Sign in to follow this  
Sing, Sing, wherever you may be...

worthy-clown or hero?goodbye or good riddence?

im not going to lie and pay tribute to a man who will go down as my least popular manager in ncfc history. how people can claim that losing to birmingham in cardiff was greater than beating munich or finishing 3rd in the premier league or the milk cup win is pathetic, i can only guess that they became interested when they thought they could watch a premiership team play, and so many of you thank him yet we are a worse team now than when hamilton was in charge.

[quote user="Yellow fever"]even thos we got rid of worthington, ktf is still strong[/quote]

You are obsessed with the KTF slogan, come to think of it I think it is actually rather good, yeah I am one then, i''ll put myself into the little group so that you can''t! we all need to be pigeon holed don''t we? I mean the concept of maybe not being a radical "hate everything to do with the club but still call myself a fan"  or a "head up my arse" supporter with no concern about results or performances but still love everybody conected to the club is beyond you. Maybe, for instance, someone may have some respect for the board and have have similar desires to you, i.e. success? the concept of wanting the same things, but a different idea of how to get them, is lost on you isn''t it? (I think we know why?)

Shoot the board (joke!) sack the manager and the next one, sack the tea lady and break Captain Canaries legs..............

[quote user="Yellow fever"]even thos we got rid of worthington, ktf is still strong[/quote]

How is Ipswich this evening?

[quote user="theolster"]im not going to lie and pay tribute to a man who will go down as my least popular manager in ncfc history. how people can claim that losing to birmingham in cardiff was greater than beating munich or finishing 3rd in the premier league or the milk cup win is pathetic, i can only guess that they became interested when they thought they could watch a premiership team play, and so many of you thank him yet we are a worse team now than when hamilton was in charge.[/quote]

I posted a few days ago saying that I finally agreed that the time was up for Worthy but I didn''t understand where all the hate came from. You explained why you did actually hate him and I respect you for having the same opinion now because there has been more than a little hypocracy around here since the weekend!

However I cannot agree with you, and he would be nowhere near my least popular manager in NCFC history. He turned the club around completely in the six years he was in charge. Maybe our league position now is not so different, as we had  20 points from 20 games when he took over and he leaves us with 11 points from 10 games. That''s as far as some people will look, in fact some will say that''s all we need to judge him on, but consider this: The final home game of Hamiltons tenure was Wimbledon at home on Sat. 25th Nov 2000 and our attendance for this match was 14,059, where as yesterdays attendance on a Sunday lunchtime live on sky match against Burnley was 24,717.

Posters on here today point to our attendances as proof we are a ''big club''. If this is true then it''s a legacy that Worthy has left us because 10,000 more fans regularly come to Carrow Road since he took charge, so he must have done some things right.

Yes we lost that Playoff Final in Cardiff, and yes Worthy did make mistakes along the way. But he also achieved plenty and leaves the club in a far better state than it was in when he took over. After 5 games we were close to the top, but after 10 games we are struggling and with the abysmal away record not improving it was always only going to take a poor run of form to end Worthy''s reign. The fans demanded change and the players did nothing to save him. Worthy was stubborn until the end and honoured his contract until it was terminated. I believe him to be an honourable man, and he remains one of only three managers to have won this division for our football club.

It amazes me how people disregard all the good things that happened over the last six years even denying they happened or devalueing them or just putting them down to Worthy being a lucky manager. There have been some very special times under Worthy, I saw them, I was there and I will remember them. All things come to an end and Worthy''s time is over now. I wish him the very best and I am sure he will do well wherever he ends up.

Let''s hope that the next manager is another lucky one!

At times a bit of all of those!

He has moved on - now so should we.

because if you went to cardiff you''ll know that it was right up there with munich and even the milk cup win, it was a fantastic day i have heard no one say any different.Yes he was dis-liked towards the end but considering what he had to work with when he took over he done a superb job.And before you say it, i was a worthy outer. but i am still grown up enough to say thank you to the man for what he achieved.

