Sign in to follow this  
Syteanric

Hughes and That incident

[quote user="iwan for manager"]I though that Derveld was actually quite a good full back.[/quote] He was certainly no worse that Colin last season. One can only wonder how good he might have been if he had been at CR for another season to adjust to the English game. Colin has undoubtedly improved greatly this season! Anyway Derveld was certainly better than DeWaard!

[quote user="Herb"][quote user="San Miguel"]

why should footballers be treated differently? Its all about professionalism

[/quote]

Why should loud-mouthed fans be treated differently then?
If you said that to someone in the street you''d expect a smack in the eye.
[/quote] Exactly. I would like to bet that these comments to Mr Hughes wouldn''t have been made in the street one to one without the security of the stadium and other players/fans etc!!

[quote user="Chunky Canary"]For the first time ever Bla, I agree with you.[/quote]

Thanks Chunky !

If I say enough things, everyone will agree with me sooner or later, if only to shut me up ! [:)]

[quote user="Plastic Scouser"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

I remember the old Main Stand, blankets and Thermos flasks, cushions for tuppence, no technical areas in those days though! I sat in there a couple of times as a kid and don''t remember the sort of abuse that Hughes got on Sunday. I''m not excusing his reaction though, and no doubt it will be dealt with in the proper way.

[/quote]

I remember sitting there when Saunders was in charge and the cushions use to rain down on the manager, the team, the ref and those poor blokes who used to carry the scores around the pitch....

The abuse from the Main Stand was probably a lot milder in those days but then I don''t think anyone would have dared have a go at Big Duncan Forbes would they?!!!

Hughes should be ashamed of his reaction - he''s a football player paid a blinking fortune and he should be capable of restraining himself from reacting to a bit of the verbal stuff.
[/quote]

I remember notices going up where the club had been warned by the FA because of the cushions raining down, I vaguely seem to remember it being a game against Charlton, probably in the late 60''s early 70''s!

I asked if any posters sat in these areas because I wondered what sort of abuse, if any, was directed at the dugouts during the game on Sunday. Was it just after the final whistle that he had verbals to contend with? Or would it have been during the game too?

I am not trying to excuse his reaction and as I said in my previous post I''m sure it will be dealt with by the club.

It just seems so out of character from what I have seen of Andy Hughes.

I don''t excuse Hughes reaction to the guy insulting him but I wonder if the fans who week in week out hurl abuse at our players actually tried supporting them and encouraging them whether they would actually try and play better because of the positive atmosphere. I know I certainly work better when I am praised for things I get right rather then put down for the things I get wrong.As for the player being sacked for an inappropriate reaction then the supports hurling the abuse should also be banned from the ground.Get behind the team, get a positive atmosphere again and I''m sure we''ll see a new Norwich playing again.

andy hughes should be sacked and never pull on a norwich shirt again. his actions where disgraceful and somthing  I thought  I would never see at this football club.some of you may have seen the program airline in which easyjet staff get regular abuse but i have never seen any of them react like andy hughes, they are not paid anywhere the large sums of money he is.he is a disgrace to this club and should be sacked.

ANDY HUGHES YOUR FIRED........................

[quote user="ronbol ronbol"]andy hughes should be sacked and never pull on a norwich shirt again. his actions where disgraceful and somthing  I thought  I would never see at this football club.

some of you may have seen the program airline in which easyjet staff get regular abuse but i have never seen any of them react like andy hughes, they are not paid anywhere the large sums of money he is.

he is a disgrace to this club and should be sacked.

[/quote]

Why don''t you change your avatar to Hughes Out Ronbol?

And then when that''s achieved who or what next?

All those of you calling for Hughes to be sacked - I ask you this one question;

Would you still be calling for the player to be sacked if it had been Huckerby or Earnshaw who had reacted in this way to personal abuse?

Just think about it for a minute.

Nutty Nigel wrote, " I remember notices going up where the club had been warned because of the cushions raining down....."

From admittedly somewhat hazy memory whilst sitting there all those years ago I can recall this happening on a fairly regular basis with the poor old ref being the principle target. On one occasion at least fifty cushions were hurled like frisbees some distance onto the pitch. And this was from, in the main, supporters who were probably even older then than I am now.

Small wonder that the FA became involved,for, as Nutty Nigel and others can remember these were not '' fluffy-wuffy '' cushions as found on your average three-piece. No, and for the benefit of our younger posters, these were ''well hard ''green vinyl covered slabs with four sharp, pointed, corners. If spun properly, especially from way back in the stand, these objects became lethal '' Kung-Fu  Star '' weapons, much feared by the unfortunates at pitch level.

You didn''t mess with the '' Main Stand Boys '' ........

