Sign in to follow this  
USAcanary

We ARE a big club.

The only club in this division that has bigger average crowds than us are Sunderland.

Nobody else is drawing 25,000 against Barnsly.

What got me thinking was the fact that Watford drew just 17,000 against a local (ish) rival Fulham in their first season back

in the PREM for a long time. Incredible.

The following clubs in the prem all have much lower avg attendances than us.

Blackburn, Bolton, Fulham, Portsmouth,Reading and Watford.

So overall we are currently the 15th biggest club in the whole of English football in terms of attendance.

Also, how many of the clubs that have better attendance records than us would draw much less if they were 17th in the championship!

My point is WE ARE a big club, we SHOULD be an established PREM club.

The little club mentality should go away. Even certain local journos have said we wont get Curbishly as manager because we are a little club.

The facts say otherwise.

Superb Post USA Canary, this post mirrors my feeling exactly. We are a big club and I think Curbs know this, we''re more than a potential Charlton!

I understand what you are saying USA, but what is a ''big club''? What I mean is, how do you define a ''big club''?

Is it the number of supporters like you say, or is it the success you have achieved, or is it the financial backing, or is it even the size of your ground, or again the history behind your club.

I think their are a number of elements that make up what is termed a ''big club''

I don''t think there is any reason why we could not become a club in the same standing as say Spurs or West Ham. We have the fan base as our foundation and the history. The rest can be built on.

It is dissapointing that we are not in that league right now. Lets look at how far we have come though. We have progressed, we are not a minnow amongst giants anymore as we would have been 30 years ago. We are closer to that target than ever before.

You omitted ground capacity from the equation as even in the Championship there will be games where we would readily get 30,000 in.

Furthermore historically the Club attracted gates well into the 30’s and from time to time went of 40 thousand so there is every likely with an expanded Carrow Road we could see ourselves move up the attendance league. 

Worryingly her Majesties view of being the ‘best little club in the world’ is totally at odds with many of the supporters take on where the club sits in the overall football equation.

Top my mind though the building of the Hotel de Srebrenica was very short sighted and wonder that with the award of planning consent for the next the next parcel of land the club owns we might yet see the redevelopment of the City Stand?  I sincerely hope so.

Interestingly I noticed on Sunday that a new road is being put in over the car park which I couldn’t imagine happening unless they either had or were about to obtain a planning consent, pity more hasn’t been said about this.

Totally agree. I support the board but I agree that they do project a "Little Norwich" mentality which will only be extinguished IF we can get up again and stay up. The choice of manager will show a lot about how ambitious the board are.

However, with the parachute payments running out, if we can''t scramble up this season then we may be forced to use next season as a transitional one and build the squad up again, so any incoming manager needs to bear this in mind. The position is a long term job in all likelihood, and success will either be immediate or will take a long time to achieve.

Sunderland (14)514715536764294314830060.9%
2Norwich City (17)512275024876245502550096.2%
3Derby County (10)511525226502230503359768.6%
4Southampton (6)511373225185227463255169.8%
5Sheffield Wednesday (24)511245523792224913985956.4%
6Ipswich Town (12)510940125413218803031172.1%
7Coventry City (15)510432422366208652363388.2%
8Birmingham City (2)510253224238205063000968.3%
9Leeds United (20)59886623037197734020449.1%
10West Bromwich Albion (7)59852421435197052800370.3%
11Leicester City (19)59840822449196823250060.5%
12Wolverhampton Wndrs (9)59702221546194042940066.0%

Average attendance ratings from http://itv.stats.football365.com/dom/ENG/D1/attend.html - I''ve picked out the top 12 because any of these teams have the potential to match our support if they go on a good run of form, and as such probably consider themselves premiership size clubs.

The difference between Norwich and most of these teams is the loyalty when the chips are down.  The teams from 8th downwards are used to getting 25k plus crowds, but because the team aren''t performing, they are getting a dip in attendances.

I agree that we have the size of support of a Premiership club, as do Wolves, Birmingham, Sheffield Wednesday.  The gap between premiership and championship tv income is such that clubs with smaller attendances have substantially greater income despite having smaller support.  As such, the Sky income skews the economics of the game at the top level.

Curbishley has said that he would be interested in a Premiership or Championship club.  There is a fair possibility that he would be interested in us, not only because we have a large and loyal following, but because he knows our majority shareholders, and because Norwich try to use the "Charlton model" as a blue-print. What better way to use the Charlton model, if you can get the former Chalrton manager to see it through ?

Until he says he''s interested though, we can only speculate.  Whoever takes the job needs to either convince our current players that they can compete at a higher level consistently, and would have a future if we promote, or bring in players who can do it. 

If Curbishley was to come here, might he struggle to deal with the lack of money available, having been used to a transfer war-chest from Sky money ?  Probably not, as he seems to be a good motivator of players and has kept Charlton punching above their weight for a number of seasons.

Interesting times.

We are a big club compared with many others.......but sadly ''big'' now means ''mega'' such as Chelsea, Man. Utd et al.  Quite honestly those fans are welcome to it. At Norwich we are pleased with a win and philosophical about defeat. At the big clubs, anything but a win is intolerable.

The Premiership isn''t the be all and end all for me.......I''m happy with some proper guts and determination coupled with a large helping of the passing game we were once known for. Once that is installed and bedded in.......promotion would naturally follow.

That isn''t thinking small as in Delias'' ''little old Norwich''......it''s being realistic. Once you get up........then you have to push the boat out a bit to make sure you stay there. Our board veiwed it as a ''once in a lifetime'' event........and that worried me big time.............

Great post, Just Cluckin.

If we play good football and get back to what Norwich City is famous for, promotion will follow. As for the Premiership - it''s just ruining football!!

One of four teams get to win it, the rest get to fight relegation.

Rrrrrrrubbish.

Potential yes..but sadly big really just means financial resources...and TV revenue overtook gate receipts in significance a long time ago...Got to get back to the Premeiership to be a big club...  

Good post u s a , and the rest of you, i think that when i was a boy in the early 60 s i read somewhere that city had the biggest supporters club in the country. I think it was somthing todo with those little tickets you could buy which you opened to find teams and scores, if you matched them you won quite a bit of money , i think they cost 6d each , i can''t remember what they were called, perhaps some of you older fans can remember, the point i am labouring to make is that you would find them all over the county and must have been a great source of income, the supporters club was always handing over donations of 10k to help the club buy players , perhaps you were made a hon member when you bought one, perhaps somthing to do with betting laws ? i don''t know , i bet someone out there knows .