position became untenable and he

had to go if only to wipe the slate clean.

Thankyou to Nigel for leaving with grace, with his head held high and

for his excellent parting words about the club. No moans, no parting

shots, however tempting it may have been. We''ll remember the good times

and look forward to more with whoever the new man is.

Thanks Nigel, for giving me the very best 40th Birthday present any self respecting Man could hope for:  December 21st 2003 and going Top of the League at Portman Road.

I wish you every success in your future managerial career, just not when you come to Carrow Road!

OTBC

i''d like to thank nigel for all the laughter he give me when i read about every s**t signing he made (there was more bad than good) and most of them were loan signings who could not wait to get back to there own clubs.  nigel done well in winning the championship but i would like to thank him for leaving us in a respectable 17th a worse position than when he took over. like all the other hypocrites i''d like to say thanks for the good times(few and far between)

Thanks Nigel for the good times at Norwich City.

We have achieved so much under your guidance and hopefully we can clinch that spot in the Premiership that we gained when you was in charge.

My favourite Worthy moments are:

Play-off final (although we lost)

Beating Ipswich numerous times

Championship winning team (games at Reading, Burnley, Rotherham and Sunderland stick out in mind)

Premiership year (Man Utd, Newcastle, Middlesborough)

And all of your Worthy comments!

Thanks Nigel, and good luck to you! I''ll always welcome you back to Carrow Road!

Cheers Nige,

Hope you read this because you should do. It will tell you just how the fans really feel.

You brought us some fantastic moments and memories. You made it a truly ''Worthy'' experience to be associated with this wonderful club. You brought us a number of reasons to feel very proud of our club.

I hope you understand, as we all do that like so many good things, they run thier life and eventually it is time to move on and seek new life in what can continue to be something truly great.

I wish you every success in your new ventures and hope that you enjoyed your time with us as much as we enjoyed so many times with you.

[quote user="theolster"]CANT HIDE MY DELIGHT THAT HES GONE- MOST IGNORANT, ARROGANT, BORING MANAGER IN CITYS HISTORY, NEVER HAS A MANAGER SHOWN SUCH A LACK OF RESPECT TO THE FANS- WELL DONE TO NEIL WARNOCK FOR SHOWING HIM THE HAND SIGN IVE WANTED TO GIVE HIM MYSELF[/quote]

Sad!

I said elsewhere that I had respect for you in that you have stuck to your opinion but I have no respect for this post on this thread.

[quote user="theolster"]CANT HIDE MY DELIGHT THAT HES GONE- MOST IGNORANT, ARROGANT, BORING MANAGER IN CITYS HISTORY, NEVER HAS A MANAGER SHOWN SUCH A LACK OF RESPECT TO THE FANS- WELL DONE TO NEIL WARNOCK FOR SHOWING HIM THE HAND SIGN IVE WANTED TO GIVE HIM MYSELF[/quote]

Whilst I think Warnock is good for football, I wouldn''t want him in charge of my team! he lacks dignity, he is good fun from the point of view of an onlooker. His "hand gesture" was exactly the sort of thing that would make me ashamed of a manager, that is not passion, that is rudeness. I don''t consider Nigel to be ignorant or arrogant, i found him to be polite and courteous and I respected the fact that he didn’t always moan and blame someone else, he was always gracious in the face of adversity.

I thought this was a nice piece on the BBC website.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/606/A15820580?s_fromedit=1

Love this bit:

Blackpool stole a goal against gillingham by not giving the ball back after a throw in, much like Kanu and Overmars. but Worthington brazened it out on TV and lost all respect I''d ever had for him as a player. To be sacked by Blackpool in the bottom division and have the Norwich job fall into his lap really galled me too, but as i said, what goes around comes around. he had his niche at carrow road but he''s not exactly going to have a queue of top clubs queueing up for his services. He took a very buoyant club up and failed to keep them there and enough managers have been there without ever setting the world alight later. All the best for the season, anyhow. I always enjoyed my Tuesday nights at Carrow Road in the eighties when I was on my Norfolk patch as a sales rep.

Thanks for all the good times Nigel, it''s a shame all those still slagging you off don''t remember the joy of singing your name outside City Hall, as I''m sure most of them were.

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]

Love this bit:

Blackpool stole a goal against gillingham by not giving the ball back after a throw in, much like Kanu and Overmars. but Worthington brazened it out on TV and lost all respect I''d ever had for him as a player. To be sacked by Blackpool in the bottom division and have the Norwich job fall into his lap really galled me too, but as i said, what goes around comes around. he had his niche at carrow road but he''s not exactly going to have a queue of top clubs queueing up for his services. He took a very buoyant club up and failed to keep them there and enough managers have been there without ever setting the world alight later. All the best for the season, anyhow. I always enjoyed my Tuesday nights at Carrow Road in the eighties when I was on my Norfolk patch as a sales rep.

[/quote]What is that?

A letter from your Nan maybe???? [:^)] [8-|] [:|]

Thanks for all the great times Nigel, celebrating winning the championship that night in may 2004 was the most amazing experience i have ever had and i will never forget it.

Best of luck in your next job i wish you every success

Yep, totally agree!!!

Thank you Nigel for the great times, beating the scum on a regular basisBig Smile [:D], beating Man Utd, signing Hucks and Crouchy, Beating the scumBig Smile [:D], laughing at Elvis Hammond, the play off semi 1st leg vs Wolves, beating the scumBig Smile [:D], Cardiff, laughing at Trevor Benjamin, a reserve fixture against someone (Charlton?) where we celebrated promotion, beating the scumBig Smile [:D], winning 5-0 at Sheff Weds, the civic reception, the hope that signing ''Judas'' Ashton gave us!!!, 4-4 vs Boro, beating the scum...............againBig Smile [:D]!!!!!!

THANK YOU NIGEL!!!!!!

You are a managerial canary legend.Wink [;)]

Thanks from me too, it was a sad day when it happened because I too think Nigel is a decent, honest, hard working bloke.  I wish him all the best at whatever football club he goes on to manage and hope that whoever it might be, they achieve alot under him.

Dan

Thank you Nigel for leaving the club in a poor state, for being stuborn, for not knowing when to go, for your poor decisions, tactical knowledge and ofcourse your arrogance and not being prepared to listen to those around you or the fans!  But most of all thank you for a the negativity you brought to Carrow Road with your lack lustre football and lack of ambition. Happy for hard work to prevail over skill and a good performance and a loss over a dug in result.  You will be missed, so it seems!  But not by me

OTBC

St.John

[quote user="St.John Cooper"]

Thank you Nigel for leaving the club in a poor state, for being stuborn, for not knowing when to go, for your poor decisions, tactical knowledge and ofcourse your arrogance and not being prepared to listen to those around you or the fans!  But most of all thank you for a the negativity you brought to Carrow Road with your lack lustre football and lack of ambition. Happy for hard work to prevail over skill and a good performance and a loss over a dug in result.  You will be missed, so it seems!  But not by me

OTBC

St.John

[/quote]

[irony] Remarkable restraint and respect shown St John.  [/irony]

[quote user="blahblahblah"][quote user="St.John Cooper"]

OTBC

St.John

[/quote]

[irony] Remarkable restraint and respect shown St John.  [/irony]

[/quote]

You can''t deny that John actually makes some very good points...