Sign in to follow this  
Tom NCFC

STOP MOANING ABOUT DUBLIN!!!

He has got to be a valuable asset if only for the fact that we now have a forward who is good in the air, therefore allowing us to play the passing game out to the flanks, or alternatively, the high ball down the middle.  Personally I think he will do well and at least we will not have to suffer watching Earnie compete with those 6'' central defenders.  I''m so confident I have put him down as one of the scorers against Plymouth.

The last season he was considered a prolific goal scorer was back in his Coventry days [Alvin Stardust was at number one that year I recall] he hasn''t impressed since, 15 barren years later and at 37 Worthington signs him, which is quite impressive because it''s not often a manager gets to  sign a player older than himself. He is famous for nutting Savage though, so deserves some respect.

[quote user="ronbol ronbol"](only opinions on the team - and yes dublin is still garbage)[/quote]Listen, no player wearing the shirt is garbage as far as I''m concerned, I don''t care who signed them.I''ll base my opinion on what I see on the field of play, nothing else, and certainly not a load of drivel posted by someone who sounds like he''s stayed up way past his bedtime and overdosed on Vimto.Now calm down, and get off to bed. School in the morning.

[quote user="Herb"][quote user="ronbol ronbol"]
(only opinions on the team - and yes dublin is still garbage)
[/quote]

Listen, no player wearing the shirt is garbage as far as I''m concerned, I don''t care who signed them.
I''ll base my opinion on what I see on the field of play, nothing else, and certainly not a load of drivel posted by someone who sounds like he''s stayed up way past his bedtime and overdosed on Vimto.
Now calm down, and get off to bed. School in the morning.
[/quote]

LOL, are you kidding?

You certainly had an opinion on us signing Sutton.

You do know how silly you sound?

[quote user="Herb"][quote user="ronbol ronbol"](only opinions on the team - and yes dublin is still garbage)[/quote]Listen, no player wearing the shirt is garbage as far as I''m concerned, I don''t care who signed them.I''ll base my opinion on what I see on the field of play, nothing else, and certainly not a load of drivel posted by someone who sounds like he''s stayed up way past his bedtime and overdosed on Vimto.Now calm down, and get off to bed. School in the morning.[/quote]still throwing those insults about, you must have shares in them.I am always available to talk on matchdays in brannigans , if you yourself are old enough for a pint. maybe I will see you in there.

[quote user="USAcanary"]

LOL, are you kidding?

[/quote]I did have (do have) an opinion on Sutton. If he was wearing the yellow shirt I''d be behind him the same as any other player.Your point is?

[quote user="Blub Blub Blub"]

Dublin is garbage , yes he is and the person who signed him is worse than garbage.

[/quote]

Gosh, you (and Ronbol x 2 before you) ARE upset aren''t you, I have to

wonder, is it all worth it? How do you cope when REALLY bad things in

life happen? Come on you yellows.

For me its not to do with Dublin, who I have know doubt will give his all and give us something - but more around the conflicting statements from the club - ambition with prudence, wanting young and hungry players, getting in players better than we already have, developing a club with long term objectives; 

The actions the club takes do not match its statements - and that is where the frustration come in.   When we see Dion on the pitch I have no doubt he will get the fans backing.

That''s just it, Zip, will he? And if so, for how long?

The club are at fault for leading people astray, that''s without a doubt. But Dion Dublin''s ability as a footballer has never been in question. That is why he has international caps, a fair number of premier league goals, played as an awesome central defender at the highest level not too long ago (I remember them specifically praising his defending and leadership on MOTD) and still did a job for Celtic when up there last season.

This is why the bickering starts. People say he''s garbage - they are wrong. Then you get the counters who will put their argument badly having been riled.

And so it degenerates into another Yah Boo Sucks slanging match...

[quote]more around the conflicting statements from the club - ambition with prudence, wanting young and hungry players, getting in players better than we already have, developing a club with long term objectives;  [/quote]

Any organisation or indeed person that issues as many quotes to the media as NCFC / Doncaster / Worthington do will eventually be accused of sending conflicting messages. 