PS  Please excuse the drifting slightly off thread but all this wallowing in nostalgia has brought a little tear to my eye ......in much the same way as it did to anyone who came within range of a flying cushion or two. 

[quote user="ronbol ronbol"]andy hughes should be sacked and never pull on a norwich shirt again. his actions where disgraceful and somthing  I thought  I would never see at this football club.some of you may have seen the program airline in which easyjet staff get regular abuse but i have never seen any of them react like andy hughes, they are not paid anywhere the large sums of money he is.he is a disgrace to this club and should be sacked.

[/quote]

on the easy jet "fly on the wall" documentary they often call for security and the customers are removed. Also, i have been to loads of airports and never heard this type of abuse, I think lot''s of it is staged and it is edited in a way to get your attention, I always take such programs with a pinch of salt.

There is also a bloody massive difference between the emotions of a professional sportsman who is on the physical and mental brink and a person allocating tickets to proles- they are not comparable.

I do agree he was a touch out of order but i can understand why, also we should condem the a-holes that shout this abuse week in, week out.

[quote] his actions where disgraceful and somthing  I thought  I would never see at this football club.[/quote]

I could say exactly the same for some of the fans actions on Sunday, you included I suspect.

[quote user="Alex Harvey-Jones"][quote user="Herb"][quote user="San Miguel"]

[/quote]

[/quote] Exactly. I would like to bet that these comments to Mr Hughes wouldn''t have been made in the street one to one without the security of the stadium and other players/fans etc!![/quote]

You''re missing the point, both of you

I would expect a smack in the eye for saying that to someone in the street, as would I want to thump someone who said it to me

but it wasn''t in the street was it - it was at a football ground against one of our own fans - footballers are just employees of their clubs at the end of the day and in any other career attacking a customer effectively ends your career - again I ask, why should footballers be given special treatment?

also, footballers have a responsibility to set good role models for children, of which they were thousands present, and Hughes clearly didn''t do that

also, as with any profession in the public eye you have to expect some people to be abusive to you and any professional should be able deal with it - its one of the downsides to earning thousands of pounds every week for doing a job you love. I''m not saying I agree with this, but its a fact of life.

and about the loud mouthed fans - are you suggesting we end the whole ''freedom of speech'' thing? Everyone is entitled to their opinion and whilst I happen to agree with the guy who said those things to Hughes, I wouldn''t have necessarily said them out loud to his face.

Temp makes the same point I tried to:

Would you (Ronbol et al) be treating the aggressor the same way if it were Safri? Or Hucks? Or Earnie?

I really, really doubt it.

For all the people saying that abuse at work is the same as the abuse faced by Hughes are assuming that the abuse at work is the same kind of abuse as that metered out to Hughes.

I too have suffered abuse from people face-to-face and via telephones (try working in a BT call centre and NOT take abuse!?) but predominantly the abuse faced there is not personal, it is primarily aimed at the business or company that you represent/work for. From what I can gather, the abuse given to Hughes WAS personal and aimed directly at him as a person AND as a representative of Norwich City. 

Therefore, whether right or wrong to have reacted, Hughes maybe was subjected to something that maybe not as many of us have experienced as we first thought.

Now, if the fan had offered some constructive criticism aimed at illustrating Hughes'' shortcomings then maybe the outcome may have been different... Maybe, just maybe...

[quote user="San Miguel"][quote user="Alex Harvey-Jones"][quote user="Herb"][quote user="San Miguel"]

[/quote]

[/quote] Exactly. I would like to bet that these comments to Mr Hughes wouldn''t have been made in the street one to one without the security of the stadium and other players/fans etc!![/quote]

You''re missing the point, both of you

I would expect a smack in the eye for saying that to someone in the street, as would I want to thump someone who said it to me

but it wasn''t in the street was it - it was at a football ground against one of our own fans - footballers are just employees of their clubs at the end of the day and in any other career attacking a customer effectively ends your career - again I ask, why should footballers be given special treatment?

also, footballers have a responsibility to set good role models for children, of which they were thousands present, and Hughes clearly didn''t do that

also, as with any profession in the public eye you have to expect some people to be abusive to you and any professional should be able deal with it - its one of the downsides to earning thousands of pounds every week for doing a job you love. I''m not saying I agree with this, but its a fact of life.

and about the loud mouthed fans - are you suggesting we end the whole ''freedom of speech'' thing? Everyone is entitled to their opinion and whilst I happen to agree with the guy who said those things to Hughes, I wouldn''t have necessarily said them out loud to his face.

