Sign in to follow this  
Dicky

Dion Dublin

[quote user="Canary02"]

If we have to divide into camps (as it seems we always do), then I''m far closer to the Worthy Out than KTF brigade, but I actually think this could be a good signing for us. As long as he can get up to fitness standards quickly I think we''ll have a good target man on our hands. I''m looking forward to seeing him play.

(Cue deluge of numbnuts telling me I''m not a real fan or some such rubbish....)

[/quote]I always liked him Canary2 at his best he was far more mobile and better with his head than Iwan ever was, and at the present is better injury wise than Sutton ;his hold up play, plus his enthusiasm for the game will bring a touch of joy in to the Norwich game, that is if the WO moaners will allow him to express himself. For the record I played football until 45 years old and though the legs weren''t so good my keenness never was in question.  Remember Stan Matthews played top football in his 40''s as does Terry Sheringham.  If he comes I might even sing his name.

to put dublin in the same league as sheringham is a joke, even when he was younger he was not in the same league. I hope he does well because i want my team to do well at all times, i just dont think worthy and the board have the same feelings, i have been through, watling, south, chase and now delia,s mob, when are we going to get a board with a bit if drive and ambition.

[quote user="blahblahblah"][quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

I blame Blahblahblah who (I think)started the why not sign Tom Finney post for starting the idea! [;)][:P]  Did Sutton keep Dion out of the celtic team early last year?

[/quote]

I''ve just had a call from Finneys'' agent, he''s available, but only for signings of his book. 

[/quote]

too late for Finney on his way to Bolton, apparently there was something in the deal for son of big Sam

To put Dublin in the same category as Sheringham is no more of a joke than those of you trying to compare Roberts with Dublin. And Notworthy, you are so predictable you don''t even really need to post on here because I bet that any bystander could accurately guess your reaction to any piece of news relating to City! [:D]

[quote user="ricky knight"]to put dublin in the same league as sheringham is a joke, even when he was younger he was not in the same league. I hope he does well because i want my team to do well at all times, i just dont think worthy and the board have the same feelings, i have been through, watling, south, chase and now delia,s mob, when are we going to get a board with a bit if drive and ambition.[/quote] Ricky to answer your question, when the rules allow us to buy, in January, who is available who wants to come at a wage we can afford and is good enough.  If you just stand back and think about how silly your remarks are about Worthy not wanting his team to do well.  What and how will that benefit Worthy, remember he is just as much in the shop window as a manager, as also, are the players, who if they have any sense and pride are also wanting to do well.  That they are not is down to many reasons and if we are patient it will be turned round.  There are many people in life that are in many ways unsuccessful for a time but it doesn''t mean that they cannot learn from their mistakes. It also means that given time they can improve.  I might say with all due respect, your spelling and typing could do with a spot of editing to improve it.

I think morale in the dressing room will soon be reaching an all time low! When Dublin walks into the showers some of those players are going to feel very small indeed!!!

Quite happy with it? its a joke.The man has no ability whatsoever and at 37 he should be too old for worthy,as he has sais before! The manager is clueless!

[quote user="beelsie"]

[quote user="ricky knight"]to put dublin in the same league as sheringham is a joke, even when he was younger he was not in the same league. I hope he does well because i want my team to do well at all times, i just dont think worthy and the board have the same feelings, i have been through, watling, south, chase and now delia,s mob, when are we going to get a board with a bit if drive and ambition.[/quote] Ricky to answer your question, when the rules allow us to buy, in January, who is available who wants to come at a wage we can afford and is good enough.  If you just stand back and think about how silly your remarks are about Worthy not wanting his team to do well.  What and how will that benefit Worthy, remember he is just as much in the shop window as a manager, as also, are the players, who if they have any sense and pride are also wanting to do well.  That they are not is down to many reasons and if we are patient it will be turned round.  There are many people in life that are in many ways unsuccessful for a time but it doesn''t mean that they cannot learn from their mistakes. It also means that given time they can improve.  I might say with all due respect, your spelling and typing could do with a spot of editing to improve it.

[/quote]

listen mate i dont give a rats backside about being good on a pc, i earn money other ways, this is a hobby at most, not life or death, oh dear have i spelt things right so far. It would not be the first time a club is happy not to be promoted, tell me it dont happen, according to this lot, we did not make a washer being in the prem last time so whats the point in going up, thats their mentality. i have followed city since 1967 their mentality has always been the same our muppet fans will stand for anything and we do.