Ambition with prudence, long-term objectives - The club do have ambitious long-term objectives, and this can be seen in bricks and mortar investments (the conference suite, the restaurant, etc) which will make money long-term, too long-term for some, who would rather see more money spent on players, and thats a valid argument.  However, just because we sign Dion Dublin on a 1 year contract doesn''t mean that the club don''t still have long-term objectives.  His signing is a practical solution to the problem of not being able to sign Howard or Hulse.

Wanting young and hungry players - a quote which I believe the Pinkun web team couldnt find when asked, but which was attributed to Worthington - we got Lee Croft, we tried to get Coterrill, but you can''t fill a first team solely with young and hungry players, there has to be a balance.  Yesterdays'' main story on this site was an interview with Worthington about Jarvis, and how he will get a chance to prove himself. 

http://new.pinkun.com/content/ncfc/story.aspx?brand=PINKUNOnline&category=Norwich&tBrand=PinkUnOnline&tCategory=Norwich&itemid=NOED22%20Sep%202006%2007%3A52%3A34%3A177

If he doesn''t / can''t prove himself at Championship level, we have backup in Dion Dublin. 

The fact is that misrepresentation of the club on message boards is widespread and often caused by people with ulterior motives, and often gets mistaken for truth.  People take a quote about one thing, the original facts and opinion become merged with the slant that the poster wishes to give them, and the end result gets applied to everything the club tries to do.  And that I believe is the cause of the frustration.

[quote user="ronbol ronbol"][quote user="Herb"][quote user="ronbol ronbol"]
dublin is garbage
[/quote]

Lets pick you on Saturday instead! I bet you''d dazzle us with the skills you''ve been honing sat in front of your PC...
Having a go at a Norwich City player before they''ve even kicked a ball in anger?
Shame on you and go crawl back under your rock !
[/quote]

we are not talking about me playing up front, only a cart horse called dublin.
I am however talking about the true level of ambition at this club.  so many on this board are happy with the sub standard football this team is turning out.
It makes me sick just how many people continue to defend worthy and the dross that is served up at carrow road of recent times. I am and have always been prepared to stand up and speak my mind. I do not feel the need to travel round this message board throwing insults at it''s users. (only opinions on the team - and yes dublin is still garbage)

[/quote]

You say you don''t throw insults to fellow posters but you don''t mind doing it to players who haven''t even put a yellow jersey on yet, I find this a little odd. For someone who is "garbage" at his trade he seems to have done OK. I think it would be better to say that you don''t rate him too highly becuase if he is garbage what does that make our team, or indeed most other championship teams and lower division teams? maybe you should follow Chelsea then.

[quote user="ronbol ronbol"][quote user="Herb"][quote user="ronbol ronbol"]
dublin is garbage
[/quote]

Lets pick you on Saturday instead! I bet you''d dazzle us with the skills you''ve been honing sat in front of your PC...
Having a go at a Norwich City player before they''ve even kicked a ball in anger?
Shame on you and go crawl back under your rock !
[/quote]

we are not talking about me playing up front, only a cart horse called dublin.
I am however talking about the true level of ambition at this club.  so many on this board are happy with the sub standard football this team is turning out.
It makes me sick just how many people continue to defend worthy and the dross that is served up at carrow road of recent times. I am and have always been prepared to stand up and speak my mind. I do not feel the need to travel round this message board throwing insults at it''s users. (only opinions on the team - and yes dublin is still garbage)

I think the jury has decided that there is no case to answer through lack of substantiated evidence.  What we have heard is circumstantial and uncorroborated tripe.

[/quote]

[quote user="USAcanary"]

[quote user="Herb"][quote user="ronbol ronbol"]
(only opinions on the team - and yes dublin is still garbage)
[/quote]

Listen, no player wearing the shirt is garbage as far as I''m concerned, I don''t care who signed them.
I''ll base my opinion on what I see on the field of play, nothing else, and certainly not a load of drivel posted by someone who sounds like he''s stayed up way past his bedtime and overdosed on Vimto.
Now calm down, and get off to bed. School in the morning.
[/quote]

LOL, are you kidding?

