Sign in to follow this  
CambridgeCanary

I've Seen Fire and I've Seen Rain............

I first saw City in 1970 and we''ve had great times and terrible ones.  That''s football.  The unpredictability of the game mixed with the blind hope and passion for City make a very bittersweet experience.

Hawever bad things have been, I have always has the optimism that next week could be different, City can turn it round.   I always believe City can win the next game and even when wrong, I look forward to next time.

Now, it feels very different and it has puzzled me as to why.  Then it came to me.

A football club is an organic entity.  It grows and changes.  Good times pass and bad times improve.   There was always the knowledge that if the team was failing then the Board would act to turn it round. 

And they did.  Personally I thought Chase''s sacking of Brown was wrong but it gave us Stringer''s golden era; Saunders led to Bond as so on.

What it different now is that this fall back safety valve has gone.   I now believe that no matter how bad things get - and can they get much worse than the last 2 weeks in the context of the last 2 seasons?- nothing will change.   I value continuity.  I value a club that tries to put good football on the pitch and old fashioned qualities of loyalty and respect for staff off it.

BUT, there is a huge gulf between those values and unquestioning faith.

Just as an alcoholic cannot change until acknowledging the problem and will not accept the problem until skid row is hit, so this Board is so blinded by faith and self belief in its judgement that it will not recognise the problem until disaster strikes.  The denial at the Club is endemic.

There is no save the Club element waiting to act.  Amazingly, not even the owners will act to stop this spiral.  This cannot end on the pitch or at Colney.  If that were so then it would have happened by now.   We are bound to this management and this team until it is to late.  Disaster will strike and only then can the rehabilitation begin.  I only hope that we are still in the Championship then.

This is something I haven''t seen.  All I and we can do is stand, watch and hope.  Even if we end up in the Conference, the Club will survive and I''ll be a supporter.

Football....don''t you love it.

My gloomy thoughts are confirmed by the revelation that Worthy does not feel pressure.

I have a dreadful feeling that he is telling the truth.  That says it all!!!!

Mind you, in what kind of commercial organisation could a manger fail like this and not feel pressure.  It borders on the surreal.

I couldn''t agree more with these sentiments.   The normal football processes at another club would have seen a change in the manager''s chair but here we have a manager, on the radio after the match, saying he is not under pressure.   Why should this be?    How can we enjoy such support, attract so much devotion, and be so consistently poor.  Why are the fans, who constitute the club whatever the shareholding may say, so helpless.  There must be change and very soon, or we shall slip into real trouble.   Something at the club, possibly in the Board/Manager relationship. is very wrong.

Maybe Delia will call for reinforcements - and recall her favorite ''I really wanted him to stay'' Blarneymeister Hamilton - to give Nigel a little assistance in managing this prudent football club? That has a major priority to corporate entertainment, food outlets and construction on a large scale.

Is Bob the builder Chase still hiding in the boardroom cupboard?[:-*]

And, when are we to reap and bear the fruits of this massive development of  the ''Buttress'' Carrow Road theme park?

Money from the development of NCFC - and the sale of playing members will be pumped back into the squad! Really? Or is it the shareholder''s tight purses? Allegedly!

[quote user="Mello Yello"]

Maybe Delia will call for reinforcements - and recall her favorite ''I really wanted him to stay'' Blarneymeister Hamilton - to give Nigel a little assistance in managing this prudent football club? That has a major priority to corporate entertainment, food outlets and construction on a large scale.

Is Bob the builder Chase still hiding in the boardroom cupboard?[:-*]

And, when are we to reap and bear the fruits of this massive development of  the ''Buttress'' Carrow Road theme park?

Money from the development of NCFC - and the sale of playing members will be pumped back into the squad! Really? Or is it the shareholder''s tight purses? Allegedly!

[/quote]

Chase isnt around, but i bet he''s wetting himself with the situation now! we had our best years under him, with the exception of 2 seasons we have been a shambles under the current regime.

jas :)

best post on here for ages. i also first went in the 70s. this has to be sorted out and fast or things could turn nasty.we need a fresh approach.the whole thing is becoming a joke. worthy has to go.

Cambridge, that is one of the best and most articulate posts I have seen in ages.  Good effort.

Excellent post. In all the years I''ve been going, it''s never felt like this. In the late 90s, when we really were average with no real hope of promotion, it never felt like this. They say that being a fan is all about hope - there''s always hope. But here''s the rub for me - I don''t expect we''ll lose against Burnley, not now. But then I really really don''t expect anything out of the Brum away game. And sadly, I think the poisonous atmosphere at Carrow Road is waiting in the wings to return....

I think this thread sums up why i gave up my season ticket after 15 years. I can support a club through thick and thin, but i cant support a club which isnt even trying.