I''m not excactly thrilled about the signing of Dublin but i''d rather it be him that Sutton.  There''s as usual a two way angle at looking at it.  Positives: Dublin will give us the obvious skill, height and power in the air and oceans of experience as well as being another option at front.  Negatives: there must be doubts at 37 about his fitness and ability to last 90 or even 70 minutes.  Also, i''m sure everyone remembers how long Tony Cottee lasted a few years back when we signed him.  6 weeks wasn''t it?

As i said i have reservations but it makes more sense than Sutton.  

[quote]

If you read the post above on the one hand it accuses Dublin of being an ''over the hill money grabbing journeyman'' and on the other asks WTF must ryan jarvis be thinking?

Well presumably if your right about Dublin he''ll be thinking "this blokes an over the hill money grabbing journey man and as such is no threat to my place in the team"

Honestly if your going to go off on a rant at least make sense!

[/quote]

How would Dublin @ 37 year ever be able to consider that Jarvis @ 20 is an ''over the hill money grabbing journeyman''?

If you''re going to post a reply at least make sure you have read the original text !!

I''ve had a rubbish day at work and hearing we signed Dublin hasn''t helped my mood.  I hope he turns out to be a good signing but if that''s the level we''re aiming at then I''m very worried about where this club is heading.

[quote user="ricky knight"][quote user="beelsie"]

[/quote]

listen mate i dont give a rats backside about being good on a pc, i earn money other ways, this is a hobby at most, not life or death, oh dear have i spelt things right so far. It would not be the first time a club is happy not to be promoted, tell me it dont happen, according to this lot, we did not make a washer being in the prem last time so whats the point in going up, thats their mentality. i have followed city since 1967 their mentality has always been the same our muppet fans will stand for anything and we do.

[/quote] It was the reply I expected, you don''t like criticism!! I would imagine that Worthy maybe feels the same.  He carries himself well in spite of it, doesn''t he? I take it that as you admit to wisely being a fan of NCFC since 1967 if so where does that place you in the wisdom department, having put up with such mediocre football.   Perhaps you would be better served supporting Chelsea where the expectations are more likely to be reflective of the size of their bank balance.  I have noticed that Worthy does give a rat''s back-side about his results, he is made to work to his boards financial requirements as are all business managers.  Therefore our fans should more than amazed if we again reach the prem this season or next, and know that our budget is restricted as it is; for if we do get promotion then it will be a much greater achievement management, board and player-wise than Moreno winning the Prem title IMHO, and Worthy of praise indeed from our groaning group of over expectant fans. By the way I think you miss my point when I address Worthy''s position in relation to the board.

[quote user="beelsie"][quote user="ricky knight"][quote user="beelsie"]

[/quote]

[/quote] It was the reply I expected, you don''t like criticism!! I would imagine that Worthy maybe feels the same.  He carries himself well in spite of it, doesn''t he? I take it that as you admit to wisely being a fan of NCFC since 1967 if so where does that place you in the wisdom department, having put up with such mediocre football.   Perhaps you would be better served supporting Chelsea where the expectations are more likely to be reflective of the size of their bank balance.  I have noticed that Worthy does give a rat''s back-side about his results, he is made to work to his boards financial requirements as are all business managers.  Therefore our fans should more than amazed if we again reach the prem this season or next, and know that our budget is restricted as it is; for if we do get promotion then it will be a much greater achievement management, board and player-wise than Moreno winning the Prem title IMHO, and Worthy of praise indeed from our groaning group of over expectant fans. By the way I think you miss my point when I address Worthy''s position in relation to the board.[/quote]

listen mate i can take criticism, in my job i put myself up every night for just that i am in the entertainment business, myself and football is that an entertainment business. I also run my business where i have to keep paying punters happy, to do that i have to sometimes speculate to accumulate, i realise that, my argument is NCFC have always been a penny pinching club. When walker was here first time we were on the brink of being a fantastic side, two three more signings would have seen that, the board bottled it. We bottled it in the prem, we have bottled it since, then today we top it all by signing a 37 old who has scored 6 goals in 4 years, sorry but i do not feel elated, perhaps i am being a div, but i quite like seeing us in the prem league, stupid that is''nt it, i should be over the moon watching an average championship side because if i am not i am a rebel and not a real norwich supporter according to people like you, the board cant do nout wrong brigade. I have supported city for 40 yrs, it would be nice just once to get a board who have a bit of bottle and dont mind spending a few quid.