[/quote]USA I would have signed them both, but the fact is Sutton is unfit and recovering from recent opperation therefore IMHO is out of the equasion, plus I am sure Dublin will do well, especially with the younger lads who will gain experience in training with him. His off the ball running is a skill that we don''t seem to be too great at, and we will benifit from his input.

Dion will get thefans backing (or am I being naive?),  as long as he shows he is worth being on the pitch ahead of thealternatives - jarvis,thorne etc.  And if he cant do that then he is not better than we have and shouldnt be playing.

He will then get criticism whenit should be at themanager for continuing to playi him when and if his performances are not good enough.

"I am looking for hungry players,” said Worthington  is mentioned in this story  http://new.pinkun.com/search/story.aspx?brand=PINKUNOnline&category=Norwich&itemid=NOED28%20Dec%202005%2008:12:33:403&tBrand=PINKUNOnline&tCategory=search 

and

Both fit the “young and hungry” billing that Worthington is looking for;  comes from this story afthttp://new.pinkun.com/search/story.aspx?brand=PINKUNOnline&category=Norwich&itemid=NOED23%20Jan%202006%2012:32:34:433&tBrand=PINKUNOnline&tCategory=search 

I dare say a similar check of EDP/EN/NCFC club site/BBC will reveal similar quotes.   I apologise for my inaccurate memory in clearly twisting these articles to fit my needs- given it contains a direct quote from Nigel Worthington.

Clearly the club do have long term plans with ambition.  However those are hard to square with a squad/on field  strategy to utilise loan players to cover for in adequate strength in depth within our own playing squad,  blooding other teams youngsters or signing Dublin in place of bringing on our own youth development program.    We have had comments like those about yesterdays for Jarvis before yet had precious little evidence of it when it comes to competetive league matches rather than a league cup game.

It is these types of actions that I refer to - not misrepresenting facts (on this occassion anyway [;)] - just my opinion on what I see happening and my perception of a conflict between actions and words - all passed off as my opinion and not fact,  but nevertheless informed opinion based on some logical reading of a situation;  clearly I have become a member of the lunatic activist in recent days. 

I am off to hide under the stairs in case the security forces have been tipped off about the high level threat to national and club security I am!

[quote] Clearly the club do have long term plans with ambition.  However those are hard to square with a squad/on field  strategy to utilise loan players to cover for in adequate strength in depth within our own playing squad,  blooding other teams youngsters or signing Dublin in place of bringing on our own youth development program[/quote]

Dublin has been brought in to complement Ryan Jarvis, not neccesarily to take his place.  The Worthington interview I linked above says that Jarvis "has to take his chance".  It''s not Dublin instead of Jarvis, it''s Dublin aswell as Jarvis.  As for loan players to bolster the squad, the first team squad very rarely take part in reserve games anymore.  This means that if they''re not picked, they''re picking up a wage for training and bench warming.  If we have to use loans and keep squad numbers down in order to sign and keep key players like Earnshaw and Huckerby, then that''s fine by me.

[quote]...blooding other teams youngsters [/quote]

It was a well known fact that we needed cover for Drury, I''m sure you must have said so yourself on this board.  Rossi Jarvis hasn''t played in the Championship for us, to use him exclusively while Drury is injured would be a "sink or swim" decision of the worst order.

[quote]Young and hungry. [/quote]

Thanks for the links.  So :

1. Worthington said that we won''t be signing Robbie Fowler because he''s not hungry enough and has 80 houses.

2. An unnamed journalist in your second linked story then turns that quote into players that fit a "young and hungry" billing because we tried to target young players during the summer but for whatever reason couldn''t bring them in.

3. People then have a go at Worthington for making the pragmatic short-term decision to bring in Dublin because the people negotiating for the young and hungry players in the summer couldn''t get them in at a price the club could afford / were gazumped on deadline day.

Does that seem fair on Worthington to you ?  Or is it just easier to blame Worthington (who went on record as being seethingly frustrated at the lack of funds available for players in the summer) than other people at the club because he''s the most visible ?