[quote user="theolster"]im not going to lie and pay tribute to a man who will go down as my least popular manager in ncfc history. how people can claim that losing to birmingham in cardiff was greater than beating munich or finishing 3rd in the premier league or the milk cup win is pathetic, i can only guess that they became interested when they thought they could watch a premiership team play, and so many of you thank him yet we are a worse team now than when hamilton was in charge.[/quote]

I guess alot depends on how far we go back.....I saw the 1959 side play.......but I guess 1962 would be the proper date for when I became a regular City fan.  Since then there have been massive changes and hundreds of players have come and gone.......plus quite a few managers too.

Worthington rates pretty lowly for me. Saunders was the first to bring top level football to Norwich, so he must be up there somewhere along with John Bond who brought some glamour. For me Dave Stringer is the man who shines head and shoulders above the rest........AND he was a Norfolk boy!

[quote user="theolster"]IVE SAID MY FEELINGS ABOUT WORTHY AND I STAND BY THEM, NOW IVE MOVED ON, THATS IN THE PAST- FOCUS ON THE FUTURE NOW.[/quote]

Theolster...

You posted a question which posters have tried to answer..

They are psting their feelings in response..

Have the good grace to listen to them.

[quote user="Marty"]

How is Ipswich this evening?

[/quote]

Grim, depressing and full of chavs and scallies.. (I''m not there, but

thats the way it always is, so I doubt today is any different)

yes good job for 3 years.

NO TERRIBLE JOB SINCE.  NO SUTTON (Signing today for ASTON VILLA)  YES DION DUBLIN.

It cannot be forgotten that he has WRECKED OUR SQUAD.

I have had my fill with this WORTHY LOVE IN.  THERE IS A REASON HE HAS JUST BEEN SACKED  HE HAS BEEN AN APPALLING MANAGER FOR THE LAST 2 SEASON''s.

WHICH YOUTH PLAYERS STARTED SUNDAY - NONE ZERO ZIP.

Shax came on as sub and looked a far better player than the doc or Fleming.  JARVIS NEVER GOT A CHANCE BUT PETER THORNE AND DION DUBLIN DID.

HE HAS BEEN AWFUL FOR TWO YEARS!!!  WE CANNOT DEFEND

LOVE IN OVER, DAMAGE NEEDS TO BE REPAIRED

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]

yes good job for 3 years.

NO TERRIBLE JOB SINCE.  NO SUTTON (Signing today for ASTON VILLA)  YES DION DUBLIN.

It cannot be forgotten that he has WRECKED OUR SQUAD.

I have had my fill with this WORTHY LOVE IN.  THERE IS A REASON HE HAS JUST BEEN SACKED  HE HAS BEEN AN APPALLING MANAGER FOR THE LAST 2 SEASON''s.

WHICH YOUTH PLAYERS STARTED SUNDAY - NONE ZERO ZIP.

Shax came on as sub and looked a far better player than the doc or Fleming.  JARVIS NEVER GOT A CHANCE BUT PETER THORNE AND DION DUBLIN DID.

HE HAS BEEN AWFUL FOR TWO YEARS!!!  WE CANNOT DEFEND

LOVE IN OVER, DAMAGE NEEDS TO BE REPAIRED

[/quote]

I think.. my dear old chicken head, that  you are gonna miss Worthy! I can see it in this message.. caps lock ''n all![;)]

The last 2 years under Worthy have been grim, nobody has disputed that. And it''s been hugely disappointing after the way he turned the club around. But I go to watch Norwich with my daughter, she was 15 when Worthy took over, a similar age to I was when Ron Saunders took over. I shared Worthy''s good times with her and that made them even more special for me. Maybe even more special than the time when I was 15, those of you with families will probably understand that.  I refuse to deny Worthy''s good times happened.I was there, I saw them and I enjoyed them.

He will not be remembered as one of the worst Norwich Managers ever simply because he wasn''t one of the worst Norwich Managers ever.