Why didn''t we snap up the ''evergreen'' Mr Dublin during the close season? He''s been a free agent since the end of last season. Could have had him playing in the pre-season kickabouts - and he would have settled in nicely by now. Utilising one of the Carra Rud golf carts - used for the infirm on matchdays, to allow Dion to follow the rest of the squad during training at Colney.  

I think if we had led the stampede for his signature pre-season, our fantastic NCFC board would have been inundated with hearty praise and congratulations from the buoyant and unfickle ''we''re all in it together y''know'' superb and tolerant supporters of NCFC - for pulling off such a major coup with the positive words of sheer excitement from the Chairycyborg Rogernator "we snatched Dion from the jaws of non-league obscurity, and ''hopefully'' with a dozen tins of ''Red Bull'' drip fed into him the night before a game -  we will at least get a hearty 21 or so creative minutes from this veteran of talent!" Bazzer Skips butts in with - "This frugal board delivers! We promised a big signing - and they don''t come much ''bigga'' than Dion!............. Err? In the team bath and showers that is"..............."Is that what you wanted me to say Mr Doncaster?" mumbled Bazza........[8-|]

We cant afford the player we all want... and if we could ... he probably wouldnt want to come...

We signed Cotteril ... and Wigan... YES... W I G A N... nicked him...

Wake up and smell the coffee....

Dion is not a loan... so we still have a few in the bank... he has bags of experience... is a top guy and pro... will be a good influence on the kids... and will probably turn a few games round... he can also cover at centre half...

And it isnt the transfer window... who else is available??... oh yeah the injured Sutton.... AND??? 

Well done Worthy and the board... it isnt Shevchenko.... but it is done.... 

Also remember football is 11 men versus 11 men... there is no magic signing.... you can not make us win... some of you think that we have a divine right... at the end of the day ... the other 11 men are trying just as hard...

Dion deserves a chance... and so do the team... chanting Worthy out is self defeating and purile... get behind the team.... and DONT recreate the pants of last year... I live miles away... dont get to many home games... but it really appalls me when the crowd get on the team''s back''s. There are loads of us listening in who wish we could be there but cant... if you can make it you owe to us to SUPPORT them... not the rubbish Notworthy was spitting.... I wish he and any others who want to destruct this club would go watch their soccer 40 miles south....

I know its two issues but they are a bit related... and whilst supporting Dion I thought Id mention the other... and Im not a KTF or WO... Im a supporter who had the (mis) fortune to be brought up in Norfolk... and thats the cross I bear... City till I die... painful as it sometimes is (Coventry last week touche)

I may be showing my age but Dion is only 5 years younger than me which puts things into perspective.

I''m sure Mr doncaster burnt the midnight oil to clinch this deal! I''m just stunned that Wigan didn''t gazump us again.

Blahblahwaghorn wrote: He might be thinking "Here''s an old pro I can learn my trade from" ???

hahahahahahha  are you kidding, the guy just scored 2 goals in the week and see''s yet another player arrive to take his position!!!  He has had enough old pro''s to learn off let alone a 37 year old whom has scored 11 goals in the last three seasons combined!!YES EVERYBODY A TOTAL OF  ELEVEN GOALS IN 3 SEASONS!!!

[quote user="August 64"]

[quote user="NotWorthy"]The Worthy out and sack the Board chants will be very loud at the Burnley game , every TRUE Norwich supporter should be truly disgusted by this signing .[/quote]

Not disgusted, therefore not a TRUE supporter according to Notworthy, but never mind the team will have to make do with my second-class support at Home Park on Saturday. 

It is not an inspiring signing but it makes some sense.  I''d rather have someone who played for Celtic last season than someone who was deemed not good enough anymore for Gillingham, or someone so injury prone that they can''t find any team to sign them.

August 64

[/quote]Played for Celtic YES, did they want to keep him NO,  did they want to keep Sutton YES...Not good enough for Leicester...  and how many other teams have shown an interest in him BlahBlahBlah??

All I can say is last year at the Leicester game (away) Dublin was the best player on the pitch his reading of the game was first class and because of that he didn''t need the missing pace. -The solution to our problem long term ..no  a calculated risk to cover 2 positions all be it for part of games... Yes

I for one would like to welcome Dion back and wish him well.

