Sign in to follow this  
still holding out for new heroes

Sutton 'too old' - Dublin 'experienced'

You wait till Geoff Hurst comes out of retirement because  of his....

"eye of goal and his leadership quality''s"

[quote user="Matt Hudson"]

You wait till Geoff Hurst comes out of retirement because  of his....

"eye of goal and his leadership quality''s"

[/quote]

Geoff Hurst works for McDonalds, they''re a far bigger restaurant than us, I don''t think we could afford him.

I am fit but not championship fit, so whats dublin being doing since celtic, running round the block. Do me a favour some city fans will stand for anything, we deserve what we get. The majority of fans are like worthy and the board will settle for mediocrity.

[quote user="NotWorthy"]Dublin fit and was always useless in his prime .[/quote]

apparently Henry was happy at Arsenal and didn''t fancy the switch to Carrow Rd!

Moan, Moan, Moan yet again. 

Has anyone from the club said we didn''t sign Sutton cuz he''s too old?

When it was rumoured on here that we were gonna sign Tom Finney they didn''t even say he was too old!!!

My Grandad''s got a trial next week and he''s 107! I''ll let you know what they tell him!

[quote user="canary cherub"]

When it was rumoured on here that we were gonna sign Tom Finney they didn''t even say he was too old!!!

My Grandad''s got a trial next week and he''s 107! I''ll let you know what they tell him!

[/quote]

Worthers himself said Sutton was too old. I believe it was something along the lines of "There''s nothing in that one. He''s had his long, successful career. I''m after young and hungry players"

It was:

“Nothing will happen as far as Chris Sutton is concerned,” he said. “Chris has been here and done a very good job for the club and moved away and been a very, very good player over the years. He''s a bit older now, he''s had his injury problems, which would be a concern to myself so that is something that won''t happen.”

The Carling Web site says this about Dublin:

"In the January 2006 transfer window Celtic became Dublin''s eighth club when he joined the SPL side on a free transfer in a move that initially had fans scratching their heads at the logic of buying a 37 year old.

They relented, however, when he went on to score in the 3-0 Scottish League Cup Final victory against Dunfermline, and his place in Parkhead folklore was cemented. Whether he will play every game this season is unclear considering the size of the Celtic squad, but Strachan will want him as reliable back-up to his growing army of youngsters. "

I think it says it all really and if he scores goals for Norwich he will become Norwich folklore. Remember Martin Peters. Mike Channon, Joe Royle all came back and did there bit.

My recollection is that Dion Dublin played for Leicester against us last year at the Walker Stadium, as a centre back, & did well. During my time in the Midlands I saw him play once or twice for Villa where he was greatly respected, both for his goal scoring capabilities & for his very positive contributions to the greater cause (I think he was skipper at the time). It seems to me that he will fill the role that many hoped Chris Sutton would fill but, additionally, will have a very positive impact on the team as a whole, which is something I for one fear Chris Sutton would not have achieved. We have a target man to come off the bench, cover for central defence & a thoroughly good bloke. I don''t really see the problem

Best get it all off your chest in the next week or so as anti-age discrimination legislation comes into effect on October 1st.

Now about that old addage ''If you''re old enough you''re good enough'' ....... oh hang on have I got that right?!!

Bobert & Yellow Shrimper sum up my main points. He''s not currently, nor recently injured and his attitude has always been praised by managers and team-mates. As for being rubbish, as someone claimed on page 1, I think that scoring 109 goals in 300 Prem games for Coventry & Villa over 10 years compares favourably to Suttons 86 goals in 256 games over 9 years in the Prem.His goalscoring record at Leicester is much worse, however he was more often used as a centre-back at the Wa*kers stadium.I''m happy to have him as an option, particularly at a time when our wide men are dropping like flies. If the short passing game has to be curtailed for a while (due to a lack of bodies capable of playing it!), at least a ''hoof'' to Dion is more likely to end up with us in possession. The other benefit would be better cover in injury time, as the opposition hurl long balls at our crumbling defence!Let''s face it, we''re struggling to get the right sort of striker on loan and the transfer window B@lls up with Cotterill, so why not give Dion a go? After last night, maybe Ryan Jarvis can finally stand up and be counted a first team regular - he can only benefit from having Dion in to learn from (maybe he''s been missing Iwan for the last two seasons, a genuine pro to learn the ropes from).

