Sign in to follow this  
Syteanric

Hughes and That incident

I have a feeling the performance, the atmosphere and the occasion at the final whistle became too much for Andy Hughes and he reacted in the wrong way.

I dont feel he should be sacked, but perhaps a fine for a breach of discipline is more in order. He needs to realise that fans/Customers are paying his wages and are entitled to their opinion, how ever wrong he may find them.

He should be made to apologise for his actions, either Written, Verbal or through a club statement, and should look at his conduct in fuuture

jas :)

From Pinkun :

[quote]The Norwich City fan involved in an angry confrontation with midfielder Andy Hughes says he just wants the incident to be forgotten.[/quote]

If he wants the whole thing to be forgotten, why would you care ?

Its pretty obvious that Hughes needs a move out for his own benefit...should be a priority for the new manager.

It was Hoozie''s way of telling the bloke he was factually wrong - he isn''t the worst player ever to wear a City shirt. He could have just said "didn''t you ever see Fernando Derveld?".

if Matthew Simons had said he wanted the whole Cantona Kung fu kick forgotten would it of made it any better??? no.

ok this isnt on the same level but had Hughes not been restrained then who knows what would of happened, on an Ethical question then Hughes needs to apoligse, there are Children etc at football games and he isnt setting a good example.

Agree with Hucktastic that he should perhaps be looking to move on.

Agree that he should move on for all concerned - my 9 year old nephew was standing next to the guy he was having a go at.....

Children at football games? Hmmm.

So you never sing about the referee''s self-pleasuring, or George Burley''s resemblence to the female genitalia?!

I agree Hughes has to apologise, but once that''s done the matter is finished in my book.

I''m actually very much in support of Hughes on this one. Ok it was a poor reaction and a professional footballer can''t react like thatunfortunately but to be honest after all the unfair stick Hughes has taken, I wouldn''t have minded if he''d landed on target with a sharp right hook!

Do any posters actually sit down there near the tunnel and dugouts? Just wondered what sort of abuse the manager has been getting as he stands in the technical area. I should imagine he has had to put up with loads, especially on Sunday and QPR at home last year. Has he ever reacted to it? Whatabout the supporters close to the directors box? Do they give Delia and Co. abuse during the game when things go horribly wrong? If anyone sit''s there I''d genuinely like to know.

I remember the old Main Stand, blankets and Thermos flasks, cushions for tuppence, no technical areas in those days though! I sat in there a couple of times as a kid and don''t remember the sort of abuse that Hughes got on Sunday. I''m not excusing his reaction though, and no doubt it will be dealt with in the proper way.

I watched Andy Hughes in the warm ups when he was Captain last year and he looked a really likable player. He would spend loads of time with the Match Mascot of the day making their experience more enjoyable. He would go around all the team talking to them and encouraging them. Whenever I have seen him around the fans he has always found time to chat and always had a smile on his face. Even at Plymouth last week I saw him share a joke with a fan as he was warming up on the touchline.

I don''t believe he has ever deserved the amount of abuse he has had and I have felt sorry for him and at times ashamed of us fans. It''s true he hasn''t had many good games for us though but maybe it''s just a case of being here at the wrong time and maybe it would be best for all if he was to move on. I would love to see him come good for us and I would wish him well if he moved on.

Forget his little outburst. Hughes should move on because he simply isn''t good enough to get us promoted. Either that or he should be told that he will only start a game in the case of a severe injury crisis.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

if Matthew Simons had said he wanted the whole Cantona Kung fu kick forgotten would it of made it any better??? no.

ok this isnt on the same level but had Hughes not been restrained then who knows what would of happened, on an Ethical question then Hughes needs to apoligse, there are Children etc at football games and he isnt setting a good example.

Agree with Hucktastic that he should perhaps be looking to move on.

[/quote]

Children at football matches, well it seems whenever I comment on the behaviour of the fans people just say, well it''s all good fun and part of football etc, but as soon as a player get''s nasty everybody suddenly gets on their moral high horse. So obscene and racist chants on the terrace are part and parcel of the game but a player getting called a useless c*** is fine? Most people would react to the comment that was shouted at him, I would. Do you condone the obscenities that were directed at him? If not, do you think it is OK for a child to here a fully-grown adult call another a useless c*** etc? I don''t. So who is in the wrong here?

For whatever reason Hughes has not lived up to whatever the club saw in him as a signing.  It happens.

His totally inappropriate reaction should result in a loan then sale come January - for him to get his career going again as much as a punishment.    Playing him again in future becomes unimaginable as some/many fans will not let him forget this and his quality of play will mean he is an easy target.

A fresh start is best for everyone concerned.

[quote user="iwan for manager"]I though that Derveld was actually quite a good full back.[/quote]

Strange how time affects the sense of peception! [:D]

Andy Hughes is a human being. He has feelings like all of us do. At some matches at Carrow Road he has been treated as though he is sub-human. Is it any wonder then, that eventually the torrents of abuse pouring from the stands provoked a reaction from him? I''d like all those who have condemned him out of hand, to answer honestly how they would react, if every day at work your colleagues called you all the names under the sun, and told you that you were useless and should leave. Some would leave, some would tell their bullying mates to Eff off and a few would react with a good Swardeston Winder to the jaw. I''m sure Andy is a pleasant enough guy when he''s not pushed to his limits of endurance and he deserves the fans support at such times as he''s picked for the team, whether you consider him good enough or not.