[/quote]

people always get very moralistic about the behaviour of the players but don''t seem too perturbed when some a-hole in the crowd screems and shouts for 90 mins using expetives that would make a whore blush whilst abusing players on a very personal level. I don''t like John Prescot but I wouldn''t throw an egg at him! (I use a great Danes log - sorry, that was said a joke and was juvenille and bad taste, I appologise) - but you know what i''m getting at.

somebody made the quote about hughes setting examples for children. you are quite right but surely those that were calling him names should be setting a better example for children on the behaviour expected in the ground. this smacks of double standards. its about time the incident was put aside, not forgotten, and left to the club to deal with it. if everybody is expecting hughes to apologise to the fan then surely hughes is entitled to an apology for what he was called? or again are we setting double standards here?

[quote user="baldyboy"]somebody made the quote about hughes setting examples for children. you are quite right but surely those that were calling him names should be setting a better example for children on the behaviour expected in the ground. this smacks of double standards. its about time the incident was put aside, not forgotten, and left to the club to deal with it. if everybody is expecting hughes to apologise to the fan then surely hughes is entitled to an apology for what he was called? or again are we setting double standards here?[/quote]

Good on ya Baldyboy, I too believe this incident should be set aside for the club to deal with which I am sure they will,

I think Andy Hughes is probably owed more apolgies than just the one that he should make to this fan. Footballers have to be able to take stick from opposing fans but no footballer should have to endure what he has from his own clubs fans.

From what I have seen of Andy Hughes he has always given 100 percent to this football club, both on the pitch and off it. Shame on some of our fans who don''t seem to be able to recognise this.

if you want to keep going on about players getting stick, i was appalled at some idiot just by me at lynn last night who constantly took the p*** out of their keeper in the second half. that was supposed to be a friendly but sadly some people have this sort of streak ingrained through them.

[quote user="baldyboy"]if you want to keep going on about players getting stick, i was appalled at some idiot just by me at lynn last night who constantly took the p*** out of their keeper in the second half. that was supposed to be a friendly but sadly some people have this sort of streak ingrained through them.[/quote]

It is a bit of a worry. Worthy is gone now and while people are still giving him stick now, there must come a time where they realise he is gone. What about if results don''t pick up? Who will be next? You are right, it is a streak that some people have ingrained through them.

[quote user="Marty"]

I don''t like John Prescot but I wouldn''t throw an egg at him!

[/quote]Likewise, never liked the bloke, but he actually went up (a little) in my estimation after that.It was a good right cross, and the look on the face of the "countryside alliance" tosser was hilarious.He very much got what he deserved, and a politician was made to look a bit of an arse too.Everyones a winner! :o)

[quote user="baldyboy"]if you want to keep going on about players getting stick, i was appalled at some idiot just by me at lynn last night who constantly took the p*** out of their keeper in the second half. that was supposed to be a friendly but sadly some people have this sort of streak ingrained through them.[/quote]Its sad isn''t it?I mean Lynn are a decent sized non league club who are certainly no potential rival to us in the near future, but they''re a club which could potentially be a source of uncut diamonds of players in the future. Why any supporter of City would wish them anything other than a decent game is beyond me. The term "friendly" is obviously unfamiliar to that fellow. Maybe he thought it was funny. You know the sort, laughing at their own (non) jokes while their mates cringe beside them, hoping no one realises they''re together...

Mr Hughes was a tadge out of order for attempting to allegedly ''remove a vociferous and irritating spectator''s head from his upper torso''........which unfortunately, even with extreme provocation - was perhaps not the correct way for a seasoned ''pro'' to react to the incident. Personally, I think Mr Hughes should have taken a leaf out of Man City''s Joey Barton''s reaction against Everton on Saturday........and just turned the other cheek......"Bum bum!"..... ;~) [:P] 

My pet hate is fans who think that just because they "pay players wages" they can give them as much abuse as they like without expecting any sort of reaction. 

[quote user="Yellow fever"]huhges is useless so he should expect to get bood. if he doesn''t like it he should play better[/quote]

oh here we go, it''s the nightly visit with the well thought out words of wisdom from our knowledgeable Norwich fan Yellow fever. I hope that (presuming you have a job) someone boo’s in your face when they think you are not doing too well, guess they’ll have to visit Suffolk first.

[quote user="Mook"]

Temp makes the same point I tried to:

Would you (Ronbol et al) be treating the aggressor the same way if it were Safri? Or Hucks? Or Earnie?

I really, really doubt it.

[/quote]simple answer is yes i would give the same treatment to huckerby and safri it makes no difference to me. sack him he is a disgrace.

[quote user="baldyboy"]if you want to keep going on about players getting stick, i was appalled at some idiot just by me at lynn last night who constantly took the p*** out of their keeper in the second half. that was supposed to be a friendly but sadly some people have this sort of streak ingrained through them.[/quote]because its been in the game for years right or wrong. if you don''t like it , don''t go - its that simple.