Sign in to follow this  
Ramrod

NORWICH: THE WILDERNESS YEARS!

[quote user="Ramrod"]Here they come again; looming over the horizon. Is it too late to prevent?[/quote]

Probably;  there are rarely quick fixes in football and it may take a second manager in 3 years to get things right.  For me it is, and has been for some, time clear that this is a ship that Nigel Worthington can no longer turn around. 

I think it probably is Ramrod. Unfortunately the lack of long term investment in the squad and the purchase of sub standard players - which are both the boards and Worthingtons doing will mean any new manager will need to be a miricle worker to get us challenging for promotion at the end of this season or even the next 2 - 3 or longer. That is unless we attract some significant new investment from outside the club.

For many seasons I have felt Worthington to be a limited manager (even the promotion season) but the longer this goes on - there is only one place fans should really vent their anger - and that is towards the board of this club. They are the ones that are blindly putting faith in their loyal foot soldier, they are the ones that have thrown away the fantastic financial opportunity the sadly too brief foray into the Premiership gave us.

We currently have a squad so thin and lacking quality in depth its criminal - almost professional negligence - the last player we attracted was a 37 year has been.

I think the board stick with Worthington because he is the target for the fans frustrations around the underachievement of the team - because it protects them, and they will do so as long as they can.

However I believe the time will come soon when they feel they have to do something (and alot of people will think what a strong forward thinking ambitious board we have) - but for me unless they also find £5m+ from behind the drinks cabinet where they have been stashing it then no new manager will make the slightest difference in the short /medium term as the damage has been done - they have stuck with Worthington for too long.

I think you are right:

The start we had provided false hope and it now appears that the adrenalin rush has subsided and we are back to where we were last season. I truly hope that the board have given worthy the 10 game challenge this time around and they will act upon it. There ARE managers out there who are available who could do a better job than Worthington. Lets push the boat out and go for Curbishley. The board have always said Charlton are the club we strive to be... what better way to try and emulate them than approach the man who was responsible for their successes over the past 15 years.

Finally, Ramrod; where does your name come from? Are you a Springsteen fan???

I do like Springsteen but Ramrod is just a reflection of my thrusting style, giving it to you straight and all that!