I thought it was a fiction that the club wanted young and hungry players and that the quotes did not exist??  Make you mind up - do the comments exist or not?  Am I making them up? Are archant now fictionalising their records too?  Ask them why the author is recorded for a couple articles - although perhaps you can explain to me why that should lessen their authenticity?  

I searched and found in them a couple of minutes.  I did this to support my ageing and failing memory, mainly to demonstrate to myself that what I remember reading did exist and was not the ranting of a city fan suffering for rapid onset dementia and unknowingly creating and or perpetuating anti club propaganda.  It is clear that the young and hungry quote refers to a previous article/report that my brief search did not trace - so there will be more out there but its pointless trying to procide fact based argument on here any more.

In any event surely its right that the club should be looking for young and hungry players?

Many of our young players could have been given pitch time towards the end of last season but the opportunity was not taken - that has been a regular feature of Nigels leadership;  

Yes  we do need experienced cover at left back and I have called for;  that is not what we have loaned in. If we are to use an inexperienced player why not one of our own rather than a 19 yo from Everton with no more experience that our own youngsters?  Do we play both a reserve team and youth teams without a left back???  Had our youngsters been given that brief opportunity they may now be ready for a championship game rather than still being an exposed reserve player.

I dont think signing Dion is a nail in the managers coffin;   but it is a sad state of affairs that pragmatism dictates the neccessity to sign an ageing out of contract player who has had weeks to have found a club by had not.  I need no explanation as to why he has been signed now - I just struggle to accept that we find ourselves in the position where we had such a need 8 weeks into a season and 5 months after a season has ended.

I attempt  to be balanced in my comments - but clearly I am a failing.  

[quote]In any event surely its right that the club should be looking for young and hungry players?[/quote]

It is right, and they have been looking.  It is wrong to knock NW though when we fail to get the players that he targets.  Maybe we need better negotiators, maybe we need more money.  I don''t know.  My point was that as NW''s responsiblity is solely to identify the players, not to purchase them, it''s a bit harsh to blame him when the players go elsewhere for reasons that are beyond his control.  Agreed ?

[quote]Many of our young players could have been given pitch time towards the end of last season but the opportunity was not taken - that has been a regular feature of Nigels leadership[/quote]

Do you actually remember the atmosphere at the end of last season ?  Do you think the crowd would have got behind an inexperienced young pro finding his way and making mistakes in that atmosphere ? 

[quote]Yes  we do need experienced cover at left back and I have called for;  that is not what we have loaned in. If we are to use an inexperienced player why not one of our own rather than a 19 yo from Everton with no more experience that our own youngsters? [/quote]

From wiki (I too have a fading memory) :

During the 05/06 campaign Boyle had loan spells at Walsall, Rushden and Diamonds and Chester City.

Hardly championship level you could argue, but more match time at a comparable level than Rossi Jarvis has had.  And he''s done well so far, and is probably cheap, which appeals to the board, another short-term, pragmatic decision.

[quote]I attempt  to be balanced in my comments - but clearly I am a failing[/quote]

You have been balanced and have expressed yourself extremely well as usual.  I just choose to differ.

[quote user="blahblahblah"]

Wallow Mucko

Yes.

I

Do.

Do

You

Want

To

See

The

Shrine

In

My

Potting

Shed ?

PS Congrats on being the alpha eedjut on here.  Quite an acheivement :)

[/quote]

Why thanks Blairx3 old chum!

"I am tearful and choked by your token of esteem -  finding the time to reply and acknowledge my pathetic existence! No doubt then, that makes you the self-appointed "Right you people! I''m talking now!" Pink''un forum resident  supreme being.......I bow to the fact that you have the humility to respond to me - the forum alpha eedjut.......I''m most humbled, and will never clean my keyboard an'' monitor again.........some achievement - yes sireee! Yipee! I''m absolutely ecletic![:|]

I don''t fancy being alone with you in your potting shed though.......I actually find you quite uninteresting - and I bet you drink mild.......Still, I''m only an ''alpha'' eedjut and I ''beta'' be off, as I don''t wish to cramp your copy and pasting style. Cherry Pie! ;~)[8-|]

[quote user="Cyril Z Snodgrass"][quote user="blahblahblah"]

another short-term, pragmatic decision

[/quote]

Is that a euphemism for panic decisions necessary due to lack of chorent long term planning.

