Sign in to follow this  
HookNorton Canary

petit rumours true?

even the daily mail this morning had a 1 liner

"First division leaders norwich want to sign world cup winner emmanuel petit, whose chelsea contract runs out in the summer"

Dumb rumour that the daily mail are just using to waste space

or

is there some truth to it now and they decided to print it????????????

being linked with names like that will be floating around all next year.

I think he would be a great signing actually Mook, it would raise the profile of the club and he is still a good player. His last three clubs have been Arsenal, Barcelona and Chelsea. My only fear would be wages....but if he helped us stay up it wouldn''t matter. This is the problem. If you sign the wrong players on big wages and you get relegated you are bummed, but I believe if you sign the right players and you stay up (Birmingham City) then who gives a monkees if you have to pay the going rate. If you don''t offer a stupidly long contract then why not go for it. We have done it with Huckerby in this division and look where we are as we took the gamble but on the right player. I feel another wages / speculate to accumalate etc arguement coming up, but I for one do not want to see us admitting defeat before the season even starts. I have said before that I think we will be ok, add a bit of quality and who knows. Losing the wages of Easton / Abbey / Rivers etc would off set that anyway. There are too many freeloaders at this club already...get rid.....lets worry about wages going on new good players rather than money seeping out of the club to players who would not even get on the bench in the Prem

I''m not sure about all these ''old experienced'' players coming in....

Certainly not Sheringham - Berkamp would be another matter altogether. As for Petite - he was a great player no doubt about that - but he''s had no first team footie for ages and I''m not sure he''s the type of player who would fit with our squad mentality.

I''d much rather see us have a sensible wage policy (and I believe Charlton do this) whereby everyone has a fair basic wage with substantial bonuses based on goals scored/clean sheets points won and league position. This truely motivates the team to do their very best, and rewards them appropriately, whilst protecting the club should we yo-yo for a year or two.

I would have though that we would be able to attract good players from Div 1 with this policy without upsetting the existing squad.

It will be interesting to see what happens - it will be a fine balance to see how much gets spent on increased wages for the current squad against money for new players - and as to the latter what proportions will be spent on transfer fees versus wages.

We are too well run a club now to worry that the money will be spent unwisely - so lets let the board and Worthy get on with it.

Put your shades on, hang on tight - its going to be one hell of a ride!!

OTBC

I''m with Mook on this - I think he''s past his best. Anyway, Worthy doesn''t seem keen on French (or Dutch, so we can rule out van Nistelroy!!) players.

I think Worthy will look for reliable British or Scandinavian players, who understand his work ethic and fitness requirements, and who will fit in with the existing squad and not disrupt their excellent togetherness and team spirit. He won''t want any prima donnas.