[quote user="alex_ncfc"][quote user="canary cherub"]

[/quote]

Worthers himself said Sutton was too old. I believe it was something along the lines of "There''s nothing in that one. He''s had his long, successful career. I''m after young and hungry players"

[/quote]

[quote user="Fat Barman"]Bobert & Yellow Shrimper sum up my main points. He''s not currently, nor recently injured and his attitude has always been praised by managers and team-mates. As for being rubbish, as someone claimed on page 1, I think that scoring 109 goals in 300 Prem games for Coventry & Villa over 10 years compares favourably to Suttons 86 goals in 256 games over 9 years in the Prem.

His goalscoring record at Leicester is much worse, however he was more often used as a centre-back at the Wa*kers stadium.

I''m happy to have him as an option, particularly at a time when our wide men are dropping like flies. If the short passing game has to be curtailed for a while (due to a lack of bodies capable of playing it!), at least a ''hoof'' to Dion is more likely to end up with us in possession. The other benefit would be better cover in injury time, as the opposition hurl long balls at our crumbling defence!

Let''s face it, we''re struggling to get the right sort of striker on loan and the transfer window B@lls up with Cotterill, so why not give Dion a go? After last night, maybe Ryan Jarvis can finally stand up and be counted a first team regular - he can only benefit from having Dion in to learn from (maybe he''s been missing Iwan for the last two seasons, a genuine pro to learn the ropes from).
[/quote]

I''m really very sorry Mr. Barman, and those you have quoted in a positive light.

This post is too balanced and lacks sufficient extremism to be allowed on either this, or the other 30 threads covering the same thing in different words.

Please simply post: "I really think this England international will bag 40 goals and send us to the Premiership without us losing another game" or "I cannot believe how embarrassed I feel at Norwich bringing in someone of of this ilk. How can I ever admit to being a Norwich fan again..."

You may also feel free to include an insult aimed at various fellow posters/supporters who don''t agree with your opinion, whichever side that is...

(I know this is mischievous, but with so much over-reacting, i thought I''d have a go too...) [b]

good points there Fat Barman i would start Jarvis up front Saturday with Earnshaw and depending on the games position bring on Dublin as for all the other posts on Dublin just something else to get our civil war friends at it again

[quote user="Fat Barman"]Bobert & Yellow Shrimper sum up my main points. He''s not currently, nor recently injured and his attitude has always been praised by managers and team-mates. As for being rubbish, as someone claimed on page 1, I think that scoring 109 goals in 300 Prem games for Coventry & Villa over 10 years compares favourably to Suttons 86 goals in 256 games over 9 years in the Prem.

His goalscoring record at Leicester is much worse, however he was more often used as a centre-back at the Wa*kers stadium.

I''m happy to have him as an option, particularly at a time when our wide men are dropping like flies. If the short passing game has to be curtailed for a while (due to a lack of bodies capable of playing it!), at least a ''hoof'' to Dion is more likely to end up with us in possession. The other benefit would be better cover in injury time, as the opposition hurl long balls at our crumbling defence!

Let''s face it, we''re struggling to get the right sort of striker on loan and the transfer window B@lls up with Cotterill, so why not give Dion a go? After last night, maybe Ryan Jarvis can finally stand up and be counted a first team regular - he can only benefit from having Dion in to learn from (maybe he''s been missing Iwan for the last two seasons, a genuine pro to learn the ropes from).
[/quote] spot on FB, coud''nt have put it better myself.

What a load of rubbish you are talking! Celtic folkelore for scoring in the Scottish League Cup Final! Thats really significantChannon and peters were quality players with lots of ability.Your mate Dion has never had any ability.This club has no vision

i have to admit i did have my concerns to start with but the way i see it is hes been broguht in to add experience and add that extra dimension coming off the bench to hold the ball up and hustle big defenders aswell as providing able back up for centre back.... however this is a temporary fix until we have another transfer window or next summer... the experience will do the youngsters good and he is fit unlike sutton who has a groin injury! as long as we sign someone else to play upfront and to share the goal burden with earny aswell as bringin in another winger i think we will have done well... if we count on dublin for 15 goals then worthington will have a made a mistake

If you read the stories when Simon Charlton left, Worthy said he was too old and wanted to freshen up the team.

I guess Thorne and Dublin would  probably give us the oldest strike partnership in the entire football league, maybe even most of non-league. 

[quote user="USAcanary"]

If you read the stories when Simon Charlton left, Worthy said he was too old and wanted to freshen up the team.

I guess Thorne and Dublin would  probably give us the oldest strike partnership in the entire football league, maybe even most of non-league. 

[/quote]

I can''t remember Worthy saying Simon Charlton was too old but I could be wrong and can''t be bothered to look it up.

I guess Thorne and Dublin would be one of the oldest strike partnerships in the world ever, probably even older than that team Bobby Robson manages on the adverts, but somehow I think Earnshaw will still play!