[/quote]Do I smell a binner?3 posts and your lack of ability to spell coherant rings alarm bells frankly...

Blimey, are we all still talking about Dion Dublin?  The guys had more pages written about him in 24 hours than some players get in a whole career.  Feel like he''s been hear all of his 37 years!

The haste of youth, still a life to live, typing not the spelling but then there are facts and there are interpretations. Shame you cannot hear the bells ringing for the future of the club with Worthington as the manager. Selective hearing, maybe.  

Surely this dispute about Dion  has gone on long enough ?    the mans  cost nothing to the club [ in football terms ! ]    and is reported to be able to play !   which is  a big improvement on Louis Jean   !!   

Much has been  made of his age  , which , no doubt , is why he couldn`t find other interested clubs ?   but he`s been condemned  by more than a few posters   before he`s  kicked a ball !  they could well feel a bit silly  if  he DOES   prove  he can hack it  for us .... and my gut feeling is that, today, he`ll score !    Dion has NO attitude problems  [ McKenzie / Francis ]    and will set out to prove he`s still got it  .....

I predict we will beat Plymouth  3-1 [;)]

I agree with Dublin being pretty Average but my gripe is with the club.

Why sign a 37 year old till the end of the season when we could of got a 27 year old on a 3 year deal who we could of got a bit of cash for should the opportunity arise.

didnt Nigel Worthington say he was signing "young and hungry"? yet more proof that the man B****its his way through his job.

jas :)

[quote user="Mello Yello"][quote user="blahblahblah"]

Wallow Mucko

Yes.

I

Do.

Do

You

Want

To

See

The

Shrine

In

My

Potting

Shed ?

PS Congrats on being the alpha eedjut on here.  Quite an acheivement :)

[/quote]

Why thanks Blairx3 old chum!

"I am tearful and choked by your token of esteem -  finding the time to reply and acknowledge my pathetic existence! No doubt then, that makes you the self-appointed "Right you people! I''m talking now!" Pink''un forum resident  supreme being.......I bow to the fact that you have the humility to respond to me - the forum alpha eedjut.......I''m most humbled, and will never clean my keyboard an'' monitor again.........some achievement - yes sireee! Yipee! I''m absolutely ecletic![:|]

I don''t fancy being alone with you in your potting shed though.......I actually find you quite uninteresting - and I bet you drink mild.......Still, I''m only an ''alpha'' eedjut and I ''beta'' be off, as I don''t wish to cramp your copy and pasting style. Cherry Pie! ;~)[8-|]

[/quote]

Touched a raw nerve there MY? Perhaps you are less Mellow and more Over Sensitive Yellow.

I think blahblahblah has made his excellent point superbly with evidence to back him. At the end of the day Dublin''s arrival only offers us positives. If he is fit, which he must be to bring him here, he can cover us at the back and come on upfront to become a target man for Croft/Hucks crosses and hold the ball up and use a wise/ultra-experienced head when we are hanging on against teams throwing the kitchen sink at us (ring any bells?).

If he is not fit or up to standard it is no big loss. He is costing us practically nothing and in a summer and transfer window in which we have been ever so unlucky he does not represent the entire transfer philosophy and forward planning of the board/manager. He is no threat/stifler to Jarvis - he is competition and another player he can learn from. If Ryan is good enough he will make himself impossibly unpickable - and he will want to get into the team because of that reason alone.

The fact that Dion hasn''t even stepped onto a pitch yet in a Norwich shirt and so many people are putting the knife in is a very sad indicator of how spiteful/spoiled/fickle/cynical many of our supporters are - and so many pollute/poison this website. These are the same people who would be slating ''Worthless'' if Dion was pulling on a Binners shirt instead - "another player who could do the business in a tiny squad, who would cost us pennies, has been left to slip through our fingers ... cheers Worthy continue to destroy this club on a daily basis" ... I can it hear it now.

OTBC