Sign in to follow this  
Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB

What is happening to us?

This message board is not much fun these days is it. We have a good start to the season the message board is full of "pro club smugness", we get one point from 12 and is the turn of the "WO" brigade. Please all of you get real, there is still a long way to go in the season and there is only 10 points separating first and last spot. To start touting us as league winners or play off contenders after five games is absurd, and to write us off after nine games is equally absurd. I am as unhappy with our current run of form as the next person, and I am particularly concerned at our poor away form but the reaction on this message board is close to mass hysteria!!. Please do not get me wrong if things are still as bad at the turn of the year then I would be looking for the board to do the right thing, but it is till far too early to be judging (either positively or negatively) where we are going to finish this season. 

"...if things are still as bad at the turn of the year..."! You come out with a crass comment like that and wonder why people on this Board are not full of glee - priceless!

My God, how long do you want Worthington to have to drag us down even further??!!

sad things is the start of the season promised good football, but things have gone a little pear shaped and we need a good morale boosting victory, especially away from home. But it''s down to the players as much as the manager, give or take the odd injury this is the team that started with confidence this season, so let''s be optimistic because we know the talent is there. It''s not all doom and gloom quite yet, is it?

[quote user="LinkNR9"]

"...if things are still as bad at the turn of the year..."! You come out with a crass comment like that and wonder why people on this Board are not full of glee - priceless!

My God, how long do you want Worthington to have to drag us down even further??!!

[/quote]

SOB:

I suggest you listen to Link, because he''s spot on mate!.

Snakepit - I suggest January for a few reasons, firstly we would have played enough games to truly gauge how things are going, secondly there would still be enough time and games for a new manager to have an effect and thirdly the transfer window would be open and a new manager would be able to bring in permanent signings rather than rely on loan signings.

Link - Am I surprised that a voice of reason gets shouted down, the answer to that question is sadly "no". I say "if" because unlike you I cannot see into the future and I would much rather judge the situation on the basis of the facts of what has happened rather than on the basis of what might happen.

That said to be absolutely clear about where I stand, if say we were looking at 1 point out of 30 then I would again expect the board to do the right thing.

sorry sob, but its the manner of defeat that getting the masses revolting.  the poor displays against average sides like coventry & pymouth and a second-bester against a 4 game winless palace, is beginning to smack too much of last season for many.  if we''re playing like we''re not even at the races, it naturally doesn''t bode well for a top 6 challenge in many people''s eyes.  of course you''re right, there''s plenty of time for us to regain ground and get a run going, but we''re now winless in 4, as palace were.  however, they came to carra rd and looked up for it, never giving up and eventually getting their reward.  in comparison, it sounds like we were always struggling today at plymouth.  the squad is underperforming again. can hunter offer new ideas to bring the players up? 

[quote user="Sons of Boadicea"]

Snakepit - I suggest January for a few reasons, firstly we would have played enough games to truly gauge how things are going, secondly there would still be enough time and games for a new manager to have an effect and thirdly the transfer window would be open and a new manager would be able to bring in permanent signings rather than rely on loan signings.

Link - Am I surprised that a voice of reason gets shouted down, the answer to that question is sadly "no". I say "if" because unlike you I cannot see into the future and I would much rather judge the situation on the basis of the facts of what has happened rather than on the basis of what might happen.

That said to be absolutely clear about where I stand, if say we were looking at 1 point out of 30 then I would again expect the board to do the right thing.

[/quote]

As you say, we can''t see into the future. However, I can use the past couple of seasons'' poor performances as a yard stick. Try this for an analogy - if a dog has bitten you a couple of times in the past, you''d be pretty dumb not to expect it to sink its canines into your ar*e in the future. Surely, even you can see where we''re headed?  

The facts - as you seem keen to allude to them - are that our joke of a manager has failed to deliver over the past couple of seasons. The fact is that we can''t buy anything like respectable away form; actually, we''re absolutely awful away from home - fact. Fact - we''re three points off a relegation place and playing like a shambles. "I would much rather judge the situation on the basis of the facts of what has happened". What, like the fact that we''ve gained just 1 point in 12 over the past month? The fact that we can''t beat a team that hasn''t won at home this season until the NCFC Charity Shop arrives in town?

"The voice of reason"? Yeah, right! And you''ve got the cheek to suggest that Wiz is a sheep - do the words ''pot'', ''kettle'' and ''black'' mean anything to you?

LGT - As I said in my original post I am as unhappy as the next person about the way things are going at the moment, personally I am not going to panic yet about our prediciment. My post was more about the "battle lines" that have been drawn up on this message board, for people like myself it is not a lot of fun, as some of the responses to my original message have illustrated.

SOB - I am with you in many ways- we have had 5 good and 4 bad games this season.  It seems we are either simply superb or as bad any anything ever was;  actually the truth is somewhere in the middle - however where real improvements needed to be seen (away and against the best sides) has not materialised although the easiest to fix, style of play, is or was substantially better.