[quote]HE HAS BEEN AWFUL FOR TWO YEARS!!!  WE CANNOT DEFEND.  LOVE IN OVER, DAMAGE NEEDS TO BE REPAIRED[/quote]

I think we might turn this around quickly Foghorn.  In the end, and for whatever reason, the players were simply not willing to put in a performance for Worthington.

If we start to get performances and results in the next month or two similar to those at the start of the campaign, it might be worth reflecting that the squad is in reasonable health after all, but that the dressing-room was lost.

I think there are a few people who played on Sunday who need to question their motivation, and start putting performances in to prove to themselves that they can.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

He will not be remembered as one of the worst Norwich Managers ever simply because he wasn''t one of the worst Norwich Managers ever.

[/quote]

I woke up in a bad mood today by the looks of my post...  lol [:$]

very true he did a very good job for a few years - great times. Shame our board couldn''t see the right time tro remove him.  He will be remembered fondly in future and we hopefully will forget the poor times - unless we get relegated...[;)]

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]

[/quote]

very true he did a very good job for a few years - great times. Shame our board couldn''t see the right time tro remove him.  He will be remembered fondly in future and we hopefully will forget the poor times - unless we get relegated...[;)]

[/quote]

Hey.. you cheered up a bit!

If we get relegated it won''t be down to Worthy!

In the same way what Worthy did at Blackpool has no relevence in what he achieved here![8-|]

I agree we should move on but I don''t like it when posters want to have the last say and move on, which I think is what this thread was all about!

ronbol ronbol- you seriously expect me to believe that losing to birmingham in cardiff and having a 10 hour drive home was better than seeing us win the milk cup at wembley or winning in munich? i attended all 3 and i can honestly say you can only have been supporting the team a few years if you expect me to agree with you. As for everyone agreeing with you just remember what every workplace in the city was like the day after { a morgue} and compare it to the day after munich,milk cup etc- try thinking first mate!

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

In the same way what Worthy did at Blackpool has no relevence in what he achieved here![8-|]

[/quote]

errr... if we suffer a few injuries to key players and say Earnshaw leaves in January (which is looking likely as he has not looked at all happy on the pitch this last month very similarly to Dean Ashton last year.), then YES it will be down to him, it was his small squad choice, any new manager will have to deal with this situation until inflated transfer fee January comes along.

As it was down to him that Blackpool got relegated as Steve McMahon could not halt their slide.

I don''t think we will get relegated mind and expect us to climb the table when the Bowen is brought in.

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

errr... if we suffer a few injuries to key players and say Earnshaw leaves in January (which is looking likely as he has not looked at all happy on the pitch this last month very similarly to Dean Ashton last year.), then YES it will be down to him, it was his small squad choice, any new manager will have to deal with this situation until inflated transfer fee January comes along.

As it was down to him that Blackpool got relegated as Steve McMahon could not halt their slide.

I don''t think we will get relegated mind and expect us to climb the table when the Bowen is brought in.

[/quote]

Why will it be down to Worthington if Earnshaw leaves in January?? That is plain ridiculous!!! [8-|]

What is it with you and Blackpool?? They had a good side once when Matthews and Mortenson played for them, also.. how many people ever remember that Alan Ball was a Blackpool player when England won the World Cup in 1966!

Time to bury this Worthington stuff now.........he''s gone and lets hope the upheaval it all caused was worth it.

[quote user="cluckin"]Time to bury this Worthington stuff now.........he''s gone and lets hope the upheaval it all caused was worth it.[/quote]

I kind of agree with you but I don''t think it will go away while people have the attitude that if anything bad happens to the club it will be worthy''s fault. The scarey thing is that if we draw a line under it now people will have to find another target when stuff goes wrong, I wonder who it will be?????

[quote user="theolster"]

worthy is the best manager we have ever had!!!

stringer,bond,walker,brown to mention a few. worthy the best? how long have you supported the club 5 years?

[/quote]

is everyone who disagrees with you a binner, schoolkid or only supported the club for a short time? mind you he was talking rubbish