[quote][quote user="whoareyou?"]

[quote user="iwan for manager"]I though that Derveld was actually quite a good full back.[/quote]

Strange how time affects the sense of peception! [:D]

[/quote]

he he... Ahh Fernando...

I think he was one of the greats! that goal at West Brom where he ran from the half way line with the ball, played a one-two and then slotted cooly into the net! Beautiful...

OK, maybe slightly tongue in check, but he wwas great fun. Even the songs...

"There was something in the air that night..."

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

A fresh start is best for everyone concerned.

[/quote]

If the fan involved has not followed up on this (good decision mate) then I feel yes that should be the end of the matter.

As for Hughes - A new manager will arrive and it should be a fresh start for ALL PLAYERS at the club including Hughes. 

I felt like hitting someone too!

I thought the reaction of the fans was discraceful and brought shame on our club. Despite both not being up to the job they deserve our support when wearing yellow and not poisonoius, vindictive & personal abuse!

Worthy behaved with more dignity and deserves more respect than half the fans on sunday and at least half of the posters on this board IMO.

some of you!!

there will NEVER be a reasonable explanation to such an incident, it was deplorable and 100% unacceptable. hughes will get more grief now than he has ever done, and will only ever get a boo on the pitch. rightly or wrongly, human or sub human, its a part of football in the same way as the manager getting the sack becasue his millionaire players can be bothered to play to the best of their ability for 90 minutes

You''re all being too soft on Hughes in my opinion.

Who cares about the atmosphere, the occasion, what was said to him etc.... the guy is getting paid X number of thousands of pounds (some of which comes from us) every week and the least we can expect from him is to act like a professional - it''s bad enough that he isn''t good enough in the first place

Sack him, shame him publically, move on...

[quote]Sack him, shame him publically, move on...[/quote]

In those 7 words you''ve managed to sum up what is wrong with the support at the club. It''s comments like that that make me question whether I want to be a football supporter any more.  How about we just get behind the team, regardless of who they are, and how much they are paid, but because they''re our team, and they wear our shirt.

Is that really too much to ask these days ?

Agree with blablabla!  Although players are paid a lot of money and must accept criticism from fans, personal abuse to the levels that Hughes has had to put up with is unacceptable.  If you think that the fan who shouted to Hughes was in the right, then you are as big a moron as he is. 

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

I remember the old Main Stand, blankets and Thermos flasks, cushions for tuppence, no technical areas in those days though! I sat in there a couple of times as a kid and don''t remember the sort of abuse that Hughes got on Sunday. I''m not excusing his reaction though, and no doubt it will be dealt with in the proper way.

[/quote]I remember sitting there when Saunders was in charge and the cushions use to rain down on the manager, the team, the ref and those poor blokes who used to carry the scores around the pitch....The abuse from the Main Stand was probably a lot milder in those days but then I don''t think anyone would have dared have a go at Big Duncan Forbes would they?!!!Hughes should be ashamed of his reaction - he''s a football player paid a blinking fortune and he should be capable of restraining himself from reacting to a bit of the verbal stuff.

In my job i have been abused by a member of the public who thought  he had the right to say whatever he likes, ''the customer is always right'' etc.The abuse was totally unjustified and totally out of all proportion to his alledged grievance. Physically it would have been no problem for me to pick him up and smack him several times, before throwing him out of the building. this scenario briefly appealed to me, but I realised, quickly that to give this tool a thump would immediately cost me my job.   therefore i counted to ten and carried on with my work. Why is Hughes so different?

I do support the club fully - i played no part in the Worthy Out campaign and have never criticised a player at a game

but if he did that in any other profession he would be sacked - why should footballers be treated differently? Its all about professionalism

[quote user="charlies dad"]In my job i have been abused by a member of the public who thought  he had the right to say whatever he likes, ''the customer is always right'' etc.The abuse was totally unjustified and totally out of all proportion to his alledged grievance. Physically it would have been no problem for me to pick him up and smack him several times, before throwing him out of the building. this scenario briefly appealed to me, but I realised, quickly that to give this tool a thump would immediately cost me my job.   therefore i counted to ten and carried on with my work. Why is Hughes so different?[/quote]

whilst that is true you have to admit that in most jobs the sort of abuse Hughes got would not be tolerated and the person would be ejected straight away, thats doesn''t happen at football grounds.

[quote user="San Miguel"]

why should footballers be treated differently? Its all about professionalism

[/quote]Why should loud-mouthed fans be treated differently then?If you said that to someone in the street you''d expect a smack in the eye.

a hard one to call what was said didn''t really need Hughes to turn into a man possessed ,as posters have said at work you have to take the abuse iv''e had far worse aimed at me and have to stand there and take it because if i react i''m out of a job. What probably rankles with some fans is the clubs family image being tarnished . But what amazes me is the division between many fans sometimes i find it hard to believe we support the same team, bring back the 70s the Barclay againest the world lol