The problem the club had is that after such a poor season last year the fans reactions were always going to more polarised.

I have maintained my stance throughout but can see why the board will not yet change the mnager.  However my best guess is that they too may think that January is too late IF current form continues.

The financial cost of sacking Nigel is the same no matter when it takes place - so when is the optimal time?  You suggest Jan - I suggest the board may look to lae Oct to mid November because.

• It gives the board even more ''evidence'' as to whether Nigel can or can not really make a difference - even now the ''good'' games still outweigh the ugly this season 
  • It gives the club time to sign a new manger before Dec
  • That will give the new man 4 weeks to assess the squad and identify key targets (although hat neednt apply if its hunter)
  • and t will minimise the length of time the new manager is in place before he can really utilise the rumoured £3m transfer budget - it is only when he can truly use that cash that things will change - new blood and a stronger squad;  one or two short term loanees is not enough.

What the fans have to accept is that whoever any new manager is it is highly unlikely that they will have a Dowie like impact,  that is the exception to the norm.  The new man will need at least 18 months to show his real worth as until then the building blocks will not have been his own.  Even Burley with his excellent record in this league has taken a year to  get things moving with Soton  

Link - How does being a lone voice make me a sheep?, unless of course you are trying to "pigeon hole" me into a particular group. I do not disagree that last season was poor. So we are three points of relegation, we are also five points off a play off place but do you here me talking about promotion?.

Snakepit - I do not disagree that last season was poor, but my memory is not that bad that I have forgotten what it was like before NW became manager. I have never stated I am happy with our current run of form, I just happen to think talking about being only three points above releagtion nine games into the season is a bit daft, now if we were three points above relegation with only two games to go that would be an entirely different matter, and I have already made it clear that I would hope that the board would have acted way before then.

Showing your soft underbelly here SOB....I suppose that''s what comes from having a dominant Mother.

[quote user="Ramrod"]Showing your soft underbelly here SOB....I suppose that''s what comes from having a dominant Mother.[/quote]

LOL ramrod.

Ramrod - you are revealing one hell of an interesting personality here - gorgeous avatars, a double entrendre name and an (alleged) interest in extremely old necrophilia is starting to build a picture!

[quote user="lucky green trainers"]
the squad is underperforming again. can hunter offer new ideas to bring the players up?

[/quote]

. but according to this very message board, the current way of play is ALL down to Hunter. Sometimes some posters (and this is not directed at ''lucky green trainers'') should read back through their previous arguements and perhaps think through the current ones - inconsistent arguements are made all the weaker for it.

Pretty good memory you have there S.O.B. to be able to recall the football that was played in the pre Worthington era. Pity it did not stretch to remembering that Worthington also contributed to the shambles that we endured during the Rioch/Hamilton period .

[quote user="Sons of Boadicea"]

To start touting us as league winners or play off contenders after five games is absurd

[/quote]

Well, you got that bit right.

How long do you wait?  How long do you give it after last season''s washout?

Fuzzy - I also said to talk about us as relegation candidates after nine games is daft, but you appear to have missed that bit out. I think I have made my position very clear, the board should act if at the turn of the year we are not in contention for a play off place and/or we look to be slipping towards mid table obscurity/relegation, sooner if the poor 4 match run turns into say at poor 10 match run.

Chunky - I take your point re Worthington, but lets be honest as bad as things are now, they are nowhere as bad as the short reign of the "Blarneymeister".

And for the record I was not suggesting that 1st Wiz is a sheep, but that I prefer to make my own mind up about these things rather than run with a particular "flock" (whoever that flock may be).

[quote user="Marty"]sad things is the start of the season promised good football, but things have gone a little pear shaped and we need a good morale boosting victory, especially away from home. But it''s down to the players as much as the manager, give or take the odd injury this is the team that started with confidence this season, so let''s be optimistic because we know the talent is there. It''s not all doom and gloom quite yet, is it?[/quote]

err  Yes it is all doom and gloom - It has been said all summer our squad is too thin, a couple of injuries and a player out of form and suddenly we are getting thrashed away at Coventry and Plymouth and beaton at home by an injury hit, out of form palace side.

14th position...  Last year is happeneing all over again - what a surprise as we have more or less the same squad.  When is Worthy going to get the chop and a new man given a chance to try and REBUILD our squad into a team capable of finishing in the Top 6??

Worthy''s reign has been 6 years - 2 years too long by the looks of things...

HIS TIME HAS BEEN UP FOR A GOOD WHILE, WHEN ARE THE BOARD GOING TO MAKE THE TOUGH DECISION TO REMOVE HIM?

We even have a direct replacement in Hunter as a Caretaker to prove his worth!!

TIME FOR A CHANGE IS NIGH