[quote user="ricky knight"][quote user="beelsie"][quote user="ricky knight"][quote user="beelsie"]

[/quote]

[/quote] It was the reply I expected, you don''t like criticism!! I would imagine that Worthy maybe feels the same.  He carries himself well in spite of it, doesn''t he? I take it that as you admit to wisely being a fan of NCFC since 1967 if so where does that place you in the wisdom department, having put up with such mediocre football.   Perhaps you would be better served supporting Chelsea where the expectations are more likely to be reflective of the size of their bank balance.  I have noticed that Worthy does give a rat''s back-side about his results, he is made to work to his boards financial requirements as are all business managers.  Therefore our fans should more than amazed if we again reach the prem this season or next, and know that our budget is restricted as it is; for if we do get promotion then it will be a much greater achievement management, board and player-wise than Moreno winning the Prem title IMHO, and Worthy of praise indeed from our groaning group of over expectant fans. By the way I think you miss my point when I address Worthy''s position in relation to the board.[/quote]

listen mate i can take criticism, in my job i put myself up every night for just that i am in the entertainment business, myself and football is that an entertainment business. I also run my business where i have to keep paying punters happy, to do that i have to sometimes speculate to accumulate, i realise that, my argument is NCFC have always been a penny pinching club. When walker was here first time we were on the brink of being a fantastic side, two three more signings would have seen that, the board bottled it. We bottled it in the prem, we have bottled it since, then today we top it all by signing a 37 old who has scored 6 goals in 4 years, sorry but i do not feel elated, perhaps i am being a div, but i quite like seeing us in the prem league, stupid that is''nt it, i should be over the moon watching an average championship side because if i am not i am a rebel and not a real norwich supporter according to people like you, the board cant do nout wrong brigade. I have supported city for 40 yrs, it would be nice just once to get a board who have a bit of bottle and dont mind spending a few quid.

Ricky !! you make some good points especially when referring to Walkers magic period.  While you may be the owner of an entertainment business.  That is an entirely a different situation where you personally call the shots and pay the bills.  The board is a collective entity and are not at the moment solvent, they are at least £20,000000 in debt and paying that off; that being the case, makes investment in players a No! No1 from the banks point of view, because they only allow borrowing against real estate, this will be normal policy but will certainly be more strictly an enforced condition especially when that debt is in place.  Also the real estate at the moment is only capable of housing  just over 25000 fans and that will only just meet the requirements demanded by the FA about the % required to meet the players wages.  Thus additional investment in players must come from additional revenue from the gate receipts.  You may not agree, but If I were Worthy and the board I would be looking for bargain players who could do a job for us from whatever league they may come from, they must be capable, being the crucial point.  Also I am not for one minute questioning your loyalty as a Norwich fan; merely questioning the disappointment you show at what I consider to be an unrealistic expectation from a team in the financial situation of our club.  If they attain promotion and were to be blessed with the revenue associated with that promotion. Then I would expect a realistic injection of cash into the player situation.

[/quote]

The Irony of this thread is incredible.

When Worthy says "Sutton is too old, I am looking for Youth"

The band of KTFs rush to his aid agreeing with Worthy, giving us the reasons why we shouldnt even bother to negotiate.

Now Dublin has signed they support the move ignoring the very reasons they gave before.

No matter what he does its blindly OK.

Maybe KTF should be changed to KTBF (keep the blind faith)

Regardless of if signing Dion is good or bad, the hypocrisy is laughable.

I can see you point of view Ricky, I particularly agree we screwed up big time not having a proper punt in the Premiership. It was ridiculous not to have signed Ashton or AN Other at the start of the campaign rather than in January. It became painfully obvious as the season progressed that we would have survived had we done so.We ended up spending the money anyway, so it was baffling to say the least. Looking at where we are now though, which is with a paper thin squad and not many options, I can''t see how having Dublin is anything other than a bit of a result. I''ll be honest, I expected no one in before January.As it is we''ve signed a player who''s aquitted himself well at all levels and a good few positions and is, from everything I''ve ever heard about the bloke, a very good pro and a good presence to have around the club. Some of our younger players could learn a lot from him, both in terms of playing skills and attitude.The mere fact that he''s 37 and still wants to play at as high a level as possible and more importantly has kept himself fit despite being clubless should speak volumes about him.I say good luck Dion, let''s give him a chance to show what he can do for us.

[quote user="beelsie"][quote user="ricky knight"][quote user="beelsie"][quote user="ricky knight"][quote user="beelsie"]

[/quote]

Ricky !! you make some good points especially when referring to Walkers magic period.  While you may be the owner of an entertainment business.  That is an entirely a different situation where you personally call the shots and pay the bills.  The board is a collective entity and are not at the moment solvent, they are at least £20,000000 in debt and paying that off; that being the case, makes investment in players a No! No1 from the banks point of view, because they only allow borrowing against real estate, this will be normal policy but will certainly be more strictly an enforced condition especially when that debt is in place.  Also the real estate at the moment is only capable of housing  just over 25000 fans and that will only just meet the requirements demanded by the FA about the % required to meet the players wages.  Thus additional investment in players must come from additional revenue from the gate receipts.  You may not agree, but If I were Worthy and the board I would be looking for bargain players who could do a job for us from whatever league they may come from, they must be capable, being the crucial point.  Also I am not for one minute questioning your loyalty as a Norwich fan; merely questioning the disappointment you show at what I consider to be an unrealistic expectation from a team in the financial situation of our club.  If they attain promotion and were to be blessed with the revenue associated with that promotion. Then I would expect a realistic injection of cash into the player situation.

[/quote][/quote]

we are not too far apart with our views, all i say is, football is an expensive business, if Delia and her mates have took us as far as they can financialy, they she get out and give someone else a chance. If you live above your means in life you eventually go under and our board obviouly dont have the clout needed to run a club this size, otherwise we would speculate to accumulate, as i have said every board since i have been supporting city have not had any bottle, i just yearn for one that does, then again i always yearned to play for city, that never happened either lol

[quote user="USAcanary"]

Regardless of if signing Dion is good or bad, the hypocrisy is laughable.

[/quote]

Oh put a sock in it!

My concerns about Sutton are many, age being the least important one.Injuries, fitness, desire, wages, attitude and actual ability left to offer us anything all come before age to me. I daresay the same applies to many who were cautious about it too. Got to love your spin skills - ever thought of applying for a job with new labour?

I''ve said before that should he sign/had he signed I''d be willing to give Sutton a chance in just the same way I''m willing to give Dion a chance and I''d be delighted if he made me eat my words. Difference is, the people who actually make the decisions have, so far decided that its too risky. I''ve heard he''s injured anyway, so exactly what use would he be to us right now?

I haven''t read maany of the posts on here I just want to say I feel positive about Dion joining us, he will bring a lot to the dressing room and is a plan B for the likes of the Palace game.

Imagine too a match like Southend away, he could have come on to hold the ball up or even deal with their long ball finish by bolstering the defence.

I think he might be a one year talisman, give him a chance everyone, you may be very surprised and he could hardly do less than Peter ''what''s he for'' Thorne.

Spot on USA, myself i will give any player in the yellow and green shirt a chance to prove himself...BUT i think this club is in a pathetic state, our manager really does not have a clue about his own opinions one minute 32 and 33 year olds are not what we are looking for then a few months later and we sign 37 year old Dublin, lets face it we signed the next England number 9 when we got Ashton, and yes that went a bit ti*s up but at least we were showing ambition (and he would still be here if we had signed better players and stayed up), a couple of seasons later and we are unable to sign anyone of note and bringing in Dublin is the best we can manage and Worthy talks as if its the biggest signing ever, i''m sorry but as nice a bloke as Dion seems to be he is not the man to move this club forward, yeah i''m sure he will score and make the odd goal but for god sake he is no Ashton and not a step forward.

[quote user="Gamera"]I love how all of you on the board speak like you have an inside knowledge of the club. Like Worthy had the phone numbers of Dublin and Sutton in each hand, and was "inee meeni mini mo".We know very little about the situation. All of the people on here screaming for a target man. He''s not expensive, he''ll do a job. Age makes no difference. Sheringham anyone? Wait until they play before judging them, three years over Sutton? For god sake, at that kind of age does 3 years really make any difference?![/quote]Er yeah I think it does, if 3 years doesn''t make a difference lets sign someone 3 years older than Dubbers!

I guess hard up Leicester who were good enough to let the old boy train with them didn''t consider putting in a bid then? Steve Walsh, Tony Cottee anybody?

Come on all 37 year olds deserve a break!!!

I had a cracking game on Tuesday night, admittedly in small town called Alsager. Going to get myself a honest agent and think the big time beckons...

On a more serious point, I would have prefered Sutton, but Dublin could fill a gap and any signing is welcome in my books.

So give the guy a chance to prove himself please.